Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

External microphone not recognize by HERO8

I'm trying to connect a 3.5mm TRS OLYMPUS ME-51S to a HERO8 camera using the 3.5mm Mic Adapter, but the Audio Input entry of Input / Output menu says N/A.

I'm using the camera without a battery and I power it trough the adapter by coonecting it to a powerbank.

The camera runs the latest firmware: v1.60.

Any suggestions?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: External microphone not recognize by HERO8

running out if ends as I am heading out

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Adventurer

AN Awesome Microphone and it works as advertised.leads to the gopro , not a firmware issue but the actual camera  can be a hardware/software issue. a simple USB pin being Off.

Highlighted
Tourist

@fishycomics 

Well, the camera's USB port seems to work fine with any other task. It gives power to the camera and it trasnfers data succesfully.

The same goes for the adapter regarding power supply.

Also there is some resistance when plugging the microphone in the adapter, so I guess the pins make contact.

What else can I check?

Highlighted
Adventurer

@costasathan  My Hero 5, 6, and 7 all did that.  there is not a single thing to do.  you may need to contact gopro for a camera replacement.

Highlighted
Tourist

@fishycomics 

What did they do exactly?

Highlighted
Tourist

New info about the problem.

I connected the microphone to a HERO2. The microphone works fine, both channels.

I then connected the mic to the adapter and through it to the HERO8. The camera does not record any sound. In other words the internal mic gets deactivated.

Any idea if this is an adapter or a camera issue?

Highlighted
Adventurer

camera should recognise the port, if you see the standard in there and no sound then rephrain from using quick capture. if the port is N/A then get to gopro.

Highlighted
Tourist

Well, here is how things are going:

I disconnected the external power source and inserted the battery. The GoPro recognized the microphone.

So is it impossible to use it without a battery and with an external mic at the same time or is there a workaround?