Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Freeze during record

[ New ]

Today the Hero7 Black freezed during a record. It was quite a disappointment. The Hero7 was is 2.7K@60fps with stabilization on. I turned it on remotely with the GoPro app and started recording. After several minutes I wanted to check the recoding but could not connect to the Hero7 anymore. It turned out that the entire cam freezed. The LCD was showing the last recorded frame. The cam did not react to anything. It did not turn off upon pressing the on/off button. I had to remove the battery. After plugging in the battery again, something like "recovering files" was shown for a couple of seconds. Luckily at least the first 2 minutes of the video are on the sd card. But the rest of the footage is gone.

I am using the Samsung EVO Plus 128Gb, which is in the list of recommended sd cards for the Hero7. I did a manual update, which worked fine. The camera was connected to an external battery during recording. Maybe this information is helpful.

Before the update to v1.51 I had several freezes, even when in standby mode. I hope that GoPro is working on the next firmware and that the stability of the Hero7 will be improved. This is my first GoPro, I used Sonys for several years before and never had freezing issues with those.

Adventurer

Re: Freeze during record

[ New ]

try a ful format of that card  samsungswer removed a few years back off hte gopro list.      hiccupshappen, did you try before the removeal a 15 second long press?  if you said  the file was repaired then  it dod not save all that may been the issue bad sector of card?

Hiker

[ New ]

chek out this page: https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

My card is on the list! It is a Samsung!

I did format the card within the Hero7 menu before. I used this card in my Sony x3000, never had issues with "bad sectors".

No, I did not try to hold down the on/off button for 15 seconds. That would however not solve the problem, since the cam froze minutes before I tried to connect to it again via the GoPro app.

edit: Cam frozen minutes before I noted it. It probably froze when I tried to reconenct to it via the app and while it was recording.

settings I used:

2.7K / 60fps

Hypersmooth on

ISO min/max: 100/200

white balance: auto

view angle: linear

sharpness level: medium

color: natural

The cam was connected to an external source via USB (power pack, fully charged). The battery of the cam was at 100%.

Hiker

[ New ]

I will plug the sd card into a usb reader and check for sector errors. However, I don't think this was the issue.

Adventurer

[ New ]

thank you.   gopro hero cameras do not do full formats a computer will do that, so  like I did not mention in full , do it on the machine a full, not quick.    thianks again  ow the next time that happens try the mode on like said , hold for 15 seconds that will  reset, shut off the camera, so no need to take out hte frame, open the  bat door each time a trouble persists.

If you have another sdxc card to try I suggest to d othat, and   you may want to contact gopro if all else fails.

Happy thnaks giving

FISH

Hiker

[ New ]

Did a full format on a Windows 10 machine, no problems at all. Inserted the card back into Hero7 and did a format again. Time will show if the freezing issue will appear again. The problem is that I'm not the only one who reports random freezes. The standard answer then is "it's the sd card". But I think there is also a problem with the firmware. I really hope that the stability of the cam will be improved with future firmware updates.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Great to hear,  the higher cap you use the more an issue.  If you  believe it will happen again use a lower cap card?