Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

External Mic issue but different to the other ones.

Hi,

Just bought a new old stock Hero 5 from approved supplier here in UK and separately bought the Pro Mic adapter direct from GoPro.

I updated firmware immediately and used it immediately for an important video at an event where I was caught out by the stupid QuIck Capture bug not allowing the external mic to work.  Can this not be fixed by a firmware update?

All I could do was switch off Quick Capture which I did.

Didn't expect to get caught out again but seeming if you press record before turning camera on, it doesn't seem to do anything but the LED flashes and when you turn it on, then press record to get recording going you don't any audio!

Does anyone know what happens when Quick Capture is off, the camera is off and you press record because something is happening.

On the verge of returning everything as can't believe GoPro are selling stuff that doesn't work properly and haven't done a firmware update to rectify this as it's been reported now for many years.

Thanks guys

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: External Mic issue but different to the other ones.

Hi @coolpike44046

If you haven't yet please check the special note listed on 

External Microphone Information with the Pro 3.5mm Mic Adaptor and Media Mod

If the Quikcapture option is set to Off, pressing the shutter button while the camera is powered off will not initiate a recording.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for the reply EJ,

I appreciate that with Quick Capture off pressing record doesn't initiate a recording.

My question which isn't covered in that external mic guide is as follows;

With QC off and the camera powered off, when you press the record button, the LEDs flash a few times.  Then if you turn the camera on and press record, the external mic doesn't work just like when using QC.  All the guides say turn QC off and that sorts the external mic issue but now if you inadvertently press record with the camera off (quite easy mistake to make) then turn it on and start recording you can still ruin important recordings by having zero audio.

Also when using the app to control the camera, if it's off and you press record to get the flashing LEDs, you can't turn the camera on via the app.

It's all very strange and unnecessary, filming under pressure is hard enough!

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @coolpike44046

Let our Support Team check on this further.

You may submit a request for a callback or initiate a chat session through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Heads up! Our team is currently working through a volume of contacts, response time may be slightly longer than usual. We appreciate your understanding.

Thanks!

Ej