Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Files not showing up in file explorer

[ New ]

Simply put my videos are not showing in file browser. I literally used the camera yesterday and had no problem pulling the files up on my computer, but today for some reason when i plug the camera into my computer nothing is showing up.

I dont think the files are corrupted because i can still see them on my phone with the Quik app. And I even was able to download one video from that app to my phone, so thats why i dont think they are corrupted.

I also tried downloading the Quik app for my pc and that program is also telling me that "theres nothing to import" once connected. The gopro it self is being reconized by my computer and it shows on the side bar in file browser when i connect it through the USB, but the DCIM folder is just empty. I tried to see if i needed to update drivers and that wasnt it. I tried to make my PC "forget" the gopro and then plug it back in and have it setup again, that didnt work.

The ghost video files are still taking up the space on the SD card so i think they are there. If i had to take a guess, I accidently did something with a video in the Quik app on my phone before pluging in the USB, and now they are not showing up for some reason? Either way this is extremely frustrating, cause it worked fine yesterday.

I also want it to be clear that i can still view the low res videos from the Quik app on my phone and even download the full res on my phone from Quik. Any solutions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Screenshot (10).png

Accepted Solutions
Nomad

Re: Files not showing up in file explorer

[ New ]

Rather than try to just get your post count up on a support sub, maybe actually try and give somewhat of a decently helpful reply.

I'm sure that comment would be relevant if post counts actually meant anything (they don't). 

I've see you comment the EXACT same thing on other posts of people asking for help, and to what avail?

I comment the exact same thing on posts of people using Quik because the same advice applies.  Stop using 3 year old out of date discontinued unsupported software.  Do you think I should be telling some people to use Quik and some people not to use Quik?  That makes no sense.  

You help no one

That's not true and if you look at the amount of thanks, Kudos and personal emails I get back from people I've helped you'd realize that.  I've gotten thanks for personalized video tutorials I've created for people.  Saying I help no one is simple a misinformed statement.  

Did I ask anything about Quik? No.

Yes, you mentioned it 5 times in your post and even posted a screen shot from Quik.

Did I say I was trying to edit my videos with Quik?

No, and you didn't mention that you weren't trying to edit your video's with Quik.  What you did was mention Quik 5 times and post a screen shot from Quik.  Usually people who have Quik installed on their PC's tend to be people who don't really know how to use a professional editing program, they like a simple drag and drop editor.  I can't blame them, but if they are going to use such an editor, it should be one that's up to date and supported.

So that was my question, why cant I see my files when they are not corrupted, everything was perfectly fine the last time I used the camera, Is there any other way to retrieve them.

Well it's an interesting question to be sure.  The most reliable way to see your files would be to use an SD card reader for your PC.  This is because you're not going through a 3 year old out of date discontinued unsupported software to view the files (Quik for Windows).  You're also not having to go through the camera as a medium (which also introduces a USB bottleneck in terms of speed transfer).  Also your camera uses the MTP (media transfer protocol) and the file types that recognizes are restricted.  So JPG's and MP4's mostly.  Some other file types on your card may not be viewable or recognized as media.

An SD card reader plugged into your PC will be the most direct way to view the actual contents. 

For instance, when you record video, you create an MP4 (video file) an LRV file (low resolution video which is used for displaying video on your GoPro and streaming to the GoPro app during preview) and a THM file (thumbnail file, which is the picture displayed in the GoPro gallery and on the GoPro app).  The problem is that Quik (for windows and I think we should make that distinction) may only delete the MP4 files, this leaves the THM and LRV files on your SD card using space but you cannot see them.  The other issue is that once you connect to the Quik App (for android or IOS) it then displays the THM and LRV files as showing in your camera's gallery.  Only they aren't there since the MP4 has been deleted.  So it looks like you have lots of video and photo on your camera, but you don't really.  This can also happen if the Quik apps cache file hasn't been cleared for quite some time.  So in short, photo's appear, video plays (in the Quik app) but when you go to download them, nothing happens or you get a big empty space file with nothing in it (it just shows as corrupt).  

Now if you have files that you think were created and did go missing, I suggest you remove the SD card from your camera immediately and not use it.  Download a free program called "recuva".  Then place the SD card in your PC and run Recuva on your SD card.  This free software will try to recover the missing files.  Make sure the recovery location is not the SD card however or you may overwrite the missing data during the recovery process.

