Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Reply
Hiker
Posts: 90

Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

So I tested the new firmware today and this is what I found:

Positives

+ they definitely tweaked something in regards to noise reduction, 1080p quality looks better, noise reduction is not so strong or is better managed but it's still not on par with Hero 6 black in my opinion but nevertheles it is at least usable now. Timewarp in 1080p it's miles better and here it's were you will see better compression and detail;

+ navigating through menus it's definitely improved by a long shot;

+ hypersmooth is better in low light but at a cost of being less effective, I am curious how it performs on a forest trail where lot's of mountain bikers where complaining on this issue (here it's where a minimum shutter speed would be handy);

+ slow panning shots are possible now but I would not say they are completly eradicated. Sometimes the algorithm fails and you see the hiccup altough not as jarring as in the previous firmware. But when it works it works.

 

Negatives

- it happened twice that the camera won't start when pressing the on button, and I was forced to pull off the battery to make it work again. I will keep an eye and see if it's something that happens regularly.

- in livestreaming using phone hotspot, I saw a more compressed image on uploaded footage on facebook and an occasional intreruption but it could be a problem on my end with the signal, got to test it further.

- navigating through menus, altough much improved, I have encountered a freeze in scrooling, it would not scrooll trying to change protune settings. This happened once.

 

I think this is a pretty good update but they definitely should not stop here. More tweaking on 1080p quality and a selection of stabilization levels on all resolution (Hypersmooth, Hero 6 stabilization and off) should be taken in consideration in the next update in my opinion. And also they should really implement a minimum shutter speed setting.

 

NOTE: I have manually updated and did a full reset.

Nomad
Posts: 109

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

Just updated my 2 hero7 black camera's. 

Will test them hopefully soon.

 

GoPro
Posts: 6,097

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

Hi everyone,

 

Keep us posted for updates. 

 

@andreis40011 thanks for the feedback.

 

 

Regards,

-Jay

Tourist
Posts: 3

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

I got a replacement two batteries from Duracell, this is not a cheap Chinese product. Bought batteries behave very strange, they charging often by "steps"  for example I'm cconnecting the cable, camera is on, starting from 15% and then nothing, nothing  nothing, the percentage  on the screen don't move (the charging indicator is there), I turn off the camera, charging is processing for 15-20 min and then I turn on the camera and boooom - the percentage skips rapidly for example 35-67-88-100 and the charging is stop.

 

The second issue I have with this battery is they losing charge when camera is off (everything is off like voice  GPS, ect) . But they losing also by "steps" - I'm turning on the fully charged camera, there is for a moment 100% and boooom  drop in steps for example 100-92-83-75 and stop.

 

Anyone have that issue? Maybe previous generation have similar issues? 

Explorer
Posts: 13,055

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

@ricko11 wrote:

I got a replacement two batteries from Duracell

 


???

Explorer
Posts: 13,055

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]
Use GoPro batteries, not 3rd party. Not only will it not void your warranty, trouble shooting will be more accurate.
Hiker
Posts: 90

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

So the thing when pressing the on button doesn't turn on just happened again so it's definitely a bug. Also I don't remeber what battery percentage I had (80% I guess) but I suspect It discharged to about 34% overnight with voice commands, wifi, gps deactivated. Anybody has the previous firmware cause I am reverting back.

Hiker
Posts: 90

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

So I found the 1.51 firmware and did a quick test comparing footage on 1080p quality.

- can't see a real difference, guess my mind really want it to see something it wasn't there, but 1080p timewarp still seem better, gotta do more testing on that.

Explorer
Posts: 13,055

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]
@andreis40011
Probably safe to assume you are using a recommended SD card, right?
https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

Have you tested the battery with a different card on the list?

Also, perform a FULL format of your card in your computer before installing the 1.61 firmware a second time. Once done, format the SD card in the camera and do a factory reset.
Hiker
Posts: 90

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

@danielr15 wrote:
@andreis40011
Probably safe to assume you are using a recommended SD card, right?
https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

Have you tested the battery with a different card on the list?

Also, perform a FULL format of your card in your computer before installing the 1.61 firmware a second time. Once done, format the SD card in the camera and do a factory reset.

Yes, I am using a 64 gb sandisk extreme. I will try a full format as you said before installing.

Tourist
Posts: 9

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

My experience is the same as the OP. + I see no difference with conectivity, therefore my opinion on both the mobile and pc apps remain the same, which is junk status. There is room for much more improvement with the firmware AND the accompanying apps.

