Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Fusion poor quality

[ New ]
Aside from the constant crashing of the desktop fusion app, the image quality is just awful. I've used the PC app, and the Android app. The Android app doesn't crash, but this is the level of quality I'm getting. This was 5.2k 30fps, then grabbed this image. Bright sunny day, about 5 ft from the subject. There's no reason to get this terrible of an image. My cell phone from 1999 would've taken a better image. Please advise... There's got to be something weird happening. Thank you.
GOPR8886_1592701012596.jpg
GoPro

Re: Fusion poor quality

[ New ]

Hi @quickja

What are the rest of the settings used? Did you have Protune turned on?

What version is your camera on?

Do you observe the same when on Photo mode?

Thanks!

Ej

Nomad

[ New ]

This does indeed look like a screen capture from a low res preview rather than a full quality render.  Since we don't know where this picture came from or what settings where used, it's going to be hard to give advice regarding this one image alone.  So the advice given will be kinda general if you dont' mind.

1:  If Fusion Studio is constantly crashing during export, I created a video that shows a quick fix to stop this from happening (hopefully).  So follow the instructions here:

2:  If you are grabbing still images from a video file the quality is always going to be reduced as in video, there is a natural amount of motion blur that occurs, it's not really noticed in video (being at 30FPS) but it tends to make the video look smooth during playback.  However it's more noticable in image grabs as you're taking one of those blurred frames to use as a single shot.  So for high quality single shots, use photo mode.

3:  With something like a GoPro Hero 8, You're capturing a small rectangle of image at 4K which is really really high quality.  With a 360 degree camera, you're capturing an entire 360 sphere at 6K (stitched to 5.2K).  So if you do zooms in post production with 360 footage and were to match the image against what was taken with a GoPro Hero 8 (same frame size etc) the image quality covering the same area is going to be greatly reduced shooting on a GoPro Fusion.  So it's best not to zoom in on footage.

4:  When using Fusion Studio, there are several export options (export to youtube, export as 4K) and just about all of these options should be ignored.  Always render your footage at the highest quality possible (5.2K or 5.6K depending on what firmware you are using).  This will result in a much larger file for sure, but the file will be of a much higher quality when it comes to editing.  If you choose something like "Export for youtube" you are basically taking your 5.2K footage, rendering it down to 1080P (so 1/5th the quality) and if you use overcapture as an option, you're turning your 5.2K footage into 1080P and then rendering it down again in quality (and when you upload to youtube it's going to add it's own compression anyway).

5:  For best results, always render your footage at the highest quality possible using GoPro Fusion Studio and then edit in something like Adobe Premier Pro.  You'll want the resolution of the project set up to match your original footage settings (5.2K @ 30FPS) and your export to be at least 20MBS at 5.2K @ 30FPS also with a Constant Bit Rate.  Depending on your system this may take some time to export but at least it will be high quality.

Those are just general tips, but if you could provide us with your workflow, where the image came from (app?  Screen capture?  Was a zoom applied, did you do editing in another video program?) we might be able to provide more detailed info.

Tourist

[ New ]
Thank you for the tips.
1. I'll try the fix for the desktop fusion studio app.
2. This image came from a video shot at 30fps, 5.2k, then I used the image grab button on the Android app on my phone. I realize that images from video can be risky as far as resolution. But still...
3. Makes sense, more real estate for the same number of pixels. This image wasn't zoomed in.
4. Thanks for this. I know the compressions make it off leader quality, but wasn't aware of the maybe reduction that occurred. That's helpful to know.

Here's all the info I have on this image:
Gopro Fusion version 1.8
5.2k 30fps, ProTune off.
Videos downloaded to my phone, and using the Android app, I selected grab photo.
That photo was saved to my phone, then I uploaded it. There no post production work to it

When I use the Android app, there's an option to share it save to my phone. I've selected "save to phone," but does that actually render it? The quality is not good with that option. The other option i have is to share to YouTube or Facebook, but I haven't used this options.
Attached is a screen shot of my options with this photo.

Also, the Android app doesn't have an overcapture option. I can do it on my iphone, but not the Android.

Thanks

Screenshot_20200624-091958_GoPro.jpg
Nomad

[ New ]

2. This image came from a video shot at 30fps, 5.2k, then I used the image grab button on the Android app on my phone. I realize that images from video can be risky as far as resolution. But still...

So this is tricky and I have to base it on the screen shot you supplied.

In the screen shot, you are looking at a low resolution preview of the file.  This is becuase of the huge file sizes (x 2) of the 360 camera.  In order to give you a preview on your phone, it has to be low resolution so it's not as taxing.  So I'm sure what you mean when you say "the image grab button on the Android app on my phone".  If you are just doing a screen shot from your phone, you are in actual fact just grabbing a screen shot of the low resolution preview file.  If however you are using the screen shot capture button in the GoPro app (the picture icon in the screen shot), then you are rendering a screen grab.  This still won't be as high quality as a photo, but it's at least better than a screen grab of a low resoution file.

When I use the Android app, there's an option to share it save to my phone. I've selected "save to phone," but does that actually render it?

This is also confusing, so I'll try to clear it up.  There's 2 "Save to phone" options.  1 is when you are browsing the files you have downloaded from the camera.  This "Save to phone" option saves the original, unedited file to your phones media gallery.  The 2nd "save to phone option" is available after you have rendered the file in the GoPro app.  So if you've edited the video or photo, it saves a copy in the GoPro app gallery.  You can then "save to phone" that edit that you've just created.  So two options, with the 1st option being a raw unrendered file, the 2nd option being a rendered file.

The quality is not good with that option. The other option i have is to share to YouTube or Facebook, but I haven't used this options.
Attached is a screen shot of my options with this photo.

When you save to YouTube or Facebook, the file will be compressed by the GoPro app and then compressed again by YouTube or Facebook.  Either way, you're putting the file directly on YouTube or Facebook so you won't have an option to do a screen grab from there.

Also, the Android app doesn't have an overcapture option. I can do it on my iphone, but not the Android.

Android does have an overcapture option, in fact in the screen shot you supplied the reframe button is right there at the bottom of the photo (the circle icon between the "clip" and the "Screen grab" icon).  Once you select the reframe icon you will go into the edit screen and the 3 dots beside the "done" button will allow you to select overcapture.   Please be aware the difference between reframe and overcapture.   They both allow you to make a "flat" video from a 360 file.  The difference is that Reframe does this by using keyframes and angle selection.  Overcapture does this by using the phones gyroscope and you moving the phone like a virtual camera.  

Thanks