Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

External audio syncing with GoPro Silver 7 video

I have recently upgraded from the GoPro Hero 3 to the GoPro Silver 7 and use it for video recording a vlog.

The issue I am having is syncing the audio with the video. I have read many other threads where it’s the actual audio from the GoPro that’s out of sync but mine is coming from a different source, then using iMovie to cross them over.

I didn’t have this issue with my GoPro Hero 3. I was able to put my external audio recorded on a mixer and sync it to the video with no issues but now I’m using the GoPro Silver 7, once I do the syncing, it starts off fine but once it hits the 7/8-minute mark the video starts to lag. Has anyone else experienced this and what do I need to fix it? I’m assuming it can be done as it works fine on the Hero 3. I am shooting in 1080 and use a SanDisk Ultra micro SD card.

Highlighted
Explorer

Re: External audio syncing with GoPro Silver 7 video

First, start off by throwing away the SanDisk Ultra or use it another device.  SanDisk Ultra is a cheap low performance card that will eventually start giving you issues that you will misinterpret as issues with the camera.  Use a card from this list.

Are you syncing based on the audio profiles of each device?  Be sure to use a sharp and loud audio maker 5 - 10 seconds after both devices have started recording, like a clapboard. Since the GoPro chapters the videos, they may not be syncing up correctly when you add them to your editor.  You may need to cut your audio file into segments to match the chaptering.  Also, adding some audio markers approx every five minutes and might help your editor keep them in sync.

What frame rate are you filming in and does your timeline sequence setting match?

I've done some audio syncing in Adobe Premiere Pro  with my HERO7 and Zoom H1n and haven't running into any issues.  I use a SanDisk Extreme v30 64GB in my camera.  I generally use 29.97fps (30fps) in the camera and use the same fps in my timeline sequence setting. I don't use iMovie so I can't say for certain where your issue is coming from your SD card or Editor.  The HERO3 is an entirely different camera than the HERO7 Silver so they really aren't an apples to apples comparison.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hello

Thank you for the reply. Ok, good to know it may be the SD card. I will upgrade to an extreme and hope that fixes the issue.

By both audio files do you mean my mixer and the audio from the GoPro 7?? If so, then yes that’s what I am basing my sync off with the usual 3 clap trick before I begin.

The chapters are at the 17.5 minute mark and my issue is happening way before then so I don’t think it could be the chapters.

My framerate is the same as yours, 1080-30. I’m not sure what you mean by timeline sequence setting but I will try changing the SD card and hope that works.

Appreciate your assistance and will let you know how I go…

Highlighted
Explorer

No problem.

Just to be clear, I cannot guarantee the SD card is the culprit. It very well might not be, although we can't rule it out. What I can say, as a person who has owned every GoPro since the 2010 HERO HD, is that the SanDisk Ultra has a long history of causing issues with GoPro cameras. Often these issues appear to have no relationship to the card; however, once the user switches to an appropriate card, the issue disappears. Over on the reddit.com/r/GoPro site, they got so tired of addressing all of the SanDisk Ultra issues they created a bot to automatically display a warning message anytime SD cards are discussed.

Whether it solves this issue or not, I can confidently say you are better off getting an approved card.

Timeline refers to the area in the editor where you put the clips together. Sequence settings are how you tell the editor to handle and display the clips. In general, most editors can handle mixed footage, but you can run into issues, especially like with what you're doing.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about iMovie to talk about it specifically, but if it is using a true 30fps, then it could explain the gradually loss of syncing. Your camera actually records at 29.97 frames per second. If the timeline in iMovie is 30fps (instead of 29.97) then it would make sense that over a period of time the audio doesn't match exactly. If you have the option, change the setting in iMovie to make the timeline 29.97fps.

You might want to try a more professional editor and see if you get the same results. You can download and use DaVinci Resolve for absolutely free. It's a very good editor and even used by the movie industry. It might be a little confusing at first, but there are plenty of YouTube videos available to help you learn it.

Best of luck!