Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

External Microphone While Using Karma Grip?

[ New ]

Has anyone looked into rigging up an external mircophone for the Hero5 while it is mounted in the Karma grip stick?

Seeing how the Hero5 is mounted to the Karma grip with both cable inputs plugging straight into the Karma frame/mount I fear I know the answer to this question ... and the answer is "no."

But thought I'd ask anyway and see if anyone was able to come up with some sort of work-around.

I mean, you'd think GoPro would have designed a solution to this.  If you're out there filming with your Hero5 and using your Karma grip to get awesome stabilized, cinematic-looking shots, you'd want the ability to capture high-quality audio as well.

Was this just too much for GoPro to figure out?  Couldn't they have simply designed into the Karma Grip an external micro-USB access point so you could add-on an additional quality shotgun mic?  People want the ability to shoot as high-quality as possible.  So why not engineer the ability to add an external microphone to the Karma rig as well?

Anyway, hoping that either someone has come up with a solution or that GoPro will be getting a new Karma grip with mic cable input .

Explorer

Re: External Microphone While Using Karma Grip?

[ New ]
We're hoping an update to the Grip will allow an external mic to be plugged into the base through the USB-C. Likelihood is low but hopes are high.
Anonymous

[ New ]

Likelihood is low?

That's unfortunate.  With so many options available to people in the action sports cam industry, one would think GoPro would want to keep a step up on the competition as much as possible.  The entire point of adding shooting platforms like the Karma Grip and Drone and for improving the camera quality is to give consumers the best shooting experience possible and being able to record quality sound is part of that experience.

I'm going to guess that audio is a low priority for GoPro precisely because their cameras are primarily used for action sports and synched audio is not a major part of that type of shooting.  But here are a few reasons why I think GoPro should strongly reconsider their low priority of sync audio:

1)  Say you're shooting a bouldering video ... or a surfing video.  You're getting lots of great action shots.  You're also getting some good interview moments ... and there's no need for the Karma grip for the interviews ... and you have no problem clipping in a quality mic for the interview shots.  But ... you've got this Karma Grip device.  And instead of static lock-down shots for the interview segments, you'd like to put these parts up on their feet ... with the climber hiking up to the boulder(s) or the surfer walking along the beach.  With GoPro you're out of luck.  So you're forced to use a different camera with different stabilization and now you're editing different formats together and you're hoping that won't be a problem and you really wish you could just shoot it all on the same camera anyway.  You really wish you could get a great moving stabilized shot for the talking bits of your video ... but there's no way to get a quality audio mic hooked up for quality sync sound with the Karma Grip.

2)  You'd like to shoot action shots where there WON'T be a full music track.  You've got some ideas for some action shots where you want to create an intense sequence where the audio is all about what the action sports athlete is hearing ... be it his/her breathing, grunts, words of encouragement from his spotter ... on a sketchy off-the-deck boulder problem ... or the rattle and pounding his/her mountain bike creates as it flys down a rocky narrow ridge line.  Having the ability to lav the athlete or shotgun him/her with a quality mic would be perfecto.  But with GoPro you don't have that option.  So what do you do?  You can record a lot of it on a second or third camera and then build the track in a sound editor ... but really ... who wants to do that?  I'd imagine you'd look for other camera options at that point.

3)  Very specifically with say a bouldering video ... there's a lot of audio going on during a send.  The crew has a lot to say ... the climber is making interesting noises (a la Chris Sharma) ... instructions on where to move the pads ... beta is flying ... and okay ... bouldering video were shot long before the Karma Grip came out ... but the Grip now gives the bouldering video shooter so much greater stability for shooting he/she wants to keep it on the Karma stabilizer head as often as possible and wouldn't it just be peaches to be able to shoot all that with that Karma AND get the synced audio on a quality track?

Now ... with #2 and 3 you might be saying, well, you can get a lot of that audio through the ambient mic built into the Hero.  But here's the problem (and I don't know if GoPro is aware of this or not) ... when the Hero camera is mounted into the Karma frame ... for some reason the audio quality takes a severe dive.  Some of it might be due to the frame covering up the mic "hole."  But there's a noticeable "hum" or "buzzing" as well.  I don't know if that's because of the cable port connections and how they mate up with the inputs built into the Karma frame ... or there's a slight bit of feedback from the circuitry of the frame ... or what ... I'm not an engineer.

But I do know I noticed this problem with the audio right away ... and I have seen others in online reviews make mention of it as well.  I had been hoping that reviewers overstated the audio problem ... but unfortunately when I did my first test shots with the Karma and Hero5, I immediately noticed hum/buzz.

Anyway ... I do hope GoPro gives this issue the attention it deserves.  It seems like a no-brainer to me.

