Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

So I tested the new firmware today and this is what I found:

Positives

+ they definitely tweaked something in regards to noise reduction, 1080p quality looks better, noise reduction is not so strong or is better managed but it's still not on par with Hero 6 black in my opinion but nevertheles it is at least usable now. Timewarp in 1080p it's miles better and here it's were you will see better compression and detail;

+ navigating through menus it's definitely improved by a long shot;

+ hypersmooth is better in low light but at a cost of being less effective, I am curious how it performs on a forest trail where lot's of mountain bikers where complaining on this issue (here it's where a minimum shutter speed would be handy);

+ slow panning shots are possible now but I would not say they are completly eradicated. Sometimes the algorithm fails and you see the hiccup altough not as jarring as in the previous firmware. But when it works it works.

Negatives

- it happened twice that the camera won't start when pressing the on button, and I was forced to pull off the battery to make it work again. I will keep an eye and see if it's something that happens regularly.

- in livestreaming using phone hotspot, I saw a more compressed image on uploaded footage on facebook and an occasional intreruption but it could be a problem on my end with the signal, got to test it further.

- navigating through menus, altough much improved, I have encountered a freeze in scrooling, it would not scrooll trying to change protune settings. This happened once.

I think this is a pretty good update but they definitely should not stop here. More tweaking on 1080p quality and a selection of stabilization levels on all resolution (Hypersmooth, Hero 6 stabilization and off) should be taken in consideration in the next update in my opinion. And also they should really implement a minimum shutter speed setting.

NOTE: I have manually updated and did a full reset.

Hiker

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

Just updated my 2 hero7 black camera's. 

Will test them hopefully soon.

GoPro

Hi everyone,

Keep us posted for updates. 

@andreis40011 thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

-Jay

Tourist

[ Edited ]

I got a replacement two batteries from Duracell, this is not a cheap Chinese product. Bought batteries behave very strange, they charging often by "steps"  for example I'm cconnecting the cable, camera is on, starting from 15% and then nothing, nothing  nothing, the percentage  on the screen don't move (the charging indicator is there), I turn off the camera, charging is processing for 15-20 min and then I turn on the camera and boooom - the percentage skips rapidly for example 35-67-88-100 and the charging is stop.

The second issue I have with this battery is they losing charge when camera is off (everything is off like voice  GPS, ect) . But they losing also by "steps" - I'm turning on the fully charged camera, there is for a moment 100% and boooom  drop in steps for example 100-92-83-75 and stop.

Anyone have that issue? Maybe previous generation have similar issues? 

Explorer

@ricko11 wrote:

I got a replacement two batteries from Duracell

???

Explorer

Use GoPro batteries, not 3rd party. Not only will it not void your warranty, trouble shooting will be more accurate.
Hiker

So the thing when pressing the on button doesn't turn on just happened again so it's definitely a bug. Also I don't remeber what battery percentage I had (80% I guess) but I suspect It discharged to about 34% overnight with voice commands, wifi, gps deactivated. Anybody has the previous firmware cause I am reverting back.

Hiker

So I found the 1.51 firmware and did a quick test comparing footage on 1080p quality.

- can't see a real difference, guess my mind really want it to see something it wasn't there, but 1080p timewarp still seem better, gotta do more testing on that.