Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

Files do not open. Files can not be viewed.

I made a trip and recorded videos and photos with my Gopro Hero 5 Black, but the files do not open.
They do not open on the notebook.
Do not open the App Gopro.
I can not view the videos even on the camera itself.
The files are recorded on Micro SD, videos in .mp4 format, and photos in .jpg format, but they do not open.
The impression I have is that they were not finalized by the camera itself, but they are recorded on the Micro SD. T
how to solve this problem?
What has videos and photos made, there are 5 or 6 that open, but not all others.
Anyway, is there a solution?

Detalhes do arquivo que NÃO abre.PNG

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Files do not open. Files can not be viewed.

Thank you for posting back, @supercreek71305. Ultra cards are known to exhibit such issues when used with the camera. They work initially but causes issues eventually. I Understand the videos you are trying to view are those taken from your trip. Unfortunately, we do not have any preferred methods of data recovery as this may vary from SD card manufacturers of the preferred methods for recovering your data.  You may reach out to the SD card manufacturer to further troubleshoot the SD card. 

As for future recordings, using a card on the list is the best way to go. 

Best regards, 
Marius

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @supercreek71305

Thank you for the details you provided. It is odd that the files cannot even be viewed through the camera. Are you getting any error message or symbol when you try to access the files through the camera? Is the camera update to the latest firmware? Have you tried viewing the files through a computer? How are the file sizes? 

It is also important to note which SD card you are using as not all cards work compatibly with the HERO5 Black camera. Is your SD card among the recommended ones listed here? Hope to hear back from you. 

Best regards, 
Marius

Highlighted
Sightseer

When I try to view the file through the camera gallery the message is just "unable to view". The Micro SD is a San Disk Ultra Class 10 128GB. I have already tried to view on a computer and it was not possible, the file does not open. The .mp4 files have varying sizes, 161MB, 316MB, 295MB, 45MB, ..., appearing to have been recorded, but are not viewable.

Highlighted
GoPro

Thank you for posting back, @supercreek71305. Ultra cards are known to exhibit such issues when used with the camera. They work initially but causes issues eventually. I Understand the videos you are trying to view are those taken from your trip. Unfortunately, we do not have any preferred methods of data recovery as this may vary from SD card manufacturers of the preferred methods for recovering your data.  You may reach out to the SD card manufacturer to further troubleshoot the SD card. 

As for future recordings, using a card on the list is the best way to go. 

Best regards, 
Marius