Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous

Firmware Update failed Hero 4

During the updating of the camera it started flashing red lights and it doesnt stop. The screen keeps on showing a notification which says Firmware update failed. It is not possible to turn it off because after a few seconds it starts again by itself. I already tried all different ways of updating (Via USB, SD-Card, GoPro Studio, GoPro App) It doesnt work. Can someone please help me with this?

Highlighted
Anonymous

firmware update failed

during the updating of the camera it started flashing red lights and it doesnt stop. it is not possible to turn it off because after a few seconds it starts again by itself

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: firmware update failed

If you're doing the manual update  and the camera is stuck in the update i would remove battery , reformat the sd card and install the firmware again, please make sure if you unzipped the firmware file that download from their website. It happened the same to me because i copyed the zip file to root of the SD card without zipping it first.

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Firmware Update failed Hero 4

Try the manual update, in my opinion is the best way to do it.  If the camera gets stucked try to reformat the card before  you start the update and make sure you unziped the firmware file, copy the the 3 decompressed  files to the root of the card and the update should go ok.

Highlighted
GoPro

Great tips @macnamek

One quick thing to clarify, though, is that for the manual update on the HERO3+ and newer you'll actually move the UPDATE folder (still extracted from the zip file) to the root of the card rather than moving just the 3 or 4 files inside of that folder. 

Does that allow the update to go through successfully @Anonymous?

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @mattb What i meant was that you always need to unzip, but obviously you can move the UPDATE folder :) 

Highlighted
Tourist

Having the same issue. However, how do I format the SD card manually if I don't have an adapter? Am I missing the obvious, or do I need to head to the shops? Thanks guys. C

Highlighted
Anonymous

Same issue. Update never finishes and I have to do a combination of removing the SD, plugging into PC and removing the battery before I can get back to a normal state. Have tried updating manually (after formatting SD in cam and on pc), via app and GoPro Studio. Would appreciate if anyone knows of a fix, or it's going back for a refund. My first GoPro, likely my last at this rate