Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

File Repair Icon

My GoPro Hero 6 and GoPro Hero 7 keep coming up with the file Repair Icon.

I've had no issues up till now with the envionment I have and setup.  What are the usual causes for this?

GoPro Hero 7 has -  SanDisk Extreme 128 GB microSDXC Memory Card + SD Adapter with A2 App Performance up to 160 MB/s, Class 10, U3, V30

GoPro Hero 7 has - SanDisk Extreme 128GB microSDXC Memory Card + SD Adapter up to 100MB/s, Class 10, U3, V30 A1 - FFP

What steps should I take to resolve this?  The GoPro Hero 5 has a similar card and I've had that 3 years now, none of these issues?

Nomad

Re: File Repair Icon

Make sure you've backed up any important files from your memory cards.

Then using an SD adaptor or memory card reader, put the memory card in your pc, right click on the memory card, select properties and then select tools.  From there select the Error Checking option and scan your entire card for errors.  You should also select the option for automatically fixing any errors.

After this has completed, right click your card again, and this time select "Format".  Complete a full format of your card (not a quick format).  Please note that this will erase all files from your cards, so once again, make sure you've backed up any important files first.

Once you have completed this, put the memory card back into your camera, go into the tools options and select "Format SD card" from there.  

Once you have done this, your memory card should be good to go.

Hiker

Thanks for the quick reply!

(1)  Which Micro SD reader would you reccomend? Or should I purchase any on Amazon?

(2)  I presume doing this via the GoPro is not advisable, or isn't possible as I tend never to remove my Micro SD cards.

(3)  After each recording, I use GoPro Quick to download and then it automatically deletes the files for me.  Is this correct?

(4) I then format the SD card via the camera.

Should I be doing anything in addition to this after each major use?  I record my flights, so files are 4K30fps W at 2-3 hours recording length.

Cheers

Nomad

(1)  Which Micro SD reader would you reccomend? Or should I purchase any on Amazon?
The card type, it's faster to put it into an SD card reader rather then put it into a USB Converter and put the converter into a USB port.  Since I use Samsung evo cards, they all come with SD card readers.

(2)  I presume doing this via the GoPro is not advisable, or isn't possible as I tend never to remove my Micro SD cards.

Nothing it impossible given enough time, money, resources, drive and imagination.  Formatting a card in the GoPro is the equivilant of a "quick" format in a PC.  It will do nothing to detect and fix bad file sectors, it just marks the information on the card as "deleted" and ready for overwritting.  This means you can still have a card giving you trouble (freezing, locking up, bad recordings, stopping recording halfway through etc.).  Doing a full checkdsc and a full format in a PC actually fixes many of these issues, but it can take some time.

(3)  After each recording, I use GoPro Quick to download and then it automatically deletes the files for me.  Is this correct?

It depends on your definition of correct, I'm not a fan of anything being deleted "automatically".  I'd prefer for the files to be copied, verfied and then being asked if I wanted to delete the originals, but that's just me.

(4) I then format the SD card via the camera.

You will need to format the SD card in your camera after running a full format and checkdsc on your PC.  This is to make sure that the card is formatted with preferred correct format for your camera.  

Should I be doing anything in addition to this after each major use?  I record my flights, so files are 4K30fps W at 2-3 hours recording length.

I would only do all of the above if your SD card is causing you issues.  Your SD card only has a finite amount of read and writes available.  So if you were to format, checkdsk and reformat after every use, you'd just be doing un-nessacary work and shortening the life of your card.  I also record my flights and I never have to do all of the above more than once a year.

If you find yourself having constant issues, I'd probably try another card to see how it compares.

Hiker

(1)

So if I use the following? This should be fine? Placing the cards into the adapter and then into the PC?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LFIXC8I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_j.Q9Cb1EMM79N

(2) Well its definitely the cards. I bought two new
SanDisk Extreme 128 GB microSDXC Memory Card + SD Adapter with A2 App Performance + Rescue Pro Deluxe, Up to 160 MB/s, Class 10, UHS-I, U3, V30. They worked beautifully and the files transferred extremely quick from GoPro to PC.

So its definitely the cards. One is the A1 model. One is the A2 model. They are expensive, so having them fixed and used as spare would be ideal.

(3) That's a good point and I've never had any issues. But I see where you are coming from. It isnt hard to change these settings. But it saves them in unique folders for me. Which helps with my pre production.

(4) Interestingly one of my other GoPros transferred the files and stated it still had the files on the GoPro. This was showing on the other GoPros too. So I think this camera that I've had no issues with will soon run into some errors. I guess error checking every few weeks isnt a bad idea?

What process would you do? I record two to three flight days per months. When I get home, I use Quick to download the content then I format via the camera then re-use on the next flight.

Can you error check after every month or every flight? As I want to consistently have footage and no errors.

Cheers

Nomad

So if I use the following? This should be fine? Placing the cards into the adapter and then into the PC?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LFIXC8I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_j.Q9Cb1EMM79N

I really couldn't answer that question as I'm not familier with your PC, the upkeep of your pc, with issues you may or may not have with it. I can say that I use an adapter such as this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/STOREINBOX-MicroSD-Adapter-Converter-Connector/dp/B00S983AGG/ref=sr_1_5?key...

and I find it much quicker than using a USB SD card reader.

What process would you do? I record two to three flight days per months. When I get home, I use Quick to download the content then I format via the camera then re-use on the next flight.

I don't use Quik to transfer any of my footage at all (I tend to download 1 to 2 flights per week). The 2 reasons being that

A:  I prefer to have manual control over what happens to my files.

B;  When you connect the camera to your PC to transfer files via Quik, you're actually slowing down the transfer speeds to whatever speed your USB port and the GoPro camera can handle.  Transferring directly via the micro SD card cuts down on the middle man and I've found the speed of transfers can actually double in some cases.

So my process is this:

1: Remove micro SD card from Camera
2: Place micro SD card into Micro SD to SD adapter.
3: Place adapter into PC via the SD slot.
4: Create a folder using the flight date and camera location. In this case I tend to have 4 camera's mounted on the aircraft, so I create a folder with the flight date (6/4/2019 for example) and then within that folder I have each of the camera locations as seperate folders (wing looking forward, wing looking at place, cockpit cam, tail cam). I copy each of the camera's SD cards into the appropriate location.
5: I then return the micro SD card back to the camera.
6: I then format the card in the camera.

And that's it.

I would not error check the camera after every flight or even every month. This will lead to wear on the card and will end up resulting in an earlier end of life date for the card. I have found that once you error check and format the card, you're usually good to go for 6 months or more. The only time you need to error check and format is if you have an issue with the card (camera locks up, doesn't record etc). That's usually an indicator that something needs to be addressed.

Hiker

I have managed to do the following on both cards that were giving me issues.

(1) Error check -  no issues found

(2) Format - This took 15 minutes or so

I have not placed them into a GoPro yet, presumably this would be the next step and do a film for as long as the card allows and to check if it works well?

GoPro

Hi @pilotrobbie

Yes, please test the cards with your camera.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej