Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Fusion overheating issue

[ New ]

Been testing out my Fusion for long shooting periods (I shoot documentary 360 footage) and am having a ton of issues with the camera overheating.  Sometimes I can shoot for 20 minutes, other times 10 minutes.  I am using the cards recommended by GoPro so it's def not a card issue.  Basically the camera stops recording then freezes up while trying to save the video.  This is definitely an issue for me as I need a stable camera that shoot for 30-45 minutes at a time without overheating and freezing up.  Can anyone test their Fusion and see if they get the same issue?  Trying to figure out if mine is defective or not.  Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Fusion overheating issue

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous, 

What resolution were you using when you tested the Fusion? When using high resolution or frame rate video modes, it is normal for the camera to become warm and use more power, which in turn decreases recording time. Please check out the article below (link) and see if the short record time is corrected. 

https://gopro.com/help/articles/solutions_troubleshooting/Short-Record-Times

Thanks, 
Marius

View solution in original post

All Replies
Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi
Unboxed my Fusion yesterday and I will use it to record band performances of about 2 hours.
First test-run is at 5K 25FPS with Protune - Room temp around 20C .... Overheating shut-down after abouot 1 hour.
Will re-run the test without Protune 

Backpacker

[ New ]

i did a 1.5hr 3k video yesterday & not even as hot as my Hero 6 normally gets. I did have no internal battery & running off a powerbank. Also used it for 30minutes at a time as a dashcam using the internal battery & been fine

Hiker

[ New ]

I just tested with no battery and powered by power bank, got just over 10 minutes at 5.2k (protune on) before overheating and freezing up.  Pretty sure I have a defective camera.  

These are the cards I'm using, just want to make sure they aren't the issue.  They are the same ones recommended by GoPro when purchasing the camera. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013CP5IWO

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

The SanDisk Extremes should be ok in the Fusion, but if you have other cards, it would be good to test with those just to see if we can isolate if the cards are the issue or not.

Hiker

[ New ]
I ordered some Extreme Pro cards today, so I will test as soon as I get them in.
Backpacker

[ New ]

i'm using SanDisk 64gb Extreme's, again did another 2x 30min videos while driving & was defo colder than my Hero 6 which had been running at the same time

Hiker

[ New ]

Just tested with the Extreme Pro cards and have the same issue.  definitely a faulty camera.  Will be contacting support for an RMA. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

How do you all know it is an overheating issue?  My camera shuts down as well, its done it several times at different intervals.  One time I had to pull the battery out and put it back in to get the camera to power on again.  But I didn't see any "error" per se, no message that indicated it was overheating.  Is this the same behavior you are seeing?

Hiker

[ New ]
Because the camera was very hot. Other GoPros have this same issue. Exact same behavior. Stops recording, freezes up, and requires a battery pull. Customer service has still not approved my replacement.
Backpacker

[ New ]

i have had a GoPro come up with the overheat, but it did actually flash up with a warning saying "too hot" before shutting down

Anonymous

[ New ]

My Fusion would get too hot (~62 degree C) after recording(5.2K30) ~75 minutes continuously in room temperature.

too_hot_shutting_down.gif

Hiker

[ New ]

So I just got my replacment, and am at over 20 minutes recording with battery in and using a USB battery bank.   Seems like my original unit was defective for sure.  Will update after letting it run and importing/editing.  

Anonymous

[ New ]

Glad your new Fusion is working properly!  Quick question, how do you connect the USB battery without seeing it in the footage? 

Hiker

[ New ]
Anonymous

[ New ]

I am with the same problem, i am a quite worry about that heating disolve same weld...
What gopro suport say about that overheating? I was thinking that this problem was a batery in short circuit

Hiker

[ New ]

Mine hasn't even shut down, but it gets quite warm both in use and when charging - the case is 108 degrees F in a fairly cool room, 74 degrees F. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I purchased a Fusion about a week ago at Best Buy and updated the firmware last night.  The Fusion does have an overheating problem in normal configuration with battery installed.  At room tempurature I was seeing it run for about an hour before shutdown at around 150F.  However, when I removed the battery and left the battery door open, I was able to run continuously.  In my last test (no battery and door open) I filled my 256GB cards to the max and the Fusion shut down because it ran out of space.  That was about almost 8 hours of continous filming using ProTune!  I'm going to investigate this problem further and hopefully come up with a solution that does not involve removing the battery and leaving the door open...