 

Happy filming ;-)

Explorer
Posts: 13,055

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

@agilepike07081

What connectivity issues are you having?  Both my son and I use our HERO7 Black with the GoPro Mobile App and Quik for mobile without issues.  IMO, QuikStory is fantastic.  I'm able to go out shooting vids and photos and by the time I'm home a video has been automatically created for me.  I use a LG v30 and my son has an iPhone 6s Plus.  No issues for either of us.  Samsung phones have issues related to the poor video decoder Samsung uses, and unfortunately Android phones are not universal with video decoders so there are undoubtedly other phones that have issues as well, so perhaps this is where you are having issues? As I understand it, GoPro is trying to rebuild the mobile app to be less dependent on these decoders, but obviously that is considerable work as Quik was created and developed by a seperate company that GoPro purchased.  Since the app was originally designed for iOS only, there is considerable work to be done for Android, especially with Androids fragmented system and custom skins companies put on it.

 

For the Quik Desktop app, I hardly if ever use it.  I do for importing and uploading to the GoPro Plus Cloud, but the video creation is too limited and laggy for me.  With the Quik Mobile app being so much more flexible and feature rich, I really don't see a reason to use the Desktop app.  Of course, for more advanced video editing on the computer I use a proper video editor.  With so many free options, I think GoPro should just stop trying to create a desktop editor.  It's a waste of resources and most people have no need for it.  Let them focus on what they do, build cameras, and let the software companies handle software. Perhaps GoPro could incorporate a linear video editor into GoPro Plus for online editing. Other than that, it's pretty much covered with the Quik Mobile app and other free (and paid) 3rd party editors.

Nomad
Posts: 648

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

In general:

 

* Use gimbal for low light shoots.

 

* Turn off hypersmooth for panning shoots (use gimbal, tripod with appropriate video head or hold a very steady hand).

 

* For high ISO low light shooting with GoPro in general use a Hero4 (Black/silver). Noise reduction on the newer units really destroys the shoots if use with ISO 1600 , ISO 3200, etc. Hero4 is actually much cleaner looking in low light. Combine it with a gimbal for shake free footage.

 

Espen

 

Tourist
Posts: 1

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]
Just tested solely on length of video/battery usage, and over heating.

Freshly formatted 128GB Samsung EVO Select, camera updated to 1.61 via phone app.

Brand new battery, never used, fully charged to 100% via GoPro dual charger.

Recording 4K/60ps, Used HEVC encoding. LED's on bright. Nothing else on. Recorded 1hr 6m before battery died. Used 28.8GB of space for the video/th files.

Didn't shut down to over heating, but it was pretty hot to be honest. I could hold it in my hand just fine, but touching an class more than 10 seconds would burn you. The camera housing was close to that level.

This is a brand new camera, only about 20 mins of use before this test.
Hiker
Posts: 26

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

They made higher RTMP livestream bitrate when you go live in 480p. So now it requires minimum 4 Mbit/s internet connection hotspot. Audio bitrate still too high. We need more flexible livestream settings! Let us choose bitrate of the video, audio instead of choosing only resolution setting.

Explorer
Posts: 13,055

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]
@f34r
Glad to hear your camera is working correctly. Heat, especially at 4K/60fps is normal. There are cameras that cost three times as much and aren't waterproof that can only film for 10-15 minutes before stopping the recording or shutting down at that resolution/frame rate. 1 hour 6 minutes without overheating is pretty impressive. If the camera does get too hot though, don't worry, it will shut itself off as intended.
Nomad
Posts: 109

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

@jayr3438 

Did a short test in lower light conditions with the new firmware.

Compared with my hero6.

Conclusion:

- The panning issue is still there, when you start panning, the image jumps for about two or three times, the rest of the panning is pretty smooth.

- The hypersmooth stabilisation in lower light looks better, but not perfect ( image is better then the hero6 black)

 

Compared to the hero 6 black in lower light with FW1.61: the hero 7 is much much sharper and the color is way better. The panning on the 6 is better but still the hero 7 produces a much better image if you forget the jumps.

Overall, the hero 7 is a better camera then the 6.

 

But: for both camera's ( hero 6 and 7) I suggest to use the karma grip in lower light ( electronic stabilisation is then turned off), this gives the best results then

 

For the next FW upgrade I already posted and send my concerns and remarks.

Hope they will do something with it

 

Happy with the 7

greets

GoPro
Posts: 6,097

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

Thanks @foggybeach8632,

 

We appreciate it. 

 

 

-Jay 

Tourist
Posts: 3

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]
 
Explorer
Posts: 13,055

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

@99saleen87

Maybe it was intentional, but you didn't write anything that we can see.  Just FYI.

Tourist
Posts: 9

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

Connectivity: Desktop app just crashes without warning. Mobile app often takes two or three goes to see the camera.

