Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

@mariustanya wrote:

Appreciate you sharing details of the results of your test, @andreis40011. Great to know that you observed better HyperSmooth performance in low light situations and in panning . There is good information here on getting the best shot with your HERO7 Black when in low light situations. I see that you reverted to firmware 1.51 . By any chance, would you have results to show that there is a significant difference in battery drain percentage with it as compared to the latest firmware?

@dennobundyand @konstantin30287, considering that you are already using one of the recommended cards on this list, please see if performing a full format on it like how @danielr15 suggested above would help with the freezing issue. Let us know how it works out. 

@bansheerider1, is your camera already updated to the latest firmware? Are you using a recommended SD card? Does the camera itself play the videos fine? 

We'd love to hear back from you. Thanks!

Hi @mariustanya

So as I said, there is an average of at least 5% battery drain over a period of about 8 hours. I tested this leaving it overnight and when I got back from work, always checking and taking notes, alternating between different batteries, charged batteries in camera, approved sd cards and corectly formated, and all thing that could potentially drain the battery shut off. At one time, it discharged to 0% from about 60% or so overnight. When I switched back to 1.51 I did the same things and there is no battery drain - the battery is at the same level as I left it, maybe sometimes imediatly after oppening the camera it will drop 1% but neverthless, it can hold the charge. I assume something doesn't shut off properly when closed. Altough pannig and low light image quality are very good and necessary fixes, one thing that did not get fixed was 1080p quality wich is really important to me and I asume for many other people. I tend to believe that it's more a matter of compression because of hypersmooth than noise reduction because I have recently discovered that if I turn hypersmooth off in 1080p, the image is better in terms of detail retention and compression artifacts and comparable in quality to Hero 6 with stabilization and even liniar on.

For the other people which have problems with GoPro not turning on and freezing menu, follow the steps danielr15 gave to me at the beginning of this topic (page 2 I guess). For me it fixed it.

GoPro

Thank you, @andreis40011. We will keep you posted (or this post updated) once we hear back from the team. 

Tourist

And also i ordered the gopro supercharger... When camera is off i plugin the cable and it starts up instead of charging... If I shut it down it will shutdown and then start up again... I must have had the bad luck with a dodgy unit?
GoPro

That is odd, @rikardj680. If the behavior is still the same even after manually updating the camera, let our Support team know. You may reach them by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Highlighted
Tourist

Is GoPro gonna push out another firmware update? It's starting to feel like the end users are the beta testers here. I'm still experiencing the freezing of the camera, along with the Quick Capture button and the Power/Mode Button not working at times. I have to pull the battery out to resolve that issue when it does happen. 

GoPro

There is no information on another firmware at this time, @sinbad683. We are reporting these observations to the team so they can replicate and look into the possible cause. We appreciate you all providing us feedback. Best regards!

Tourist

Yes the behavior is the same after update. I have manually updated 2 times and sdcard format and system reset 7 times...
Tourist

@mariustanya Cool! Yea I already got in touch with GoPro Support via the Chat. Very helpful chat. Their recommendation for me is that if the problems persist, I should send back the camera for a replacement. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that. I just did another Factory Reset, first time ever since updating to 1.61. I don't wanna be without a camera for a long time. LOL.