Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Export to H264 - 5.6K ?

Wrong again. GoPro didn't create Cineform. Cineform created the codec. GoPro just purchased it, along with Cineform's video editor (which became GoPro Studio and required Quiktime in it's early stages of development). GoPro then released Cineform as opensource.

I'll admit that initially no 360 camera companies offered an in house video editor for their 360 cameras and even Insta360 recommends using GoPro's Reframe plugins with Adobe Premiere for best editing results. I'll also admit that while GoPro is a worldwide brand, they are a relatively small company with less than a thousand total employees. I also know for a fact that they are working on a Windows solution called GoPro Player that will give the same functionality. I also know that you can get virtually the same, if not better, results using the GoPro mobile app.
Highlighted
Nomad

In all fairness, Apple traditionally have had a very firm grasp of what hardware goes into their systems.  This means there is a huge overall reduction with hardware incompatability issues when designing software to run on those systems.  This means creating software for those systems usually progresses a lot faster.  This is why GoPro concentrated on this first, to get something out the door as quickly as possible for the greatest number of users.

Windows based systems on the other hand are the wild wild west.  There is a huge amount of hardware combinations out there, graphics cards, processors, ram, different rendering options etc. that have to be taken into account when creating software for these systems.  To create software that takes advantage of all these different options in order to speed up rendering while remaining stable takes a heck of a lot of time and effort. 

Also the majority of video editors and graphics designers have had a preference for Apple due to their stability and speed and this is why companies have concentrated on this market first.  In recent years Windows users have not only caught up to Apple's performance but are now surpassing it and this is causing a shift in software demand.  

GoPro have been playing catchup with Windows it's true, but they do have dedicated teams working on Windows based software.  Yes this will take time but they are dedicated to capturing this market and developing it.  They've seen what other companies are offering (who have far more resources and cash to throw at this) and they have realized that they need to beat them in terms of what their software can do.

To this end, yup, please go ahead and feel frustrated about the lack of Windows based software available, that's your right entirely.  However do hold out hope that new software will be coming and it's actively been worked on.  The best thing you can do to help speed this up and have the features that you need is to join the Beta developement groups or use the "feedback" section of these forums to make suggestions for functions you would like to see in such software.  

You've seen there is a problem for Windows users, now is your chance to help address it.  Be part of the solution and not only help yourself by getting great software in the process, but help GoPro improve it's foothold by having software with features that other's haven't even thought of yet.

BTW don't believe everything @danielr15 says, the earth IS flat....  otherwise we'd all fall off the bottom ?:OP

Highlighted
Explorer

Aww man, I really wanted to like this post, but then you had to ruin it at the end! 😜
Highlighted
Hiker

@irishmanpdx  ha scritto:

The best thing you can do to help speed this up and have the features that you need is to join the Beta developement groups or use the "feedback" section of these forums to make suggestions for functions you would like to see in such software.

Hi, I read a similar post of yours in another thread and I would also agree with what you write.

This solution would be the only one possible if I had purchased a MAX; but since I noticed these gaps BEFORE buying it, the quickest solution is to not buy a MAX.

Highlighted
Nomad

That's not really a solution though.  The best solution is to use the GoPro exporter and then reframe your video using the insta360 software, all free. People just don't want to have to go to the bother though and want an all in one solution, I agree, there should be an all in one solution.

Highlighted
Hiker

@irishmanpdx  ha scritto:

That's not really a solution though.  The best solution is to use the GoPro exporter and then reframe your video using the insta360 software, all free.

Yes, it is possible to do all this. However, as I have already written in the other thread where this topic was discussed, there are some flaws in doing this procedure, which I personally verified:

1) You have to export ALL your video from ".360" to MP4, so you waste more time.

2) Export to MP4 is reduced to 4K (as was said in this thread). You will tell me: "Use Cineform", but this is not possible because it is not read by Insta360 Studio. It gives me error when importing a Cineform file.

3) Using Insta360 Studio with a non ".insv" movie will result in the loss of all available artificial intelligence functions (although we will be discussing how intelligent they are Smiley Very Happy).

4) Using an MP4 file as an editing start in Insta360 Studio you get lower quality of the final result than starting with an .insv file.

So why should a Windows PC user who has not yet purchased a MAX do all this harm himself? The only point in favor of MAX compared to the One R is the audio quality: unfortunately, however, the 360 audio is not usable (with the current GoPro software). I know you can export 360 audio using FFMPEG etc etc, but it is not easy for all users to do it.

Highlighted
Nomad

if cineform is owned bu gopro.

Why comes there is no download link ??

Yes, there several forks, but hell, who knows whats in it, and if it is compatible.

as for video's , by now, i created a 4K H264 profile with the highest bitrate my editor supports, that is 65000 kbits.

I use that as templete to work in, and yes, the outcome is a huge file,  but if it is compareable as a cineform 5.7K quality, i dont know, i guess not.

Highlighted
Explorer

@pixelnator360 

GoPro no longer owns Cineform.  As I stated earlier, they released to to opensource.  

You will get the same, if not sometimes better, results just reframing and outputting with the GoPro Mobile app.  Most likely it will look better than reframing 4K 360 as that would reult in a 720p viewable angle vs, 1080p which you get from 5.7K or the GoPro mobile app.