 

I take you point about the desktop app. I use premiere as standard. However, I would find it useful if the mobile app would work better as I like to use the telemetary.

 

To your final comment, that's why abobe do not build cameras.

 

Happy shooting :-)

Tourist
Posts: 3

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]
Lol right. Man it’s sad to hear you all have few problems with the camera or the fw. Well I just updated to 1.61 and now I do get a 100% battery charge as where before the update I didn’t. Now that was pretty much the only concern I had, to the point of almost taking it back to the store for exchange, but now I’m a happy goproer.
Hiker
Posts: 48

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

I suspect they "fixed" the battery percentage not reaching 100% issue, by simply lowering the voltage at which

it reports 100%.   In other words, it now reports 100% when the battery is really at 96% or above and then scales down from there. 

I had noticed this myself because before the update my battery was reporting abot 98%, did the update (which takes

a while and should burn some more juice), and immediatley after the update it reported battery at 100%.    (was not plugged in)

 

The slow panning definitely is better.

They fixed the red line running down the middle of the image in 2.7K@30fps Superview with stabilization off (a mode used by FPV race/freestyle drone pilots).   

Connectivity is about the same (usually issues here revolve around my phone not prioritizing the GoPro wifi over

any other local Wifi network, so it tends to work better in the field, and poor or not at all at home). 

Still can't see battey life remaining while recording.

Still can use any voice commands from playback mode.

 

 

 

Tourist
Posts: 9

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

Slightly off-topic. But, an update for the android app came through yesterday. 1st impressions are that it is more stable than before (improved conectivity). So that's good news.

 

Happy mobile editing!  ;-)

 

PS Just out of curiosity, does anyone know where of how the app stores freshly downloaded video? cant find it unless i save it as an edit or something from the app.

Explorer
Posts: 13,055

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

@agilepike07081

If the app auto downloads the media ("Looks like you have new media...", or you pull down to retrieve) the media gets saved temporarily in the RECENT section.  It can be confusing since if you initiate a download (through the gallery) it does not show under the RECENT tab, but where your other media is located (where ever you placed it on your phone).  Is that what you are asking?

Tourist
Posts: 9

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

OK, thanks for that. If I download automaticaly, I cannot find anything in the phones file manager until I save it to the recent tab. At that point everything is visable to the file manager.

 

Cheers.

Tourist
Posts: 14

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

Yep I've experienced one of the negatives where the camera won't turn on either via Power Mode Button or by Quick Capture. I've had this issue ever since I got the camera, even with the previous firmware update. I even manually updated my GoPro 7 Black. It's random. I dunno if it's because the camera gets hot under the sun or what, I have no idea. I mostly use my gopro for Motovlogging on my motorcycle. But it's random. I've had it not turn on via Quick Capture or the Power Mode Button once, and I was also forced to remove the battery and place it back in to power it on. 

C'mon Gopro please fix this. 

Adventurer
Posts: 14,087

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

Yeah I charged my H6B from 93% and My H7B 98% who  won H6B b/c H7B led stayed on  never knowing it was already finished and off.  Random,  happens a little moret hen random.

Hiker
Posts: 32

Betreff: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]
2 Times today Camera didnt reacting to anything ... Frozen completly ... only put the battery out was helping .. this sucks ...
Adventurer
Posts: 14,087

Betreff: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

Yes learning that the led is gopros issue I jsut unplug when I think I am near.

Hiker
Posts: 90

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

@andreis40011 wrote:

So I tested the new firmware today and this is what I found:

Positives

+ they definitely tweaked something in regards to noise reduction, 1080p quality looks better, noise reduction is not so strong or is better managed but it's still not on par with Hero 6 black in my opinion but nevertheles it is at least usable now. Timewarp in 1080p it's miles better and here it's were you will see better compression and detail;

+ navigating through menus it's definitely improved by a long shot;

+ hypersmooth is better in low light but at a cost of being less effective, I am curious how it performs on a forest trail where lot's of mountain bikers where complaining on this issue (here it's where a minimum shutter speed would be handy);

+ slow panning shots are possible now but I would not say they are completly eradicated. Sometimes the algorithm fails and you see the hiccup altough not as jarring as in the previous firmware. But when it works it works.

 

Negatives

- it happened twice that the camera won't start when pressing the on button, and I was forced to pull off the battery to make it work again. I will keep an eye and see if it's something that happens regularly.

- in livestreaming using phone hotspot, I saw a more compressed image on uploaded footage on facebook and an occasional intreruption but it could be a problem on my end with the signal, got to test it further.

- navigating through menus, altough much improved, I have encountered a freeze in scrooling, it would not scrooll trying to change protune settings. This happened once.

