Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

External mic via GoPro mic adapter dongle occasionally does not record audio

[ New ]

I am using the GoPro external mic adapter with a Rhode microphone. Sometimes there is no audio when I record and I have to reboot the GoPro and reseat the adapter multiple times before it starts working and capturing audio.

I have two Hero 7s and Hero 9s, as well as 2 of the GoPro Mic Adapters This problem has never happened in the Hero 7 but randomlly happens in the Hero 9.

Does anyone have an idea as to how to confirm audio is actually being recorded other than checking the clip itself? Any ideas as to what could be driving this problem? Anyone have the same issue?

This only seems to happen with the Hero 9.

Accepted Solutions
Backpacker

Re: External mic via GoPro mic adapter dongle occasionally does not record audio

[ New ]

If you're using "Quick Capture" your camera will start recording before it's detected if there's an external audio adapter, GPS or camera orientation.  I use the GoPro in my own aircraft and if I power on the camera first and don't use quick capture, the audio is always detected.  Since it allows for GPS detection too this way, it's far better to start up this way also.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Backpacker

Re: External mic via GoPro mic adapter dongle occasionally does not record audio

[ New ]

There is a simple check to see if the audio adapter is working and that's to use a voice command such as "Gopro start recording" or "Gopro Highlight".  If the voice commands work, your audio adapter is working, if they don't, your audio adapter is not working.

Tourist

[ New ]

I've been using that method to test when I can and that seems to be the only way to test. However, I mostly have the GoPros on/in an airplane I am flying. If I plug the adapter in the Hero 7 it always works. If I plug the adapter in the Hero 9, it sometimes works. And it's impossible to test when the engine is started.

Perhaps the new firmware update will help. 

Nomad

[ New ]

This is common, this bug and also the one where it wont use the external mic when its plugges in.. Audio on the gopro is really far to unrealiabe for anything serious, even a serious home vidio enthusiest will soon get sick and tired of it..

I have no idea why GoPro stuggle to get a camera to record video and audio reliabilbly.. Evey one else, even the cheapest chinese cameras, have this sorted out, and have done for years.

Backpacker

[ New ]

If you're using "Quick Capture" your camera will start recording before it's detected if there's an external audio adapter, GPS or camera orientation.  I use the GoPro in my own aircraft and if I power on the camera first and don't use quick capture, the audio is always detected.  Since it allows for GPS detection too this way, it's far better to start up this way also.

Tourist

[ New ]

Excellent advice!!! Thank you!