If you're having an issue with your camera showing up in File explorer, try using the original GoPro cable and switching around USB ports.  I've noticed compatibility problems (and many others have too) with USB ports and cables when it comes to the GoPro's.  They seem to only work if everything matches.  So a USB 2.0 cable has to go into a USB 2.0 port.  Same with USB 3.0 and 3.1 (both Gen 1 and Gen 2).  I know with the GoPro 8 and 9 they did improve USB compatibility, but not sure if they did the same for the GoPro 7, I wouldn't think so at the 8 & 9 required the update for the Webcam mode.

maybe you could mention to GoPro that they ship and sell all of their cameras with instructions inside specifically telling you how you should get the Quik app to use with your new camera.

Actually the Quik App is not out of date, only Quik for Windows is 3 year old out of date discontinued unsupported software (that's the one you posted a screen shot of having installed it on your PC).  The biggest mistake GoPro did was calling them (Windows and App) the same name.  It tends to confuse people and probably explains why so many people download Quik for Windows thinking it's just an extension of the GoPro Quik app and will therefore have the same functionality.  

Answer me this though as I have a working theory, with all the issues you're having with footage from your camera, are you using a Sandisk card in your camera?

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nomad

[ New ]

Your best best would be to not use a program that hasn't been updated in over 3 years, has since been discontinued and is no longer supported by the creator.  Yes, I'm talking about QUIK.  If you insist on using Quik, you may as well install Windows 3.1 on your pc while you're at it.  

Quik is just going to experience more and more bugs the older and more out of date it gets.  So I'd advise you to switch to a different editing program.

Tourist

[ New ]
Wow much help, answers useful... Rather than try to just get your post count up on a support sub, maybe actually try and give somewhat of a decently helpful reply. I've see you comment the EXACT same thing on other posts of people asking for help, and to what avail? You help no one and yet still feel the need to reply with passive aggressive comments. Did I ask anything about Quik? No. Did I say I was trying to edit my videos with Quik? No. I simply stated what was going on and mentioned that I had it on my phone. When the file browser didn't show up anything I tried to rescue the files with Quik AFTER they weren't appearing normally, and figured it was the reason for the ghost files. So that was my question, why cant I see my files when they are not corrupted, everything was perfectly fine the last time I used the camera, Is there any other way to retrieve them. Also since i see you hang around this support forum quiet a bit, maybe you could mention to GoPro that they ship and sell all of their cameras with instructions inside specifically telling you how you should get the Quik app to use with your new camera. You know since its out of date and everything, and anyone who uses it might as well just go ahead and use Windows 3.1 along with it.
Nomad

[ New ]

Rather than try to just get your post count up on a support sub, maybe actually try and give somewhat of a decently helpful reply.

I'm sure that comment would be relevant if post counts actually meant anything (they don't). 

I've see you comment the EXACT same thing on other posts of people asking for help, and to what avail?

I comment the exact same thing on posts of people using Quik because the same advice applies.  Stop using 3 year old out of date discontinued unsupported software.  Do you think I should be telling some people to use Quik and some people not to use Quik?  That makes no sense.  

You help no one

That's not true and if you look at the amount of thanks, Kudos and personal emails I get back from people I've helped you'd realize that.  I've gotten thanks for personalized video tutorials I've created for people.  Saying I help no one is simple a misinformed statement.  

Did I ask anything about Quik? No.

Yes, you mentioned it 5 times in your post and even posted a screen shot from Quik.

Did I say I was trying to edit my videos with Quik?

No, and you didn't mention that you weren't trying to edit your video's with Quik.  What you did was mention Quik 5 times and post a screen shot from Quik.  Usually people who have Quik installed on their PC's tend to be people who don't really know how to use a professional editing program, they like a simple drag and drop editor.  I can't blame them, but if they are going to use such an editor, it should be one that's up to date and supported.

So that was my question, why cant I see my files when they are not corrupted, everything was perfectly fine the last time I used the camera, Is there any other way to retrieve them.

Well it's an interesting question to be sure.  The most reliable way to see your files would be to use an SD card reader for your PC.  This is because you're not going through a 3 year old out of date discontinued unsupported software to view the files (Quik for Windows).  You're also not having to go through the camera as a medium (which also introduces a USB bottleneck in terms of speed transfer).  Also your camera uses the MTP (media transfer protocol) and the file types that recognizes are restricted.  So JPG's and MP4's mostly.  Some other file types on your card may not be viewable or recognized as media.

