Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Full footage is being broken down into little 6:49 clips, why is this?

Hello GoPro team. The other day I was taking footage of me on my bike, but then when I put the micro SD card into my computer, I noticed that my 24-minute video was being broken down into 6:49 clips. I then ejected the micro SD card and put it back into the GoPro, and I took a look at the media in the GoPro and saw that the video was still 24 minutes long. I put it back into my computer again and saw that there were still little 6:49 clips, why is this, and how can I change so that the full video can be uploaded into my computer?   

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Full footage is being broken down into little 6:49 clips, why is this?

@peppybluff0151, this is called File Chaptering in the GoPro cameras. When taking a video recording, the camera will automatically segment into a new file chapter once it has reached a certain size. This is intentional so in the event of a jolt or crash that causes a file to become corrupted, only a portion of your video will be affected and not the whole thing.

These files when put together with editing software will play seamlessly as if they were never chaptered, and when played back from the camera directly will also play through as one continuation.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

@peppybluff0151, this is called File Chaptering in the GoPro cameras. When taking a video recording, the camera will automatically segment into a new file chapter once it has reached a certain size. This is intentional so in the event of a jolt or crash that causes a file to become corrupted, only a portion of your video will be affected and not the whole thing.

These files when put together with editing software will play seamlessly as if they were never chaptered, and when played back from the camera directly will also play through as one continuation.

Highlighted
Adventurer

GopRo  labs just released new firmware that createss 12gb file chapering,   maybe fw 1.70. will help you out not found on the main  product page.