Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Freeze screen on GoPro Hero 6

Hello @stoutpike71523

If you have already gone through the recommended steps here, and the issue still persists whether it is only observed for HEVC files, it would be best to contact our Support team for further assistance. You can reach them via phone or chat here https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks, 

Marius

Highlighted
Tourist

@mariustanya wrote:

Hello @stoutpike71523

If you have already gone through the recommended steps here, and the issue still persists whether it is only observed for HEVC files, it would be best to contact our Support team for further assistance. You can reach them via phone or chat here https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks, 

Marius

I've made all recomended by you steps. I think it may be some buffer problem/thing, because if I try to preview file when:

A.

I have only non HEVC files -  camera not freezing

B.

I try open non HEVC file but next recoreded (neighboring directly on SD card / in Media view) is HEVC - freezing.

C.

I try open non HEVC file and first recorded after it was non HEVC and secend HEVC (neighboring NOT directly on SD card) - not freezing.

D.

I try to open HEVC file - always freezing.

It's start freezing after moment when I try to preview files (like in cases A-D).

Highlighted
GoPro

Thank you for posting back with more details on the issue, @stoutpike71523

Did you notice if the specific resolution setting used for the HEVC file matters? or the file size perhaps? I did simulations using the same pattern that you presented but has not experienced any freezing with the playback on any of the HEVC files. No freezing observed as well for any of the HEVC resolutions (1080p at 240fps, 4K at 60fps, 2.7K at 120 fps, 2.7K (4:3) at 60 fps, even 4k (4:3) at 24 fps). I did short clips though just for testing. 

Still, best to get in touch with our Support team as the issue maybe with the specific unit that you have. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Highlighted
Sightseer

Just bought mine today and first record attempt did this. Did the first update.
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @bravestorm576

Thanks for choosing GoPro to capture great moments!

How's the camera after the update?

What SD card are you using?

Regards!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Does any of you have experience with the Samsung Pro Plus card?
I want to move on 32gb version.

Since I switched from my six years old Samsung class 10 32gb, which btw worked perfectly on my previous action cams, to recommend SanDisk Extreme 64gb (the one from the list) I started facing with freezing issue.

Every fifth or sixth video get stuck on the first frame.

I sold the old card (Samsung), so I can't use it again and I want to switch on Samsung again, this time to Pro Plus version.

My friend has Extreme Pro and he is also facing with freezing issue. I don't want to use SanDisk anymore...if this problem is card related..
Highlighted
Explorer

I'm not a huge fan of SanDisk but the Extreme v30 (v30 is important) has been working very good for me. I primarily have been using Samsung Pro, Pro+ and Pro Select in my cameras since the Hero4. Interestingly enough, the card that has been the most reliable is the Pro followed by the Pro+ and with the Pro Select being the least reliable. I used the Pro+ about a month ago and nearly filled the 64GB card without issues. I filmed mostly in 4K/30 and 2.7/60 so I can't speak for how well it will hold up to the HEVC format.

One thing to consider when purchasing your card is the prevalence of counterfeit cards being sold (especially on sites like Amazon). You really want to inspect the packaging before you open it up and always purchase from a reputable source. Stick to 32GB and 64GB as they are less likely to have been manipulated to show a larger storage capacity than they actually have.

Be sure to run a manual update on your camera when you get the new card (even if you are on the latest firmware) just to make sure you have a clean install. Go to preferences and factory reset before and after the firmware update. It's also a good idea to format periodically (FULL not quick) in your computer and always do a second format in the camera once done. Always offload your media at the end of your days shoot and format the card in the camera before you start filming again.
Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for info, that's wait I needed.

I'll go to Samsing Pro Plus but 32gb.

Sandisk Extreme that I have is also v30, full format on PC, manual software update several times, format through camera software after every ride and still facing with freezing (stuck on the first frame with audio only).

I didn't have any of this issues while I was using the old one Samsung with 23mb/s read and 10 mb/s writte speed.