Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker
Accepted Solution

Fusion overheating issue

Been testing out my Fusion for long shooting periods (I shoot documentary 360 footage) and am having a ton of issues with the camera overheating.  Sometimes I can shoot for 20 minutes, other times 10 minutes.  I am using the cards recommended by GoPro so it's def not a card issue.  Basically the camera stops recording then freezes up while trying to save the video.  This is definitely an issue for me as I need a stable camera that shoot for 30-45 minutes at a time without overheating and freezing up.  Can anyone test their Fusion and see if they get the same issue?  Trying to figure out if mine is defective or not.  Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Fusion overheating issue

Hi @arampan

What resolution were you using when you tested the Fusion? When using high resolution or frame rate video modes, it is normal for the camera to become warm and use more power, which in turn decreases recording time. Please check out the article below (link) and see if the short record time is corrected. 

https://gopro.com/help/articles/solutions_troubleshooting/Short-Record-Times

Thanks, 
Marius

View solution in original post

All Replies
Tourist

Hi
Unboxed my Fusion yesterday and I will use it to record band performances of about 2 hours.
First test-run is at 5K 25FPS with Protune - Room temp around 20C .... Overheating shut-down after abouot 1 hour.
Will re-run the test without Protune 

Backpacker

[ Edited ]

i did a 1.5hr 3k video yesterday & not even as hot as my Hero 6 normally gets. I did have no internal battery & running off a powerbank. Also used it for 30minutes at a time as a dashcam using the internal battery & been fine

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

I just tested with no battery and powered by power bank, got just over 10 minutes at 5.2k (protune on) before overheating and freezing up.  Pretty sure I have a defective camera.  

These are the cards I'm using, just want to make sure they aren't the issue.  They are the same ones recommended by GoPro when purchasing the camera. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013CP5IWO

GoPro Community Manager

The SanDisk Extremes should be ok in the Fusion, but if you have other cards, it would be good to test with those just to see if we can isolate if the cards are the issue or not.

Hiker

I ordered some Extreme Pro cards today, so I will test as soon as I get them in.
Backpacker

i'm using SanDisk 64gb Extreme's, again did another 2x 30min videos while driving & was defo colder than my Hero 6 which had been running at the same time

Hiker

Just tested with the Extreme Pro cards and have the same issue.  definitely a faulty camera.  Will be contacting support for an RMA.