Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Nomad

Export to H264 - 5.6K ?

All,

I am using the GoPro exporter software and to me it really works well.

However I have a maybe technical question........Is it possible to also export a .360 file from the GoPro Max,

and choose H264 and select the button 5.6K?

So far I can choose the 5.6K only when also selecting the "cineform" codec.

Maybe H264 or HEVC can't go higher than 4K in the real world (I could not find the limits on the web).

So maybe somebody can shine some lights over the technical possibilities and if H264 or HEVC could increase also to 5.6K?

Or is it technically possible, and is GoPro working on the next version of the Exporter so that the 5.6K can be selected for H264?

appreciate the feedback

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Export to H264 - 5.6K ?

Hello @wiljan5560. The GoPro MAX Exporter is unable to render 360 MAX files using HEVC or H264 with 5.6K as the selected resolution. Only Cineform codec can export with 5.6K. 

Highlighted
Hiker

Rif.: Export to H264 - 5.6K ?

Hi wiljan5560,

I don't think the export limit is due to H264 or H265: the Insta360 Studio 2019 can export files up to 5760x2880 (therefore 5.7K) in H264 or H265 up to bitrates of 200 Mbps.

So technically it is possible to do it.

Maybe it's a company choice to encourage the use of "cineform" (Apple) at the expense of the more popular H264.

Highlighted
Nomad

Thanks for the reply.....

Can you inform if GoPro is working on a newer update of the Exporter software to enable the export of 5.6K in H264?

regards

Highlighted
Hiker

@wiljan5560  ha scritto:

Can you inform if GoPro is working on a newer update of the Exporter software to enable the export of 5.6K in H264?

As for this post, I wanted to tell you that a movie created with the Insta360 One R camera and exported with Insta360 Studio allows the export of the video in 360° in the MP4 format with H264 or H265 compression up to the resolution of 5760x2880.

I know it doesn't help you, since you have a GoPro MAX, but I just wanted to let you know how it works elsewhere.

How sad to realize that GoPro particularly loves using it with Apple! Proof of this is the fact that they FIRST create the software for Apple with many beautiful functions and subsequently (if they have the time) they also do it for Windows (but probably not with the same functions as the one for Apple).

Instead you should take a positive example of what they do at Insta360: their software "Insta360 Studio" has the same functions on both Windows and Apple and is published on the same day for both: see here.

Make your own conclusions.....

Highlighted
Explorer

@andreac13446 

Cineform ISN'T Apple! Apple uses ProRes 422. Normally I'd let this go, but you've now posted this misinformation twice. Are you a conspiracy believer or just someone who likes to create them?

Some more facts:

• Man DID land on the moon
  • COVID-19 IS a real thing
  • The earth is NOT flat
  • GoPro Does try to provide the best experience for their customers, no matter what OS their computer uses (and they are working on a new desktop app to address the needs and request of Windows users).
Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

@danielr15  ha scritto:

Cineform ISN'T Apple! Apple uses ProRes 422. Normally I'd let this go, but you've now posted this misinformation twice. Are you a conspiracy believer or just someone who likes to create them?

@danielr15  No, no I'm not a conspiracy believer! Smiley Very Happy

You are right: the "Cineform" is not from Apple but was invented by GoPro. I was deceived by the fact that to open that format on my PC I had to install Quicktime (which as you will know is from Apple).

In any case, my last statement does not change: I am referring to the real situation of the software for the MAX.

Explain to me why since MAX came out on the market (at least 5 months ago) the software for reframe is only available for Apple? Why was parallel development of the two versions not possible? Why has the Apple version been given priority? However, all this has already been discussed in other posts and I would not like to repeat.

It seems to me more correct the way of operating that Insta360 had: from the day of the release of "One R" software was available for both Mac and Windows, with the same functions. They did not give preference to one or the other: they only waited to have everything ready to satisfy all customers.

That's all, mine is only the vision of the events.

Highlighted
Hiker

@danielr15 

Yes, you're right: "Cineform" was invented by GoPro. I was misled because to edit those types of files on my PC I had to install QuickTime (which, as you know, is from Apple).

As for my statement, I can assure you that I'm not a "conspiracy believer". Smiley Very Happy

I rely on the reality of the functions of the two different software for Apple or for Windows that are available for MAX.

This theme had already been addressed in other posts, and I don't want to repeat. But you have to admit that a preference was made when they decided which users should get the reframing software before the others. And you have to admit that some PC users are very upset about this choice (me first).