Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

FUSION - why no FCPX Plug-in?

Hello,

why is there no FCPX Support for FUSION plug-ins? Only premiere? Will there be plug-ins when the new VR FCPX comes out later this year?

Steve

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: FUSION - why no FCPX Plug-in?

I pulled Dashwood 360 VR Toolbox, compatible with FCPX and free.

Seems there are a lot of options. Today was day one for me as the Fusion arrived yesterday.

Let me know how it works out.

http://dashwood3d.com/help/360-download-installation/index.html

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

@monokultur - Nothing has been announced so far, but we will pass along the feedback to our teams.

Thanks,

Jeff

Highlighted
Nomad

that's the main thing holding me back right now...

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

I got the GoPro Fusion today (November 21, 2017), and have played around with the camera a bit. Overall, the camera looks promising. There are a few problems, however.

- First, the Fusion Studio doesn't recognize the camera. Automatically, the Go Pro app opens up.

- After importing from the Front and Back SD cards, the Front SD card doesn't contain any footage. It does show THM and LRV files, but the MP4 is missing. (Again, this is only when trying to import straight from camera.)

- The workaround is to eject the SD cards from the camera, and insert them (via micro sd to SD adapter) into the computer, and then transfer the files to whichever folder you prefer

This is a bit of an uncomfrotable workflow, as I'd expect to transfer footage straight from the camera without taking the cards out.

Once the footage is imported, I was able to Add Media via Fusion Studio app. The app is well-designed.

For those working with FCPX, for now you'd have to render out the footage to CFHD, and then you can import that file into FCPX for Dashwood plugin workflow, or whichever other plugins you use.

Now, rendering a 5.2K 30fps 4 mins footage - an hour has passed, and it still only rendered around 30%. I'd assume it'd take at least 3.5 hours to render the whole video. I do understand the notion of stitching, which is quite impressive.

I'd have to say that the whole video would have to be done within GoPro's apps. For those with Adobe Premiere and After Affects, I think there's a better workflow. I haven't tested it yet, as I mainly work with FCPX and its Dashwood 360 plugins.

My question for GoPro representatives - what might be the solutions to fixing the import from camera to Fusion/GoPro studio? As mentioned above, the footage from one of the cards is not importing. Thank you.

Highlighted
Tourist

Free but with a watermark, or am I missing something?

@sheehanuav wrote:

I pulled Dashwood 360 VR Toolbox, compatible with FCPX and free.

Seems there are a lot of options. Today was day one for me as the Fusion arrived yesterday.

Let me know how it works out.

http://dashwood3d.com/help/360-download-installation/index.html

Highlighted
Hiker

Dashwood was hired by Apple a while back so his plugins are likely going to form the basis of the FCPX VR when it appears. 

The Dashwood plugins AFAIK will not be developed any more than they are now. 

Highlighted
Hiker

It's better to get the Dashwood via FX Factory -insrall the app manager and it will get you the plugins installed via there. 

https://fxfactory.com