Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

External microphone on Gopro 8 Black with media mod doesn't work

[ New ]

Hi there, I bought a GoPro 8 Black with media mod some time ago. I wanted to use an external microphone, but  it does not work at all.. First I had a relative cheap mic (TRC pin), then I read which microphones that are recommended and I got a Shure Lavalier microphone (TRRC pin). Got the latest firmware on the camera, tried different ext mic settings, but no sound. What can be wrong?

Accepted Solutions
Backpacker

Re: External microphone on Gopro 8 Black with media mod doesn't work

[ New ]

GoPro's will only accept a TRS connection.  So the mic you plug in has to be a TRS connector.  A TRRS is designed for Android devices and will not work with your GoPro.

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

@bjorna40342, be sure to have the latest firmware installed on your camera. We also have information here External Microphone Recommendations that will help guide you with the recommended external microphones for GoPro cameras.

Additionally, performing a factory reset in the camera may help.

Backpacker

[ New ]

GoPro's will only accept a TRS connection.  So the mic you plug in has to be a TRS connector.  A TRRS is designed for Android devices and will not work with your GoPro.

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi Irishman, thanks for that info! Will get a TRS plug mic and try again.
Backpacker

[ New ]

You can also pick up a TRRS to TRS connection if you want to use your current mic.  

Tourist

[ New ]

Irishmanpdx: Thanks a lot for the tip, found an adapter and now its working! 👍

Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks for the suggestion, appreciate. Had already done those items. As below I needed a TRRS to TRS adapter. Now working👍