Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

External Microphone

[ New ]

I recently bought the Hero 7 Black.  I bought an external mic (Purple Panda) and the GoPro Mic Adaptor.  When testing the setup and playing back the video I only get hissing for the audio.  The Input is set to Standard and each other setting produces the same result.  I sent the Mic Adaptor back thinking it must be bad and reordered a second.  The results are the same with the new adaptor.  The mic is plugged in using the TRRS to TRS adaptor and works when plugged into an Iphone.  I have searched the internet for a solution but can find nothing with clear instructions to determin what is causing the issue.  There are no issues using the built-in mic.  Voice control works without the external mic but not when trying to use an external mic.

Please provide me with a solution to this issue.

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: External Microphone

[ New ]

Hello @walkoverhere1. Considering the type of microphone that you are using (powered or non-powered), see if this factors in when recording using your camera and the mic adapter. There is information here External Microphone Information with the Pro 3.5mm Mic Adaptor regarding how to operate the camera when a mic adapter is attached. Let us know what you find out. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Explorer

[ New ]

Are you turning the camera on using the side Mode button

attaching the mic adapter

connecting the mic to the adapter

and then stating the recording?

Or, are you doing it in a different order?

Or, are you using the top shutter to turn on the camera and start recoding?

Tourist

[ New ]
Makes no difference. Tried everything every which way
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @walkoverhere1. Considering the type of microphone that you are using (powered or non-powered), see if this factors in when recording using your camera and the mic adapter. There is information here External Microphone Information with the Pro 3.5mm Mic Adaptor regarding how to operate the camera when a mic adapter is attached. Let us know what you find out. 

Tourist

[ New ]
I have tried the suggestions and it still does nit work.
GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the quick reply, @walkoverhere1. If available, see if using a different microphone will improve the results. This will help us isolate the source of the trouble. For further troubleshooting, our Support team at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs will be able to help. You may reach them by phone or chat. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Ich habe exakt das gleiche Problem und bin auf der Lösungssuche... Sobald sich bei mir was tut werde ich berichten:-)

Tourist

[ New ]
Thank you, i will do the same once i find the solution
GoPro

[ New ]

@walkoverhere1, your time and patience are very much appreciated.

Tourist

[ New ]

Working!

So I ordered TRRS to TRS adaptors from Amazon and got them today.  I received two 4 inch 90 degree adapters and one straight adapter.

I pluged in a 90 degree adapter and got the audio to record in the standard Mic mode.  I'm short on time to test the other adapters but did short recordings in the Standard Mic and Standard Mic+ modes and got good sound.  The next test will come after installing the mic and adapters into a motorcycle helmet.

I am using the GoPro Hero 7 and GoPro Audio Adapter with a Purple Panda Microphone.  The Adapter from Purple Panda was the issue and the adapters bought seperately are as follows on Amazon.

Riqiorod TRRS to TRS Adapter Cable, 2Packs 3.5mm Audio Microphone Cords + 1PC TRRS Female to TRS Male Audio Adapter, for DSLR Camera, PC, Laptop, and iPhone, Android, Samsung, Windows Smartphone (RC3)

Just to be absolutely fair to Purple Panda,  they have sent a replacement that has not arrived yet.  They voluntarily sent this out on their own to help resolve my issue as soon as possible.  Hats off to them.

GoPro

[ New ]

Great to know, @walkoverhere1. Thank you for keeping us posted. This will definitely help others who might be having the same concern. 

Sightseer

[ New ]
I have the same issue, I was wondering if you found the answer for it??
Sightseer

[ New ]
Did you find an answer for this??
Tourist

[ New ]
Yes the solution is contained in my previous post.
The trs cable was bad
Sightseer

[ New ]
Was a solution ever found for this issue? Have the same problem with my Hero 8 and purple panda mic.
Tourist

[ New ]

Yes,  Read the post that says I've got it working

Adventurer

[ New ]

Glad you  found your issue that you have a smartphone mic