Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Facebook 360 Video Thumbnails Missing

Does anyone else have an issue with thumbnails not appearing on their 360 videos on Facebook? FB recognizes them as 360 videos and they play correctly, but no thumbnails on my timeline, just the "360" globe over black. I'm setting privacy to "only me" for testing purposes. Thumbnails do show up on the videos in my "Videos" tab but not on my timeline.

This is happening regardless of what workflow I use. I've  done all of these:

- Mac: Exported from the desktop GoPro Player and then uploaded in Facebook via a browser

- Mac: Exported as ProRes, edited in FCPX and then exported for Facebook using FCPX's 360 metadata, and then uploaded

- PC: Exported using the GoPro Max Exporter and then uploaded to Facebook via browser

- iPhone: Shared via the Mobile app using the "f" Facebook button in the center bottom on the share screen

- iPhone: Shared via the Mobile app using the "three stacked dots" in the lower right corner and then selecting Facebook from all my mobile sharing destinations

...Actually, the last of these doesn't even give me 360 -- it uploads as a flat 720p file and - yeah - THAT one gets a thumbnail. But none of the 360 ones do.

This is with various files, all from the same camera. Like I said, they're fully functional in FB's 360 viewer (except in Safari - screw you, Apple). They just don't display a thumbnail on the Timeline (and I assume then that they won't on the newsfeed - I don't want to change privacy settings to test that).

Anyone doing this successfully? What is the secret?

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Facebook 360 Video Thumbnails Missing

I've now tried editing in Premiere and exporting/uploading that. Still no thumbnail in Facebook.

Highlighted
GoPro

[ Edited ]

Hello @fishvidz. Thanks for reaching out and providing these details. I never had issues uploading a spherical media to Facebook, either through a web browser on my computer or directly from the GoPro App.

I just tested it out -- this spherical media was shared directly from the GoPro App (v6.15 on iOS 13.5.1 mobile device). The footage was captured using MAX 5.6K 30FPS video resolution.

Here's a sample screenshot from the Facebook app.

And here's how I see the media on Facebook through a web browser (Chrome) on my Windows computer.

If it helps, here's my workflow using the app on my iPhone:

1. Connect MAX to GoPro App and download the 360 media to the app.
  2. Once it is saved, select the spherical media in the app then tap the download icon (blue circle with an arrow pointing up) on the top-right corner of the screen and choose "Share..."
  3. On the next screen, tap the Facebook icon at the bottom.
  4. Once the app has completed the process, the Facebook app will open with the "create a post" page. Add a description to your post and select Share.

Please make sure your mobile device, app, and camera are on their current versions. Let me know if you'll be able to replicate this without issues.

Additionally, when exporting using the desktop app, were you using the H.264 or MP4 format? You may also share with us a screenshot showing the issue so we can help look further into the details.

Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks! I'll check versions on everything. Desktop exports have been H264, for the most part. Do you recommend MP4 instead? Also, do you get a good thumbnail on your post there before hitting "play"? Finally, you are using the middle "f" link for sharing via Facebook on the mobile app, right?

Highlighted
Hiker

So @aenriquez, I updated all apps on my phone in order to make sure my GoPro App is v6.15 and my iOS is 13.5.1 (neither had been up to date). I did another share and got the same result -- no thumbnail in Facebook on any browser, any OS. I still get a thumbnail in the app, no problem.

Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 2.56.59 PM.jpg

For another test, I logged into FB as my wife via a browser, since she has been updated to the new version of FB (the one with the dark mode option). On her page this time, I uploaded an export that I’d done from the desktop app (GoPro Player) - same result. Just the “360” globe over a black screen — except in the mobile app.

Would it be possible for you to send me a very small .360 file and/or exported clip that you know works for you? Maybe it will help me figure out what’s going on.

Highlighted
GoPro

@fishvidz, my clip's thumbnail on Facebook looks fine as how it's supposed to. Yes, I used the "F" icon (Facebook) on the GoPro App to share my spherical video.

Sorry, I don't have a .360 file saved on my computer. My spherical media files are currently saved in the app.

To further isolate the issue I'd like to know, do you experience the same results on all spherical media files? What's the length of the videos and the video resolution used? What's the phone model?

You can also share with us your step-by-step workflow or a screen recording showing the issue so we can help look further into the details.

Highlighted
Hiker

So without my having done anything, the --bleep-- thumbnails are back for 360 content on Facebook - for stuff I'd already uploaded, even some Nikon Keymission clips from 2 years ago. And in multiple browsers. So it wasn't me or my workflow, and it wasn't you either, GoPro. It was Facebook. Figures.

I never formally opened a ticket on this, so there's nothing to close. But this issue is resolved, I guess.

Highlighted
GoPro

Thank you for the update, @fishvidz. Great to know that the issue is cleared now. Enjoy using your GoPro!