If i'm shooting a climbing video (or any other action sports video) I would want the option of sticking with one system for the simplicity.  And I would certainly want the ability to record quality audio while making use of the Karma Grip.  While I can see how GoPro might think audio is a low priority for action sports shooting, I hope through my examples they can see how much a shooter would like to make it a part of his/her capabilities/options. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Just wanted to add one last thought ...

The thing is ... GoPro Karma Grip has been getting rough reviews online.  When compared to comparable stabilizers by other manufacturers, the Karma Grip has been coming last.  Part of it is due to the build which a lot of people think is not great ... and a big part of it is the battery life of only 1 hour.

Bottom line ... the Karma Grip is already getting dinged heavily in reviews when compared to the competition.  I would think GoPro would want to avoid having the audio problem being yet another issue and another reason for consumers to buy a different stabilizer.

Tourist

[ New ]

Bitterly disappointed by this.What a major design flaw. I have just bought a Hero 5 , Karmagrip and a Rode micro mic

also ordered a mic adapter.Might not have bothered. Is the grip even waterproof also or is this another fauxpas.

Anonymous

[ New ]
I have karma drone, hero5 and karma grip. It's awesome but karma grip with hero 5 have the worst audio ever! Please update software so we can ise external microphone trough usb c! This will have no competition and your sales will increase a lot believe me. I'm disappointed about sound issues
Tourist

[ New ]

I was bitterly disappointed with this. I only recently was given a hero 5 for my birthday.  The camera is great the sound is crap. I then bought an external mike Rode but then discovered when the camera is attached to the Karma grip this was no good to me.Duh!!!!

Tourist

[ New ]

I am wanting a Gimbal but are not buying one until Gopro sort out the audio issues with the Karma Grip. €350 is a load of money for a product that doesn't allow an external mic to be plugged in. Either they need to enable to port on the bottom of the handle, sort out the firmware or release the Karma Grip V2.

@Gopro - what are the plans for the near future??

Tourist

[ New ]

As full-time youtuber I was very eager to spend my Paton's money on the Karma grip and bring them amazing footage with my hero 5. Highly disappointed at the poor audio sound I looked at running an external mic from the USB on the k Grip. Not possible? Come on GoPro...You can do better than this?  Anyone have any answers or is this a giant flaw that GopPro are unable to address wasting their customers' money and time?                 

Anonymous

[ New ]

no update from Gopro regarding audio with the Karma grip? Are they just considering this an unfinished wrong product and leave us in the rain?

Anonymous

[ New ]

Really bad we can't use a mic on the Karma grip, for now I use the external recorder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk_xzfX9s3I I hope gopro comes with a proper solution for this soon! keep spreading this need!

Tascam DR-10l http://amzn.to/2Cp9Q9PGopro Hero 6 http://amzn.to/2EusX0EGopro Karma grip http://amzn.to/2CqyA1uTascam DR-10L review in real world test review ...
Explorer

[ New ]
The USB-C slot on the Karma Grip is not equipped to handle adding an external mic. This was addressed by GoPro a long time ago. It's not going to happen. Perhaps they will be able to add bluetooth connectivity to the Hero6 Black with the new GP1 processor, but there has been no mention of this. Utilizing an external recorder is the best solution to improved audio while using the current Karma Grip.
Nomad

[ New ]

Well, we certainly don't now for sure of the Hero bus can not be made available on the USB-C connector on the grip. The connector does work for both charging, firmware updates and file access. So why not for accesories.

What we do know is that there is nothing which prevents an external wireless microphone connectivity over blutooth/wifi. On both Hero4, Hero5 and Hero6. They just don't care to support it.

https://gethypoxic.com/blogs/technical/40114945-updated-whats-next-from-gopro-inc

"EXTERNAL BLUETOOTH MICROPHONE / AUDIO IN ACCESSORY

Seen this in the code for a bit. It may come one of these years."

Explorer

[ New ]
There was a post either here or on Reddit by a GoPro engineer a little after the Karma Grip came out. The engineer stated that the Grip could not be configured to accept a mic through the USB-C port. Hopefully they come out with a Bluetooth solution.

GoPro knows how many Karma Grips and ProMic adapters they've sold. I'm sure these numbers contribute to the decision making as to where to focus resources. Although people think of GoPro as being a large company due to the brand recognition, it's actually relatively small.
Tourist

[ New ]

@danielr15 wrote:
There was a post either here or on Reddit by a GoPro engineer a little after the Karma Grip came out. The engineer stated that the Grip could not be configured to accept a mic through the USB-C port. Hopefully they come out with a Bluetooth solution.

GoPro knows how many Karma Grips and ProMic adapters they've sold. I'm sure these numbers contribute to the decision making as to where to focus resources. Although people think of GoPro as being a large company due to the brand recognition, it's actually relatively small.