Anonymous

[ New ]

I'm from Singapore so it's summer all year round. I tested at 29.5°C / 85°F with the battery removed, and the battery door opened. I only managed a continous recording of 39 minutes before it shutdown. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous, 

What resolution were you using when you tested the Fusion? When using high resolution or frame rate video modes, it is normal for the camera to become warm and use more power, which in turn decreases recording time. Please check out the article below (link) and see if the short record time is corrected. 

https://gopro.com/help/articles/solutions_troubleshooting/Short-Record-Times

Thanks, 
Marius

Anonymous

[ New ]

Shot at 5.2K 30fps, Protune: off

I can confirm that the GoPro Fusion is practically useless for long videos in summer/tropical climates where the average ambient temperature exceeds 29°C because my friends encountered this problem with their units too. In places like cambodia where the temperature hit 34°C, we only got 10-15 minutes of continuous recording.

However, once inside an airconditioned room 24°C or below, the Fusion has no problem recording for long periods

Hiker

[ New ]

Hello @dtcheng  Can you share the link of your 256gb card specifications? Thanks for sharing the information.

Tourist

[ New ]

Samsung 256 EVO Select.  Works great for months so far.  Using it now!

Hiker

[ New ]

@dtcheng Thanks for your reply. Please, gives more details about your way of recording such as:

1. what kind of functions do you enable and disable during the video recording?
  2. what kind of power cable and external battery do you use?

Regards,

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi @dtcheng ... Can you answer my questions, please?

Regards,

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm shooting video with protune running.  Depending on the tempurature, I may or not have an overheating problem and if I'm shooting at room temp, I close all doors.  If in a hot situation where overheating is a big problem, I remove the battery and run with external USB3 power, or allow cooling between sessions.  Using black gaff tape you can hide the powerline out of sight for stitching and record continuously.  The external battery needs to have 2a or more at 5v.

Hiker

[ New ]

@dtcheng .. Thanks for answering my questions and sharing the information.. Regards

Tourist

[ New ]

I have also been running my Fusion with an EasyAcc Power bank, the battery removed and the door partially open to breathe otherwise is overheats and crashes...just like the Heros do too if they get hot.

my USB C cable is not the 90 degree angle type, but even curving it down to the tripod base it does not show on the lenses, nor does the partially open battery door. I did shoot once with battery out and door closed and the camera overheated.

As for recording times, I did shoot a 3 hour continuous clip, but that was a huge error, since the three hour clip WON'T LOAD in Fusion Studio, (I have succedded in getting a 1.5 hour clip to load and render) and when I tried separating into two 1.5 hour folders, the Fusion Studio app WON'T recognize the last 1.5 hours of footage!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know a workaround for just loading the second half of the segmented clips?

I am guessing the first clip recorded contains metadata to inform the merging of all clips from the entire take before stitching...Any suggestions?

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi @carnavalpix .. Sorry to heat that you faced a problem in your recorded video. I hope someone can help you to recover it. I suggest to contact GoPro suport. They may able to help to recover it. I think this issue is due to the overheating.

We need to find away to push/rotate the air inside the camera to reduce the heat in the camera. I am thinking to use micro fan as a replacement of the internal battery similiar to the one shown in the below link. Other idea is to insert mini pipe to vacumm or blow in the place of interenal battery.

I believe that the overheating problem is related to Fusion design error. GoPro should find away to adapt heat sink attahed to outside surface to release the camera heat.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01406OSNE/ref=psdc_11036291_t2_B0761Z3Y4L

Sightseer

[ New ]

@carnavalpix wrote:

I have also been running my Fusion with an EasyAcc Power bank, the battery removed and the door partially open to breathe otherwise is overheats and crashes...just like the Heros do too if they get hot.

my USB C cable is not the 90 degree angle type, but even curving it down to the tripod base it does not show on the lenses, nor does the partially open battery door. I did shoot once with battery out and door closed and the camera overheated.

As for recording times, I did shoot a 3 hour continuous clip, but that was a huge error, since the three hour clip WON'T LOAD in Fusion Studio, (I have succedded in getting a 1.5 hour clip to load and render) and when I tried separating into two 1.5 hour folders, the Fusion Studio app WON'T recognize the last 1.5 hours of footage!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know a workaround for just loading the second half of the segmented clips?

I am guessing the first clip recorded contains metadata to inform the merging of all clips from the entire take before stitching...Any suggestions?

did you solve that problem?

Sightseer

[ New ]
did you solve that problem?