Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Fusion overheating issue

Mine hasn't even shut down, but it gets quite warm both in use and when charging - the case is 108 degrees F in a fairly cool room, 74 degrees F. 

Tourist

I purchased a Fusion about a week ago at Best Buy and updated the firmware last night.  The Fusion does have an overheating problem in normal configuration with battery installed.  At room tempurature I was seeing it run for about an hour before shutdown at around 150F.  However, when I removed the battery and left the battery door open, I was able to run continuously.  In my last test (no battery and door open) I filled my 256GB cards to the max and the Fusion shut down because it ran out of space.  That was about almost 8 hours of continous filming using ProTune!  I'm going to investigate this problem further and hopefully come up with a solution that does not involve removing the battery and leaving the door open...

Tourist

I'm from Singapore so it's summer all year round. I tested at 29.5°C / 85°F with the battery removed, and the battery door opened. I only managed a continous recording of 39 minutes before it shutdown. 

GoPro

Hi @arampan

What resolution were you using when you tested the Fusion? When using high resolution or frame rate video modes, it is normal for the camera to become warm and use more power, which in turn decreases recording time. Please check out the article below (link) and see if the short record time is corrected. 

https://gopro.com/help/articles/solutions_troubleshooting/Short-Record-Times

Thanks, 
Marius

Tourist

Shot at 5.2K 30fps, Protune: off

I can confirm that the GoPro Fusion is practically useless for long videos in summer/tropical climates where the average ambient temperature exceeds 29°C because my friends encountered this problem with their units too. In places like cambodia where the temperature hit 34°C, we only got 10-15 minutes of continuous recording.

However, once inside an airconditioned room 24°C or below, the Fusion has no problem recording for long periods

Hiker

Hello @dtcheng  Can you share the link of your 256gb card specifications? Thanks for sharing the information.

Tourist

Samsung 256 EVO Select.  Works great for months so far.  Using it now!

Hiker

@dtcheng Thanks for your reply. Please, gives more details about your way of recording such as:

1. what kind of functions do you enable and disable during the video recording?
  2. what kind of power cable and external battery do you use?

Regards,