Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

External Mic Adapter, using USB-C extension

In an attempt to record external audio i've used a 6ft long usb-c extension cable that I have confirmed to work for charging and data with a Pixel 2 XL to the oem charger and my desktop computer. When I'm using the extension I unlock the input/output options for the mic/linein featuer in the menu but when everything is connected it records zero audio. are we not able to use an extension with these adapter? having a power cable and mic cable hanging from the camera seems wrong to me and it would be in my field of vision while driving. 

Hiker

Re: External Mic Adapter, using USB-C extension

The 2 cables that I can confirm 100% working are the Anker [2-Pack, 6ft] Powerline+ USB-C to USB-A, Double-Braided Nylon Fast Charging Cable and the the Anker Powerline+ USB-C to USB-A 2.0 Cable [10ft]

Both of these cables have a 56k Ohm pull-out resistor which is required to work properly with the 3.5mm ProMic Adapter or just powering the HERO7 Black externally via a USB power bank or car cigarette USB charger. The cheapo noname USB cables on Amazon DO NOT work properly because they do not meet the specific USB-C requirements.

Also, the included official GoPro cable is USB-C to USB 2.0. If you have a USB-C to USB 3.0 it may not work properly either.

Had that problem myself and ordered the 6ft & 10ft Anker USB-C to USB 2.0 cables and all is solved and working perfect now!

Tourist

Are you using this cable between the camera and the mic adapter or between your battery bank and the mic adapter? I'm trying to move the adapter to a remote location. I'm convinced my adapter is junk as I've tried 4 cables with a 56k resistor and they work on EVERYTHING else and now I can't even get the adapter to work by itself.
Hiker

Between the battery bank and the mic adapter.

Hiker

I also tried to run the mic adapter powered but ran into a little different problem.  First off, without external power the set up worked.  The problem came when I plugged in the gopro charging cable into the mic adapter - it caused strange camera behaviors.  Sometimes the camera would hang, sometimes it would start recording and reboot, other times the record button was unresponsive.  I was running a 15 watt USB power supply for this test - and of course the gopro 7 works fine with that cable and power supply.

So I'm wondering if I got a bad mic adapter or is there some other power issue you all have run into?

GoPro

Hi @rockydusk33184

When a charging cable is attached, It's not supposed to affect the performance of the adapter.

Please reach out to our Support Team for assistance.

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

it is possible to use both a type c extension cable with the gopro mic adapter however there are some steps tou need to follow ..I made a video about it on my YouTube channel www.www.youtube.com/c/mikeyzvlogz
Tourist

as for using a power bank with gopro this also is possible ... however I cant seem to use a type c charger while recording it will only allow power bank for some reason ....