Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Freeze screen on GoPro Hero 6

My Hero6 is freezing constantly and I unwrapped it today. Just by going from one menu to another or with just switching camera modes.

Just a side note, for others that are taking out the batteries, holding in the mode button over 3 sec and then release will reset the camera.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Freeze screen on GoPro Hero 6

Hello @stoutpike71523

If you have already gone through the recommended steps here, and the issue still persists whether it is only observed for HEVC files, it would be best to contact our Support team for further assistance. You can reach them via phone or chat here https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks, 

Marius

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Hiker

I had the same issue when I tested my GoPro Hero 6 yesterday.

I'm going to return it tomorrow (there's another issue with heavy grain).

Unbelievable...does GoPro really expect their customers to use such a faulty product and wait for an update which might or might not fix the issues?

How about releasing a product which just works?

Highlighted
Explorer

Strange, I've had no issues with my Hero6, including grain. Yes, if I keep the settings on default the Hero6 is brighter than my Hero5 so the grain is more noticeable, but by dropping the ISO I've found I can get a cleaner and still brighter picture/video.

As far as freezing issues, what SD card are you using? Is it new? Have you done a full format on it in the computer and then again it the camera? I'm not saying this is what's causing it, but typically with past cameras the SD card is usually the culprit.
Highlighted
Tourist

I am the same problem here after updating my new hero 6 to latest version. 

gopro_freez.jpg
Highlighted
Explorer

Use Lexar 1000x or Samsung Pro, Pro+, or Pro Select. If you use a SanDisk (which I personally don't recommend) use the Extreme Pro or at least the Extreme. Do not use SanDisk Ultra or Samsung Evo.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Guys, this is not a new problem by GoPro cameras. I had the problem on my GoPro 2,3 & 4 . (i didn´t got a 5 because of all problems before)

The problem is the chip (CPU) they use in the camera on so less space. It is getting to warm and then the camera freezes.

The chip don´t get any ventelation and just gets to warm.

Of course the setup, the camera in itself, the quality of the lense... is great but if you can not use it, it is not worth to buy anymore.

Highlighted
Hiker

Since I updated to the newest firmware (01.51)  my Hero 6 freezes up (black screen) on recording superview on all resolutions and frame rates.  It records fine on linear and wide modes on any resoltion and frame rate.  It must be a firmware issue. It cannot be an issue with the Memory Card as the data rate for 4K 60p wide would be much higher than 1080p 30 superwide.  I hope Go Pro will solve this soon. I really rely on the superview for my kite videos, so my brand new Hero 6 is pretty much useless now.

Please fix this soon Go Pro!

--

Gunnar

Highlighted
Sightseer

[ Edited ]

I have the same issue. Just bought it brand new aprox 1 week ago. It froze on the first day I bought it. I thought it is a firmware issue in the factory version. Did a firmware upgrade from GoPro and the problem seems to appear slightly less frequently. I used only 1080p/60fps untill now. I did not verify that it happens in wide or linear, like somebody observed on this forum.

I am using SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB V30, according to this page:

https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

It is my first GoPro, waited for it for more than 2 years. It is a sad experience untill now :( 

I really hope it gets fixed quickly in the next firmware upgrade.