Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

External microphone for Hero 8

[ New ]

Hi all,

New to the GoPro family. IBought a Hero 8 Black in order to record and livestream my upcoming wedding. I just bought a full-size tripod + a GoPro mounting bracket/adapter and am needing advice on an external microphone as we will be getting married next to a small waterfall and I would like to assiure the best possible volume for our voices. In addition to what microphone to use. Is it also possible to connect an external mic as well as still utelize a wired cable for power so as to not rely on battery paower only? Any and all advice offered is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Jeffrey

Adventurer

Re: External microphone for Hero 8

[ New ]

Test before commette  and grandulations in advance:

You will need to Purchase  the Media Module  if in stock, 

Rode  video Micro TRS  style plug or Rode Wireless Go   kit

Simply connect  the USB into the Media Module for ext power.

test out before get it right.   you are not going to get any usb type C mics to work  it requires for external mic the promic or media module.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks so munch fishycomics!

I just picked up the Media Mod off of eBay for a 'slightly' inflated price, I normally would't but worth it for my needs right now. You think the directional mic built in will suffice for my needs or should I also look into adding an external like the Rode you mention?

Adventurer

[ New ]

all up to you. the chip mics they are okay, can be turned on one at a time or more,  I like my rode, but not sure how it will  work with wit hthe todays media module , Heard some complaints here on them.

Nomad

[ New ]

Is the microphone adapter for Hero 5 no longer available? If you still get it, is it also compatible with the Hero 8?

Adventurer

[ New ]

@oliverz513 wrote:

Is the microphone adapter for Hero 5 no longer available? If you still get it, is it also compatible with the Hero 8?

https://www.amazon.com/GoPro-3-5mm-Adapter-Official-Accessory/dp/B01L2CPPH2/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keyw...