Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Freeze screen on GoPro Hero 6

Hmmm, this sounds like a playback issue. When you get the first frame stuck and audio only, what are you using to playback the video (Computer specs, OS, software)? Is the media still on the card or has it been transferred over to your computer? Have you tried uploading the video (raw with no editing) directly to YouTube or Vimeo and checked to see if you could play the video in its entirety?

What resolution/frame rate are you filming in? Is Protune on or Off?
Highlighted
Tourist

No, it's not pc issue definitly, I have ryzen 1600, 16gb ram, rx 580 8gb video card, Windows 10 x64 proffesional. There are couple of topics on the internet and a couple of them on this forum with the same issue. It's also part of the camera/sd card/software freezing issue.

Not matter if the file is still on the card, inside of the camera, in the card reader or on the hard drive it wont playback and file is corrupted when you scroll videos/photos in the camera gallery.

I got used to this issue and every time when I start recording, first I check on the screen if video is "moving" when I move the camera but it's preaty annoying that you have to think of this on the 500$ cammera.

I record my rides mostly in 4k, 30 fps, superview, protune on and stabilisation on.

Highlighted
Explorer

Strange, I've never had that happen. Can you upload the video to YouTube and then post here so we can see what it looks like?
Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

This is the similar thread:

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/GoPro-Hero-6-Video-has-sound-but-picture-freezes/td-p/158484

At the moment I don't have any of those corrupted files but there are a couple of them on YouTube.

This one is representing the issue, the only difference is that mine videos are stuck on the first frame and this one got frozen after couple of seconds.

Highlighted
Explorer

Is your camera on the latest firmware?
After watching the video I remembered having this happen once on mine early on before the latest updates. I was using a Lexar 1000X at the time. It only happened that one time, but I was also having issues with the camera locking up when switching from recording in HEVC to h.264. Since performing all of the updates manually I haven't had any issues.

I've owned the Hero6 since the day it was released and film 3-5 days a week so I certainly give it plenty of wear and tear.

If the new SD card and a manual update (whether your on the latest firmware or not) don't fix your issue, contact the GoPro Support Team so they can exchange your camera.

Best of luck!