Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

External mic for Gopro 9?

[ New ]

Hi,

Is the Gopro 9 finally open for all types of USB C mic adapters? If so I will order it ASAP :D 

GoPro

Re: External mic for Gopro 9?

[ New ]

Hello @steffenh261. The HERO9 Black is also compatible with the Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter. Third-party USB-C mic adapters may work, however, these accessories are designed by different manufacturers and we cannot attest to their products’ reliability. Please also refer to External Microphone Recommendations article for further reference.

Nomad

[ New ]

I'm trying the Pro Mic adapter on the 9 and it doesn't seem it is recognized at all?  Can you confirm the Pro Mic adapter is compatible?  Or what setting I need to set?

Nomad

[ New ]

I checked the Customer Service, seems there is an issue with the Pro Mic adapter not being recognized on the Gopro Hero 9.  Waiting for a software patch hopefully.

Nomad

[ New ]

As clunky as the Pro Mic is (and a bit pricey).. the thing worked great on my Hero 7 Black. 

Nomad

[ New ]

It worked most of the time on the 7. There were times when it recorded no sound. they really need levels on the screen so you know if its recording or not.

The Hero 9, they have screwed up the external audio. It now doesnt work at all. Im guessing the media mod doesnt work either. I would test it, but they released the camera without any available accessories.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @zzchu. Sorry to hear about the trouble. We'd like to look further into this. Is your GoPro camera updated with the latest firmware version? What's the external microphone used?

It may also help to manually reinstall the camera's firmware and perform a factory reset. 

Let us know how it goes.

Nomad

[ New ]

@aenriquez wrote:

Hello @zzchu. Sorry to hear about the trouble. We'd like to look further into this. Is your GoPro camera updated with the latest firmware version? What's the external microphone used?

It may also help to manually reinstall the camera's firmware and perform a factory reset. 

Let us know how it goes.

I'm using a 3.5mm stereo microphone (plugin power).  (Basically a stereo lavalier) The Pro Mic adapter is not recognized.  (Media Mod: Camera Mics) There is no option to change or adjust anything.  (the GoPro 7 Hero Black has multiple options to change type of microphones, plugin power, line level etc. for example)

I perfomed the manual firmware reinstall  v1.21 yesterday with the microSD card and resetting setttings but no nice.

The Pro Mic adapter is not recognized.

Nomad

[ New ]

Can you let provide me with a means to rollback/downgrade the firmware upgrade as a test?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @zzchu. We do not have access to older versions. We have passed the feedback on this thread to the Product team. We will keep you posted through this thread once we have new information. Thanks!

Nomad

[ New ]

With the shear number of issues GoPro have with firmware, you have to start allowing this. It's just to risky to update.. it can turn a working camera into a paperweight..

Hiker

[ New ]

Buy a zoom recorder, plug the lav into it. 1) Start recording into the lav 2) start recording with the camera. Clap a few times at the beginning and end of the video recording. Then, sync the external audio in post. Easiest work around.

GoPro sells cameras. They don't care about you after you buy. Buy at your own risk and if you are lucky, the camera will meet your needs.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I just tried it out for my hero 9 and it does not work

Tourist

[ New ]

So far, no it doesn't work. Which is incredibly frustrating since we just paid almost $500 for a cube...

Nomad

[ New ]

What makes these forums diificult to use is not having any pinned stickies or consolidated threads on certain issues at the top of the forum or any sort of official word or update.

They should have a pinned sticky like this--> **GoPro Hero 9 Issues with Promic Adapter**: We are aware of the issue with the GoPro Hero 9 firmware v1.21 and the Promic adapter. We are working to resolve this issue.  The issue does not affect the Media Mod for the Hero 9 blah blah blah etc. etc. etc.

Absent any official communication from the company, folks are right to be upset and annoyed.

GoPro needs to be better with their communication. 

Hiker

[ New ]

They definitely need better communication. I saw the marketing about horizon leveling. I thought, wow, horizon leveling! One of the things I've wanted for a long time is to be able to ditch the gimbal which is used to do what? Horizon leveling! However, I also need wide angle video and 4K60fps.

Nowhere in the marketing does it mention that 4K60 is cropped to 68 degrees when horizon leveling is turned on. Had I known this I would have never bought the GoPro HERO9. Instead, I bought it, opened the packaging, turned it on, immediately configured it to 4K60 Linear with horizon leveling and saw it crop in to 68 degrees. Within 10 minutes of turning it on I was packaging it back up and driving over to UPS to send it back because it didn't meet my needs. 

