Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Nomad

Firmware Downgrade Hero9

Since there are apparently problems with the firmware update xx (at least according to some postings a microphone adapter / MediaMod is not recognized), where can you download the original firmware that is loaded in the Hero9 ex works in the event that a downgrade is necessary?
What other problems are known with the new firmware?

Highlighted
Nomad

Betreff: Firmware Downgrade Hero9

Sorry - I mean Firmware Update 1.21.

Highlighted
Nomad

You cant, GoPro dont allow this. They force you to basically become a software beta tester. You have to put up with the bugs and issues for months, sometimes years before they fix them. Only to introduce more bugs and issues for you to test. 

If you could roll back they wouldnt be able to force this testing regime on their customers. This strategy saves them money as they dont have to implement a real testing process.

Highlighted
Nomad

[ Edited ]

As far as I can tell, there are these problems:
- Microphone adapter / MediaMod is not recognized

- Remote control is not compatible
- with 2k7 there are only 60 and 120fps, but not 24 and 30 fps
- even at 4k the image quality is bad (washed out / muddy)
Are these problems only present after the update to 1.21?

So is it better not to update?

Highlighted
Hiker

The Smart Remote will not be compatible with the Hero 9. Can you believe that garbage? Unbelievable.

I updated right out of the box and am scratching my head as to why all the missing lower frame rates. What the heck are they doing over there? 

'They are advertising features that cannot even be used because the Media Mod and Max Lens Mod isn't even available for purchase. 🙄

This camera was not ready for market and they just threw it on us to meet a deadline. What a shame. I almost feel as if I was scammed. 

Pack everything up and send it all back, everyone. GoPro has pulled some shady stuff on us with the Hero 9.

Highlighted
Nomad

I have now tested myself with firmware 1.21: MediaMod or microphone adapter is not recognized. I can't comment on that, I don't have either ... The remote control is not compatible - I don't have either, but there is no menu item to pair the remote control. With 2k7 there is no 25/30 FPS - if you activate Maxvideo the existing one - should be reserved for the LensMod. Video is blurry / muddy. As soon as you have found the right settings, the video is brilliant!
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Firmware Downgrade Hero9

I dont think the v 1.0 firmware was available as thats what came out of box with.

I keep copies of firmware updates as they happen so have a way to backtrack if needed.

The 1.21 was on the download site from day one of offical release.

Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Firmware Downgrade Hero9

So what firmware did the GoPro peeps use to create all the amazing marketing videos? Obviously not the firmware that was released on the day of lunch on the 16th.