Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

File Duration

[ New ]

I'm kind of new to using my GroPros.  I just transitioned from a Hero7 to a 9.  In both cameras I notice the that when I record someting, the ma maximum duration of the recording is about 7.5 minutes.  So if I record for 30-minutes, I get four separate files of 7.5-minutes.  it there away to get one single thirty minute file?

GoPro

Re: File Duration

[ New ]

@swiftwater36521, this is called File Chaptering in GoPro cameras. When taking a video recording, the camera will automatically segment into a new file chapter once it has reached a certain size.

This chaptering is intentional so in the event of a jolt or crash that causes a file to become corrupted, only a portion of your video will be affected and not the whole thing.

These files when put together with editing software will play seamlessly as if they were never chaptered, and when played back from the camera directly will also play through as one continuation.

For further details, see GoPro Camera File Chaptering Information.

Tourist

[ New ]

The next question is, how does one join these "chapters" together to create a seamless file?  The GoPro website doesn't appear to providing any information performing this type of edit.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @swiftwater36521

You may use third-party applications to stitch the files.  

Alternatively, you can explore the use of the GoPro Quik app for multi-clip editing. These steps will guide you through the process. 

Thanks!

Ej