Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

External Battery

I did a nightlapse video with a external battery. The battery went dead before I stopped the video. When I uplaoded the media to Quik, there were just pics, no video.

My understanding is that the camera creates the video when the shutter button is pressed to end the shoot? Since the external battery went dead, it wasn't saved as a video?

But the camera will recognize the internal battery going dead ans save the video before it shuts off?

Am I correct on this?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: External Battery

When you're shooting a nightlapse, please note, that you need to remove the internal battery of the GoPro first as the battery will not charge while the camera is in use.  This means that even with an external power supply attached, the GoPro will continue to work off the internal battery until it runs flat and powers off the camera.  Once the camera powers off, it will then recharge the internal battery from the external source.

The GoPro Hero 7 doesn't have a nightlapse video mode, it only has a nightlapse photo mode.  Therefore you will only see pictures on your camera which need to be assembled into a video clip tvia a video editor.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Nomad

When you're shooting a nightlapse, please note, that you need to remove the internal battery of the GoPro first as the battery will not charge while the camera is in use.  This means that even with an external power supply attached, the GoPro will continue to work off the internal battery until it runs flat and powers off the camera.  Once the camera powers off, it will then recharge the internal battery from the external source.

The GoPro Hero 7 doesn't have a nightlapse video mode, it only has a nightlapse photo mode.  Therefore you will only see pictures on your camera which need to be assembled into a video clip tvia a video editor.

Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks, I am still trying to figure out this camera. I guess the problem is with Quik. After a 24 hour nightlapse, Quik will load all the photos, 2700 of them, but will not play them as a video. It shows that the video is there, but it is just a black screen and wont play. I have done shorter nightlapse shoots with no problem. I will have to play around with them.