Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Firmware Update failed Hero 4

My issue miraculously solved itself literally over night. Firmware update kept on failing with a red light blinking and unable to turn the gp off. Removed battery and whenever I put it back in, same thing and no way to turn it off. Left the battery out all night and tried one last time in the morning and it said, firmware 100% updated! Very weird but it works now.
Highlighted
Tourist

When I updated to V3.0 the same thing happened. After letting it spin for 75 minutes, I turned the camera off and back on - and it completed the update. 

Here's a post about the whole process.

http://clicklikethis.com/update-gopro-hero4-firmware/

Highlighted
Anonymous

Exactly the same problem as I'm having. Have reformatted, unzipped and still fails.

App is useless.

Studio is unnecessarily user-unfriendly.

Thinking of returning and purchasing alternative.

Did anyone ever find a solution?

Highlighted
Anonymous

Yeah, check my post on page 2 of this thread. And the one below it may be of help too
Highlighted
Anonymous

I had the same problem, finally fixed it by using a different SD card. I had to buy a 16GB Samsung card at my local BestBuy for $9.

I just followed the manual update instructions by dragging the UPDATE folder onto the new card, putting it in the camera and turning it on.

Here's the discussion on Reddit where I think this was originally mentioned: https://www.reddit.com/r/gopro/comments/3fi6jy/hero4_silver_firmware_update_failed/

Highlighted
Anonymous

Yeah that looks the thing I saw originally. Nice find!

Seems it works for most people if not all. It cost me £2 to try, so it was worth it.
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi everyone, 

I'm glad to see you've been finding a solution for the updates that were initially failing. I got in contact with one of our camera experts to see why this might be the case, as we wouldn't recommend some of the cards mentioned to film or take pictures with the camera. He informed me that most likely there could be a bad bit in the original cards that were being used as SD cards eventually do wear out as you write to them and format them. Since the 32GB and 64GB cards probably had more mileage on them and had been written to more than the small cards had been, a very small portion of the card may have lost its responsiveness to files written on the card. 

When a single bit is damaged on a card, this won't cause a problem with data such as a picture or video. There is enough data in the good bits to still complete a picture and you won't notice any difference. The update is a long string of code, though, so a single bad bit could interrupt that code and cause the update to fail. For that reason, it may be that ANY new SD card, even another 32GB or 64GB one would have done the trick, though that would have cost a bit more than the ones you have mentioned. 

This was a learning experience for me as well. Our hope is that the Support Hub will remain a place where the GoPro Community can collaborate and share their knowledge with each other. 

Matt B. 

GoPro Support Hub Moderator

Highlighted
Anonymous

Hi Matt

Thanks for the information. I totally get what you're saying about bad bits on a used card, but in my case it was a box fresh SD when I attempted the update. I setup the app and the first thing it did was download the update, so I didn't even take one pic or video.

I can give you the make and model if you guys wanna run some tests.

The sad thing is once I updated and finally did take a vid, I had the helicopter noise issue, so it's gone back under RMA. I got the camera as an Xmas present and I've not been able to use it once in nearly 6 weeks. It's been in the Netherlands for a month!