Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Filesystem used by GoPro for SD cards and using that card later in Android phone

[ Edited ]

Hello,

what is the file system that GoPro Hero 7 uses for formatting the SD card according to its requirements?

Can I put this card in the Android phone later after recording some footage - will there be no problem with regards to the filesystem used?

I want to make instant backup of videos to youtube, since on my trip I will not have access to my computer.

Regards,

Peter

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Filesystem used by GoPro for SD cards and using that card later in Android phone

I have not checked this out but my understanding is large cards (128gb) get formatted to exfat and smaller cards to fat. If its a samsung galaxy phone since at least 3 it can read both fat and exfat. Otherwise check your phone supports exfat or can by a third party explorer app. All phones support fat.

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Filesystem used by GoPro for SD cards and using that card later in Android phone

I have a Sony Xperia XZ Premium with Android 8.0.

Thank you for the answer!

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @crbgopro

After transferring the files to your Android phone, we recommend formatting the SD card from your camera's settings menu.

Formatting the SD card allows the camera to initialize it for use in your GoPro.

Regards,

Ej

Highlighted
Hiker

@aragon1006

Why should I reformat it just after placing in in my Android phone? The phone will not reformat it in its own way, so the filesystem will stay the way it was on GoPro 7.

Am I right?

Highlighted
Explorer

The phone won't format, but it can change the file structure.
Highlighted
Nomad

[ Edited ]

Might be some huge file uploads going on for you, depending on use. 

Are you sure that is best?

Highlighted
Hiker

I can't think of any other way of making a backup, while not having access to my PC during holidays. Putting SD card into the phone and uploading to youtube/maybe some cloud service seems to be the best idea. Yes, I know it may take a while but I am pretty sure there will be access to some decent Wi-Fi (6 Mbps+ upload), so I can upload the files from one day (avg. 6GB of data) within 2 hours.