Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Failed firmware bricked the hero 7 black?!

So I finally get out and start getting some decent footage and on the car ride back I had the gopro plugged in and before previewing the footage on my phone I decided to update the firmware it recommend. I let it sit there and do its thing but after about ten minutes I notice that it is just unresponsive. The go pro itself showed no signs of life. I have done all the classic trouble shooting to try and get at least an led to illuminate but have had no success reviving it. 💔

Here are some of the steps that I tried to get it to be responsive-
Disconnect the camera from any external power source and remove SD card. Remove, then reinsert the battery.
Press the Mode Button to see if the camera responds (look for LED illumination, beeps, or a response from the camera’s screens).
If there's no response, attempt to reset camera by pressing and holding the Mode Button for 8-10 seconds. After releasing the button, leave the camera alone for ≈5 seconds and attempt to get a response from the camera by pressing the Mode Button.
If still unable to get any sign of life from camera, connect to a 5V 2A wall charger (5V 1A minimum) using the GoPro USB Type-C cable, look for red LED illumination to indicate charging. NOTE: In a pinch, you can use a computer USB port, but we do not recommend using a multi-port USB hub when trying to charge the camera. If the red LED does not illuminate, try using a secondary USB Type-C cable and/or charging adapter.
If/when red LEDs illuminate, allow camera to remain charging for a few minutes.
Remove the camera from charging source and attempt to get a response from the camera by pressing the Mode Button.
If provided with a response, allow camera to turn back off, insert the SD card and wait ≈5 seconds, then attempt to record a sample video.

If anyone has any idea of what I should do next, I would greatly appreciate any advice! I love gopro, the brand and the products they produce are just iconic and we'll known for their robustness and longevity. There was no significant impact or moment that would make this happen, I was flying and it was a cold dry day so there was no internal water damage, I'm hoping there is some trick to brining it back to life because the hardware is still mint and should be functional.

Thank you in advance,

-Max
Adventurer

Re: Failed firmware bricked the hero 7 black?!

try holding the mode for 30 seconds. I learned that years ago, it can force the camera off enterly and  to turn back on.

Tourist

I updated firmware last night, then I couldn't connect to hero 7 black. I realized that the password was reset by the update, I managed to connect to WIFI with the new password. However, the GoPro app just didn't work like it used to be. There's something wrong with this update.

GoPro

Hi @maxwellw7603

Sorry for any trouble caused.

Please reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Let them know of the troubleshooting steps taken.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

Thanks to support team's help, I cleared up some extra bluetooth connections which were probably created during reconnecting GoPro app with the camera. Then following instructions, I did a manual update by putting the update in micro SD card, and insert it back to camera, restarted the camera, also removed the camera and re-add the camera to app, Finally, the app and camera made the connection! Now the app is back to normal. Thanks again to gopro support team !

Tourist

Thank you for the suggestion, tried it out still nothing :(

Tourist

Thank you for the suggestion, tried it out still nothing :(
Tourist

Thank you for the link I will contact them!