So, I wasted my time, tied up my money and I'm guessing that GoPro has to repackage it and send it out used to someone else? Or do they just throw it away? Either way, had they just communicated this at the start, clearly, it could have saved us both all the trouble. This information needs to be right there on the page where people buy the camera, not buried in a help forum.

Hiker

[ New ]

Another thought here. What enables GoPro to continue this bad behavior is that consumers put up with it. Notice how I said F you GoPro and sent it right back. If a company lies and treats you like crap, send the camera back and don't do business with them. The DJI Osmo Action is every bit as good as the GoPro 9 and the external mic adaptor for it works. I use it daily.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DNKAWd6dkjDnAtQA8

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone! Apologies for the inconvenience this may be causing you. We've already shared this out with the team in charge and we will have firmware updates coming to improve your video and photo capture experience.

For further details, check out this link https://gopro.com/en/us/news/hero9-black-launch-updates.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hey guys, just tested my Hero 9 with my old GoPro audio adapter and I was surprised to find out that it did, in fact, work for me.  

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi,

We clearly need the external mic recording to come back!

I'm recording external audio source (in an aircraft) so it's useless for me if not capable to record via USB C mic like all the other GoPros
When the update will be released?

Thanks

Tourist

[ New ]

It appears that the ability to use the external mic adapter and hence third party cages has been removed by the first firmware up date. Either an oversight or is it delibrate?

Watch this video on YouTube

GoPro Hero 9 - Audio Adapter is No Longer Compatible!!! by Ian Craig

Hiker

[ New ]

The audio adapter was disabled in the first update as I showed in my video. Out of the box, with no update, there was none of the new stabilisation and the mic worked. After the update, no mic could be used other than via a Media Mod. I had my stabilisation but no audio adapter.

Hopefully, GoPro will find a fix for this because many people have updated from the 7 or 8, fully expecting the audio to work the same way.

Hiker

[ New ]

It looks like the new firmware for the Hero 9 disables the ability for the External sound module to be used. Is this a mistake or is it deliberate? Check out these two YouTube videos exploring the issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1lwBrmbjyU&t=9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dYP7EqgsG0

If this is deleberate it will definately stop me from upgrading.

GoPro Hero9 Black https://geni.us/GoProHero9BlackGoPro Media Mod for Hero9 Black https://geni.us/GoProMediaModForHero9GoPro Hero8 Black https://geni.us/GoPro...
Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone. As stated in the public article that we released, we’ve had to temporarily disable external mic functionality on the HERO9 Black without the Media Mod to fix some bugs. Learn more about recent updates through https://gopro.com/en/us/news/hero9-black-launch-updates .

Tourist

[ New ]

Then the question is when are you bringing the audio menu back.
I did not buy this very expensive new camera to lose the sound and be obliged to use the old GoPro instead...

Tourist

[ New ]

I use the Nflightcam Audio Solution for GoPro when flying and it works great on my 7 silver and black. I tried it on the 9 for the first time today and have just watched my footage back and there is no audio at all, I can only hear the engine noise (almost as if the Nflightcam is not connected. Has anybody had any joy getting this to work? Hopefully, I can return the GoPro for a full refund if not.

Hiker

[ New ]

GoPro say that there will be an update to bring this back. Apparently, it was causing problems on the 9 so they removed it.

Nomad

[ New ]

The GoPro Mic adapter is not fully compatible with the GoPro Hero 9 (yet) and therefore has been disabled.  GoPro are working on a Firmware update due to be released Oct 22nd which will enable the GoPro Mic Adapter once again.

Hiker

[ New ]

@brewcityrider wrote:

Hey guys, just tested my Hero 9 with my old GoPro audio adapter and I was surprised to find out that it did, in fact, work for me.  

Disregard...I didn't know that connecting the ProMic adapter no longer disabled the internal mic's.  After further testing, the audio I was getting was just coming from the internal mics.  Looking forward to the new firmware that re-enables the audio adapter.

Tourist

[ New ]

I received my Hero9 yesterday and have the latest updates but the Pro Mic Adapter does not work with my Rode NTG.  Big show stopper for me.  I probably will return it.

Nomad

[ New ]

The GoPro Mic adapter is not fully compatible with the GoPro Hero 9 (yet) and therefore has been disabled.  GoPro are working on a Firmware update due to be released Oct 22nd which will enable the GoPro Mic Adapter once again.

