Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Faulty Gopro 8

[ New ]

I bought a Gopro 8 in october 2019 for a trip to Portimao race circuit to use on my motorbike, when i got there  mounted the camera and set off on my merry way riding round the circuit but when ireturned to the pits and checked the camera i was met with a camera that had turned off and was unresponsive the only solution was to remove the battery and reinsert it then the camera would switch back on. This was only the begining of my Gopro camera woes, over the course of the 4 days i was plagued with faults heres a little list

1 random turn offs leaving the camera unresponsive unless battery removal

2 Footage would freeze frame but the sound would continue recording

3 The camera would just stop recording for no reason, sometimes as little as 10 seconds in

4 The screen would flicker some times

5 The screen image turned shades of purple

6 The screen shifted up so that the top portion of the screen with the battery and memory icons apperes at the bottom of the screen

when i returned from the trip with zero usable footage i contacted Gopro did everything they suggested and in the end they replaced the camera. The new camera arrived but been in the uk race track season doesnt start untill around may and as the sole purpose of the camera is to mount to my motorcycle and record track time i couldnt test the replacement untill then. When track time came around i mounted the camera set off out the pits then when returning i was again greeted with with a fault then throughout the day the list of previouse faults were there again on the replacement camera so again another day with zero footage. I contacted gopro again and like before did all they asked, manual updates, new sd cards all of which or on there recomended card list and waited then until my next track day to test, the day arrived and guess what the same faults and no usable footage again. I contacred gopro again and another replacement was sent, the software was manualy updated as advised and new sd card fitted and i waited for my next trackday. That day came camera was mounted out i went and on return all seemed to be fine for the 1st part of the day but later in the day faults started to appear but it was an improvement so i decided to stick with it and see how it went. i have just been on another trip to jerez and guess what plagued with faults again and come away with zero usable footage again. i have contacted gopro again and what do they come back with, change you sd card to a lower gb like a 32 or 64 if that doesnt work we will send another replacement. This is not a good enough solution at what point or you going to admit there is an issue with the gopro 8, This is my 1st experience with gopro and i bought it because they are supposed to be the best but it has been the worst. I do not want another replacemnt gopro 8 as i have already lost a massive amount of footage and memories and am not willing to loose more by testing a fleet of faulty cameras. Trying to get things resolved through the chat option is a long drawn out process and on trying to contact them today i went from been 2nd in the que to getting the message "there are no agents available" i have now resorted to posting it on here in the hope there is going to be someone in power on here that can offer a better solution than been a test dummy. This has drawn out that long now with replacement cameras that i am passed my warranty for a refund with where it was purchased and am now left with a usless not fit for purpose camera. i look forward to hearing from someone that can help with a satisfactory solution

Backpacker

Re: Faulty Gopro 8

[ New ]

So what SD card are you using when you have the issue?

Tourist

[ New ]
I have used Sandisk extreme 32gb and 64gb and also a sandisk extreme pro 128gb all displaying the same issues but are all recommended by GoPro
Sightseer

[ New ]

Smiley Sad

Ja das kenn ich leider all zu gut-Die Hälfte meiner Aufnahmen frieren bei etwa 2-10 Sekunden ein (vor allem die 120fps Aufnahmen) und es is Furzegal welche SD drinnen ist. Hab die Pro, die extreme Pro und auch die Ultra von Sandisk. Leider steckt auch kein System dahinter- manchmal geht sie, manchmal eben nicht.

Viele coole Kajak, Paragleit und auch Kletteraufnahmen sind leider dahin.... seeehr ärgerlich

Backpacker

[ New ]

Seems you are doing everything right, if you had been using an Sandisk Ultra card that would have been an issue as Ultra cards are not recommended and have been known to cause issues.

In this case it seems like you have a faulty GoPro and unfortunately your only course of action is to contact GoPro directly using the "Contact Us" option at the bottom of the webpage.

Tourist

[ New ]
That’s another problem right there, I’ve sat in front of the laptop 3 times this morning only for it to kick me off saying no agents available so I have requested a call back twice and both times lost connection so my issue is still unresolved. There should be a direct email or something so that it can be resolved that way as who has the time to sit for hours on chat trying to get a resolution
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @el-steve-o. We'd be glad to check with Support regarding your contact request. We used the email address in your Hub profile but we are not able to pull up any record of a callback request from you. Would you have the case number? This number is provided on the page right after you submit a request for a callback. We can use this number to follow up with Support. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi yes the case number - 07225013
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @el-steve-o

We were able to pull up the case and see that someone from Support has tried to reach out but was not able to get through.

Would you mind logging a new case?

When entering the contact number, make sure not to put a zero after the country code.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi I had a call back off 2 people today but both times the call ended, must have been a bad line but they never called back. If I log a new case does that not loose everything logged with this case and all the other cases I have logged ?
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @el-steve-o

You can log a new case.

Once a representative is in touch with you, you may provide them the previous case number/s.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi buddy, I have a bit similar problem. I want to know that are you able to solve your problem. I thought its Indian customer support who didn't help, after seeing your discussion I think the entire go pro service is like the same. They sell items and then waste time in support chat or phone calls which never happened.

Tourist

[ New ]

Gopro you need to sort yourselves out

Just spent 2 hours on chat, spent an hour with one person for it to transfer me to another person half way through to have to explain it all to then for that then to just kick me off unresolved and be no better of thani was 2 hours ago

basically i cant have a refund as my original purchase wasnt through the gopro website even though the 2 replacement cameras i have had where supplied by youselves which also might i add are also faulty and also you wont replace it with the newer model as thats not what i purchased but your willing to knock 25% of a 9 if i purchase that so i can have 2 cameras thats dont work and be even more out of pocket, not likely.

Seems to me all you want to do is take the money and run and dont care about customer service, i should have taken the camera back for a refund when it 1st happened last year but instead ive let you run me round in circles supplying me with faulty cameras and now its too late to return to original retailer. there has been no mention of any compensation for my trouble and the time i have wasted and footage i have lost trying to get these cameras to work instead they have the cheek to ask me to purchase a 9 instead sorry guys but if this is the best solution to my problem i will never touch a gopro product again nor will i ever recomend to a friend.

Does any one know if theres is a complaints department as i feel my experience here needs to work it way up the ladder so some one at the top is made aware of the failings in customer service