Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: External microphone not recognize by HERO8

I knoticed you have another thread,  so let me clear this up then.

1 gopro with a External power source.

2 Olympus M51S mic

works. 

you can not record while charge, but you are saying your mic does not work while  using a external powersource?

Highlighted
Tourist

@fishycomics 

The mic isn't recognized when the camera is powered by an external source and the battery is removed. At the same time it deactivates the internal mic and the camera is not recording any sound at all.

When I installed the battery and disconnected the powerbank the mic was available through the Audio Input menu. I chose Standard Mic+. I shot a short video and both channels worked fine.

I haven't tried to test the mic with both the battery installled and the powerbank connected.

Highlighted
Adventurer

Work on that and see what happens?   Question are you using  the gopro app wireless connect  by any chance?

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Before answering I want to add my last test:

I installed the battery and at the same time I connected the external power source. Again the microphone became unavailble in the menu. So, whenever the external power is connected the mic is unavailable regardless if the battery is installed or not.

By the way I was able to capture a video while the battery was charging from the powerbank. The internal mic was again deactivated and the camera was not recording any sound.

About your question:

I have installed the GoPro App. I did it when I turned on the camera for the first time. Actually it failed to connect to the app at first, but it succeeded when I manually updated the firmware from v1.00 to v1.60.

Since then I have turned wireless connections off from the camera's menu and I haven't used the app again.

Highlighted
Adventurer

running out if ends as I am heading out

Highlighted
Tourist

@fishycomics 

OK! I watched the stream and I see that the order you do things makes a difference.

I turned the camera on powered by the powerbank, without its battery installed, and then I inserted the mic in the adapter. The mic appeared in the menu. If the mic is already plugged in the adapter then it is not recognized after the camera turns on.

That happens only when an external power source is used, regardless if the battery is isntalled or not. (Although maybe just one time the camera recognized the mic when it turned on and had both the battery installed and the powerbank connected. I'm writing this without being 100% sure, because I couldn't reproduce it another time.)

If the GoPro has no external powersources connected and it operates only powered from its battery then the mic gets instantly reognized when the camera turns on

If you find a workaround let me know! Thank you very much for your time and your support

Maybe GoPro should fix this by a firmware update if that's possible (and I think it is). Can we notify GoPro for problems in order for them to try and fix them? If yes who should we notify?

Highlighted
Adventurer

Use the feedback,  Gopro is funny one person has it, another does not.  guess I have to compar this to a DJI and no one cares ina gopro place Lol.     find a combination of  ways and stick to that.

Highlighted
Adventurer

Use th feed back one