Small? really? Gopro are a world leader in their field. How can they be relatively small?

Nomad

[ New ]

Gopro topped at about 5 million cameras sold in 2014. The seem to be found in stores all over the developed wolrd, so they are not smal in that sense, but compared to Apple or Samsung they are still miniscule. And the 5 million has since dropped to a couple of million cameras a year.

Nomad

[ New ]

"The engineer stated that the Grip could not be configured to accept a mic through the USB-C port."

Sad to read about such a design failure. The wiring in the stabilizer might be to blame.

Anonymous

[ New ]
There is no excuse for such a glaring oversight. There are plenty of other handheld gimbals on the market at all price points that perform as well, if not better, yet still allow the use of external audio. This should have been a no-brainer during design of the Karma Grip. I typically use a Zoom H1 to record my external audio so not a deal breaker for me but the option to use external audio plugged directly into the camera would have been nice.
Nomad

[ New ]

The DJI Osmo have a mic input on the grip. I belive this also ships with a small mic called DJI FM-15 with the option of using an external mic of your choise.

medium_OSMO_PART_44_DJI_FM-15_FlexiMic__6_.jpg
Anonymous

[ New ]
That is true on the original Osmo. Unfortunately, that version is no longer being manufactured and the Osmo 2 does not have the microphone input.
Tourist

[ New ]

Maybe I am misunderstanding the issue described in this thread, but I just put my GoPro Hero 6 Black in my Karma Grip and put the Rode Micro with a 3/8" to 1/4' sleeve in the base on a GoPro tripod mount then put that tripod mount upside down on the Karma Grip collar mount.  I plugged the Rode into the GoPro 3.5mm external mic adapter and plugged the mic adapter into the USB C of the Karma Grip and then put my power into the mic adapter and I got great audio.  To recap I had power through the adapter to the grip to the camera and audio from the mic to the adapter and also to the grip to the camera.  

Anonymous

[ New ]

Really? - you had an external mic working via the Karma grip? - I'm about to return mine as I had read it wasn't possible......  You mentioned power? - was that phantom power for the mic - or do you/did you need for the mic adapter? - if so which mic adapter are you using?

Anonymous

[ New ]
You did? Please see my post next in the string:)
Anonymous

[ New ]

Are you sure you are receiving audio over the Rode microphone vs. the GoPro 6?  Can you please post a picture to show how that looks?  

Tourist

[ New ]

Sure, I will take a photo of it how I assemble it, and I will also try to try to throw something together tomorrow in the way of a quick video showing the rig assembled, and with the external mic both plugged in and then unplugged for audio comparison.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi Boblarimer. I would be dead keen to see your video of this setup. Thanks for taking the time to film and edit a video of this. We pretty much have set aside Gopro's Karma grip as being redundant due to the lack of audio use. Looking fwd to your video link. 

Tourist

[ New ]

So I did set up this morning and I found that apparently I was mistaken when I previously stated my external mic was working when routed through my Karma Grip.  I have gone back and re-reviewed my previous GoPro video which I thought had captured the external mic and apparently, it was a coincidence that the audio the GoPro captured was better than expected and I incorrectly assumed it was the external mic.  My sincerest apologies for indicating otherwise and regrettably I now find myself with the same conundrum as the rest of you.

I will be researching the update to the Karma firmware to see if that will resolve the issue and regardless of the outcome I will be much more cautious about posting results of my future experiences if I should find the need/opportunity to post. 

Anonymous

[ New ]
Bob, thank you so much for checking into this. We were all pulling for your solution. Hopefully GoPro will figure out how this very needed feature can be included in the current Karma grip via firmware like you suggest. If not possible, then maybe for version 2?

Surely there is a smart technical mind out there that can figure this out.. :-). Thanks again for checking!!!
Tourist

[ New ]

Plus one.....I need the audio also on my Karma Grip via the USB C port...come on GoPro !

Tourist

[ New ]

With the new Hero 7 and its new hyper Smooth stabilization, we might be able to ditch the Karma Grip. I made a video about it.  https://youtu.be/uZCk0v9fMx8

This is my second review of the new Hero 7. The first one was a bit rough so I have unlisted it and redone this one with some extra footage with some of the ...
GoPro

[ New ]

Very cool video and clever comparisons, too! Thank you for sharing, @spirystar50387. Stay stoked!

Nomad

[ New ]

It looks like you made video of the Hero 7 with the old firmware, So, the audio was worse, the underwater colors worse, and no hyperstabilization in 4K 60P, among other differences with the updated camera. That firmware was available September 26. Need to make yet another video? 

Tourist

[ New ]

True that mate. I am not really qualified to do reviews but I just did it straight out of the box. Might do a new clip once I sort my **bleep** out. Thanks for the heads up but someone on the video commented that same thing, maybe that someone was you even.