Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Flashing pink blocks on video, random freezing, dotted lines across the video

I bought my Hero 7 Black around March this year. It's probably been used between 5 and 10 hours in total. It has the latest firmware which was initially updated from the smartphone app, and then a manual update directly from the memory card. The memory card (I have tried several) is a Sandisk 64GB U3 on the recommended / supported list. I have also tried another Sandisk 32GB U3. All cards are fairly new with little use. The camera has also had a factory reset.

I have had random freezes since I bought the camera. Most of the time I have to remove the battery to get it to work again.

I took the camera out for the first time on my bike yesterday. Some intial freezing of the camera to start with as is usual. When reviewing the footage, one of the videos starts to record normally for a few minutes and then freezes, but the audio is still recording. In other ones, there are sporadic flashes of pink covering large parts of the video. And in another there is a thin link of dots through the centre of the screen on occassions.

I have to say that as the first GoPro camera I have bought, it is really quite disappointing. If you can't press record and rely on the thing to capture a the video as you intended then it is largely useless.

Any advice?

Adventurer

Re: Flashing pink blocks on video, random freezing, dotted lines across the video

You tried a lot there. have you .  Try to  take the card to  a computer and right click on the driver  locate format, and when the Dilog opens up Uncheck the box that clearly says quick format. and   fully format  after the full format do a quick format, then t othe camera anothere format,   and then go and test out again and report back  if the Pink  lines are still there.

SOunds like a card  issue but can also be a sensor image issue.   if it is still there then Iz suggest to   get with support why  they are there  to help and replace any   defective and faulty units (wink)

Hiker

Re: Flashing pink blocks on video, random freezing, dotted lines across the video

Thanks for the response. I shall try that and report back as soon as I've given it enough of a test to reproduce the problem (or not). As stated I've also used a smaller but compatible card, so I don't think that's the problem.

I'll upload a couple of shots from the video as well. In the case of the line of dots on the screen, they actually look somewhat like a Bayer pattern rather than corrupt video or any kind of compression artifacts, so I am quite convinced that the camera has a fault.

Adventurer

if so then call  gopro.

Hiker

[ Edited ]

Sorry if the images are a bit big, but there are some subtle lines which make it clearer when enlarged.

These are stills from the video. I should have mentioned that the camera is mounted upside down.

vlcsnap-2019-06-11-17h04m24s452.jpg

vlcsnap-2019-06-11-17h07m51s218.jpg

Not so easy to see on the smaller images, so here is an original with the line of dots I was talking about:

vlcsnap-2019-06-11-17h08m50s668.jpg

It's a line of mainly red dots horizontally which cuts the people ahead in the picture. There are also blue and green dots in the other video grabs not posted.

Adventurer

sorry this is hte expeerience we do not like for our gopro users to have. so please.... getto a rep  that to me is not normal at all.     just direct the rep to the thread when calling.  has to be a faulty camera and sensor

Hiker

Thank you for your help fishycomics. I shall call support tomorrow when they are open.