An SD card reader plugged into your PC will be the most direct way to view the actual contents. 

For instance, when you record video, you create an MP4 (video file) an LRV file (low resolution video which is used for displaying video on your GoPro and streaming to the GoPro app during preview) and a THM file (thumbnail file, which is the picture displayed in the GoPro gallery and on the GoPro app).  The problem is that Quik (for windows and I think we should make that distinction) may only delete the MP4 files, this leaves the THM and LRV files on your SD card using space but you cannot see them.  The other issue is that once you connect to the Quik App (for android or IOS) it then displays the THM and LRV files as showing in your camera's gallery.  Only they aren't there since the MP4 has been deleted.  So it looks like you have lots of video and photo on your camera, but you don't really.  This can also happen if the Quik apps cache file hasn't been cleared for quite some time.  So in short, photo's appear, video plays (in the Quik app) but when you go to download them, nothing happens or you get a big empty space file with nothing in it (it just shows as corrupt).  

Now if you have files that you think were created and did go missing, I suggest you remove the SD card from your camera immediately and not use it.  Download a free program called "recuva".  Then place the SD card in your PC and run Recuva on your SD card.  This free software will try to recover the missing files.  Make sure the recovery location is not the SD card however or you may overwrite the missing data during the recovery process.

If you're having an issue with your camera showing up in File explorer, try using the original GoPro cable and switching around USB ports.  I've noticed compatibility problems (and many others have too) with USB ports and cables when it comes to the GoPro's.  They seem to only work if everything matches.  So a USB 2.0 cable has to go into a USB 2.0 port.  Same with USB 3.0 and 3.1 (both Gen 1 and Gen 2).  I know with the GoPro 8 and 9 they did improve USB compatibility, but not sure if they did the same for the GoPro 7, I wouldn't think so at the 8 & 9 required the update for the Webcam mode.

maybe you could mention to GoPro that they ship and sell all of their cameras with instructions inside specifically telling you how you should get the Quik app to use with your new camera.

Actually the Quik App is not out of date, only Quik for Windows is 3 year old out of date discontinued unsupported software (that's the one you posted a screen shot of having installed it on your PC).  The biggest mistake GoPro did was calling them (Windows and App) the same name.  It tends to confuse people and probably explains why so many people download Quik for Windows thinking it's just an extension of the GoPro Quik app and will therefore have the same functionality.  

Answer me this though as I have a working theory, with all the issues you're having with footage from your camera, are you using a Sandisk card in your camera?

Tourist

[ New ]
Sorry for lashing out. I was just very frustrated at the moment. I was able to find a painstaking workaround to get the files back and that was my main concern. All is fine now. I won’t mess with Quik on my pc though actually uninstalled once I realized I couldn’t get the files back with it. And I was just using that original photo as a reference that the files were still taking up space on the card. I understand what you are saying though about not having made that more clear. Again sorry for lashing out.
Nomad

[ New ]

No worries, happens to the best of us from time to time, after all, new technology is designed to either make our lives easier or frustrate the hell out of us.  What was your work around that you discovered?  I only ask because if someone else has the issue, it may be worthwhile posting your solution here or doing a tutorial video of your own.  I'm sure you're not the only one that has had these frustrations.  

Yeah the card thing comes from experience with the release of the GoPro Fusion.  The app would only delete the MP4 files, so that would leave THM, LRV and WAV files on the card, none of which would show up in the app.  So eventually the cards would get full even though both the camera and app were saying they were empty.  So every once in a while I'd have to format the cards in the camera itself rather than just delete media.  

Anyway, go enjoy your day, and glad you got your camera issue sorted!

Tourist

[ New ]
I had to end up saving the videos in question to my phone, while having the GoPro connected via wifi through the Quik app on my phone (Not the pc app). :) Then I just signed into ICloud from a web browser and downloaded the videos from that! It actually was pretty simple but I originally didn’t have enough storage for iCloud so I had to upgrade the subscription, thus making it annoying lol. But I have all the videos, full res now and am happy! Again, I’m extremely sorry for being thick headed. I appreciate the help and insight, and will definitely stay away from Quik for the pc now knowing it causes issues. Oh, and to answer one question you had from earlier, yes it is a sandisk SD card. Anyway hope this may help anyone with the same sort of issue, if all the original variables match mine.