Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Fusion - Karting footage vibration

[ New ]

Open to suggestions here, I used to mount my fusion atop my helmet - looks a bit goofy but decent footage.  Had to move it to a different location after helmet usage was outlawed by the motor sports regulator.  Mounting it on the kart itself the picture isnt great - wayy too much vibration, engine revs up to 16000rpm so vibration from it through the chassis is quite high, but see where the kart crosses kerbs and rumble strips - vibration through the camera is mad.

One point - I had it mounted on the rear bumper for a while, whilst the footage was good without much vibration (but then it was mounted on a rubbery plastic bumper rather than hard metal radiator as it currently is), the angle wasnt the best.  One fine evening though the camera came adrift from the bumper and bounced along the track for about 20m before coming to rest in the gravel - thankfully the lenses survived without a scratch but I'm wondering would it have affected the stabilisation?

Is there some rubber material I can put beneath the mount to absorb some vibrations?  Does the new Max offer an improvement?

See the latest footage here - rendered stabilisation is set to anti-shake.

Cheers

Ric.

This video is about our most recent Team Training at Al Forsan International Sports resort, Abu Dhabi.On track:Hamda Al Qubaisi IAME ShifterLukas Randerath R...

Accepted Solutions
Nomad

Re: Fusion - Karting footage vibration

[ New ]

The reason you're seeing so much obvious vibration is due to the fact the GoPro Fusion can only do 30FPS @ 5.2K and 24FPS @ 5.6K (using firmware 2.0).

The stabilization from GoPro Fusion Studio removes most of the shake and stops the dreaded Jello effect you'd get with other camera's, but with the amount of vibration and the speed at which the vibration occurs, there's very few options available to you.  The bumps and vibration are just occuring at such a rate that there's huge information gaps between frames resulting in what you're seeing.

1:  Shoot in 3K @ 60FPS.  You'll have a lower resolution picture but it will help with the amount of vibration that you're seeing.

or

2:  Since the video link you sent was mostly looking in the 1 direction all the time, you may want to stop using a 360 camera and use a more traditional viewpoint (such as a Hero 8 shooting @120 FPS).  Even use a 2-3 camera setup.  Since you're having to mount the 360 camera so close to the cart, there's also very obvious stitching issues so the footage doesn't look that great anyway.  So you'd be better off using a different camera setup that not only removes the vibration issue but actually looks good too.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nomad

Re: Fusion - Karting footage vibration

[ New ]

The reason you're seeing so much obvious vibration is due to the fact the GoPro Fusion can only do 30FPS @ 5.2K and 24FPS @ 5.6K (using firmware 2.0).

The stabilization from GoPro Fusion Studio removes most of the shake and stops the dreaded Jello effect you'd get with other camera's, but with the amount of vibration and the speed at which the vibration occurs, there's very few options available to you.  The bumps and vibration are just occuring at such a rate that there's huge information gaps between frames resulting in what you're seeing.

1:  Shoot in 3K @ 60FPS.  You'll have a lower resolution picture but it will help with the amount of vibration that you're seeing.

or

2:  Since the video link you sent was mostly looking in the 1 direction all the time, you may want to stop using a 360 camera and use a more traditional viewpoint (such as a Hero 8 shooting @120 FPS).  Even use a 2-3 camera setup.  Since you're having to mount the 360 camera so close to the cart, there's also very obvious stitching issues so the footage doesn't look that great anyway.  So you'd be better off using a different camera setup that not only removes the vibration issue but actually looks good too.