Tourist

[ New ]

In the meantime I've bought the media mod wich should fix the problem BUT when I connect my USB C Mic adapter in the Media Mod it's not taking the sound from it and instead recording through the Media Mod Mic!
It's driving me crazy as there is no way I can record Through my external Mic

Hiker

[ New ]

@raphlondon wrote:

In the meantime I've bought the media mod wich should fix the problem BUT when I connect my USB C Mic adapter in the Media Mod it's not taking the sound from it and instead recording through the Media Mod Mic!
It's driving me crazy as there is no way I can record Through my external Mic

If I am understanding you correctly, you are plugging your ProMic adapter into the media mod, correct?  If so, don't do that.  Just plug your MIC directly into the media mod port.  Let us know if that works for you.

Tourist

[ New ]
Are they going to be releasing another firmware update on the 22nd?
V1.22 came out today (20th). And no fix for the audio adapter in this release. I hope that isn't it for another 5 weeks, it just seems daft to release two firmware updates in two days. Why not just one. Which is why I am asking.
Nomad

[ New ]

There wont be 2 firmware updates in 2 days..

Tourist

[ New ]
As I suspected. They promised a firmware update on the 22nd to address the audio adapter. I've been banking in that. Now it looks like it's another 5 or 6 weeks away. Disgraceful, after it was purchased on release day. And no I don't want the media mod.
Nomad

[ New ]

There were only two firmware updates promised so far, details of which can be found here:

https://gopro.com/en/us/news/hero9-black-launch-updates

The original firmware update for October 22nd never said it would address the audio adapter problem, that was always slated for the November update.  The only thing that changed in the October update was that they were ahead of schedule so they changed the date from the 22nd to the 20th.

The November update is still planning to address the GoPro mic adapter.

Nomad

[ New ]

W takim razie trzeba wycofac opis w dziale sprzedaży z adapterem. Jasno jest tam napisane że działa z GoproHero 9 co jest nieprawdą.

Tourist

[ New ]
That's not the imression we got from this thread (see below), also mentioned by a vlogger that he was told the same by GoPro. And finally when I emailed your returns team a few weeks ago, I was told "we are working on a fix for the audio adapter, and would be fixed in the next firmware update".

I just think it should be the first thing fixed when they are selling compatable items that don't work. If you bring out a new piece of hardware and it doesn't work with other recently sold compatable items, then it should be rectified immediately. Unless they want to force sales of the media mod, which we all suspected anyway. Not helping quash those rumours I'm afraid.

POSTED EARLIER ON THIS THREAD
"The GoPro Mic adapter is not fully compatible with the GoPro Hero 9 (yet) and therefore has been disabled.
GoPro are working on a Firmware update due to be released Oct 22nd which will enable the GoPro Mic Adapter once AGAIN"
Hiker

[ New ]

No mention of the mic ‘popping’ sound on the internal mics in the update. Has anyone tried it yet? Maybe the internal noise from the mics will be also fixed in November?

Tourist

[ New ]

I agree with all of the previous posts. Really disappointed that external mic doesn't work. It did on my 7 which I passed on when I bought the 9. Wish I had looked at this the thread before I just purchased the 9  this week. Would have stayed with the 7.

Tourist

[ New ]

Please not that the Pro 3.5 mic adaptor is NOT compatible with the Hero9 at this time.  I had to go through several technical support people trying to figure out why my Hero9 wouldn't take auidio input from the adaptor, until I found one who admitted that it is not yet compatible, but they're working on a fix.  Please respond to this note if anyone has any more encouraging information.  

Nomad

[ New ]

This is true and a well known fact at this point.  The Audio Adapter compability will be re-enabled at the end of November with a firmware fix.  

https://gopro.com/en/us/news/hero9-black-launch-updates

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello irishmanpdx,  is the information about the update from GoPro or just speculation? 

Nomad

[ New ]
Nomad

[ New ]

Are you asking if the information published on a webpage owned by GoPro (linked in previous post), edited by GoPro staff, confirmed by GoPro staff across multiple forum posts is speculation?  ..............  I mean....... seriously?

Hiker

[ New ]
Hi Harlan. GoPro did put out a message saying that the audio adapter will be enabled at the end of November. I had also heard from somewhere that it may be delayed

As usual, a case of wait and see.
Nomad

[ New ]

Ile można czekać? Miesiąc, dwa , zaraz będzie trzy miesiące. Wg mnie to lekka przesada. Na stronie gopro dalej jest informacja że adapter działa z gopro 9 co jest nieprawdą.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks for the clarification. 

Sightseer

[ New ]
The latest firmware update has not fixed this issue. I have a media mod and the camera overheats very easily even when recording 1080p 24f with both screens off. My solution was to replace the media mod with an aluminum housing with cooling fins and a mic adapter. Mic adapter doesn't work so my new gopro is useless until this issue is resolved... please help me out gopro
20201211_093357.jpg