 

I think this is a pretty good update but they definitely should not stop here. More tweaking on 1080p quality and a selection of stabilization levels on all resolution (Hypersmooth, Hero 6 stabilization and off) should be taken in consideration in the next update in my opinion. And also they should really implement a minimum shutter speed setting.

 

NOTE: I have manually updated and did a full reset.


So I feel I should give an update after a more extensive testing:

- 1080p quality doesn't seem to have changed in any significant way over the previous frmware. Hero 6 better handles detail at this resolution. Timewarp in 1080 still to me looks better, offering a better compression since the previous firmware. One note I should add is that the last time I have tested 1080p timewarp was in summer and I know small cameras have a more hard time compresing foliage. Now is full time winter and maybe that is why to me it seems better.

- After listening to advice from danielr (full format my card->manually update camera->format card in camera->full reset) the problem of device not turning on never appeared again so this advice should be sticked somewhere around here to be available always. Also I have not experienced freezing in menus again.

- live streaming is ok but, there is a "problem" wich I don't remenber the previous firmware had because I never used it that much: at the 2 or 3 second mark, there is always a 1 or 2 second stutter (no matter if I use phone hotspot or wireless router connection). After this initial stutter everything works fine and the quality is as I expect it to be.

- There seems to be some battery drain even with connections, gps, voice control, quick record off. I would say an average of 5% overnight. But it doesn't alwas manifest. I must note that I have 3 original batteries wich I constantly rotate so can't say if one is faulty, but I don't remember having observed this with the previous firmware. Sometimes it doesn't drain at all, sometimes overnight it drains 5%-10% and if I check again later in the day it seems to not drain further or it drains like 1%. I will do more testing without the card, the same battery and with no battery in over night over a longer period of time. I also have the dual charger and I am in the habbit of charging them this way instead of the camera. I will only charge the batteries using the camera over a period of time since I suspect the firmware needs to calibrate itself.

 

So I am partially happy of this update, I'm definitely glad that they somehow made panning better and hypersmooth in low light better too, but my biggest gripe with this camera was the 1080p quality which is not fixed. Hope the battery drain is someting that will resolve itself.

Tourist
Posts: 6

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]
I started a thread but my new H7 Black rear LCD flickers and I can’t playback 4K video as I get a gray choppy screen in VLC Player.
Adventurer
Posts: 14,087

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

last night  again a blurred shot with  the cam again and going to have to see  in the shots I took at day time as well to rule out soft focus.  Knowing low light and having Hypersmooth on  is part not all of the issue.    the slightest mistake becomes the greatest issue.  for people.  Lol.

 

FISH

Hiker
Posts: 90

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

@andreis40011 wrote:

@andreis40011 wrote:

So I tested the new firmware today and this is what I found:

Positives

+ they definitely tweaked something in regards to noise reduction, 1080p quality looks better, noise reduction is not so strong or is better managed but it's still not on par with Hero 6 black in my opinion but nevertheles it is at least usable now. Timewarp in 1080p it's miles better and here it's were you will see better compression and detail;

+ navigating through menus it's definitely improved by a long shot;

+ hypersmooth is better in low light but at a cost of being less effective, I am curious how it performs on a forest trail where lot's of mountain bikers where complaining on this issue (here it's where a minimum shutter speed would be handy);

+ slow panning shots are possible now but I would not say they are completly eradicated. Sometimes the algorithm fails and you see the hiccup altough not as jarring as in the previous firmware. But when it works it works.

 

Negatives

- it happened twice that the camera won't start when pressing the on button, and I was forced to pull off the battery to make it work again. I will keep an eye and see if it's something that happens regularly.

- in livestreaming using phone hotspot, I saw a more compressed image on uploaded footage on facebook and an occasional intreruption but it could be a problem on my end with the signal, got to test it further.

- navigating through menus, altough much improved, I have encountered a freeze in scrooling, it would not scrooll trying to change protune settings. This happened once.

 

I think this is a pretty good update but they definitely should not stop here. More tweaking on 1080p quality and a selection of stabilization levels on all resolution (Hypersmooth, Hero 6 stabilization and off) should be taken in consideration in the next update in my opinion. And also they should really implement a minimum shutter speed setting.

 

NOTE: I have manually updated and did a full reset.


So I feel I should give an update after a more extensive testing:

- 1080p quality doesn't seem to have changed in any significant way over the previous frmware. Hero 6 better handles detail at this resolution. Timewarp in 1080 still to me looks better, offering a better compression since the previous firmware. One note I should add is that the last time I have tested 1080p timewarp was in summer and I know small cameras have a more hard time compresing foliage. Now is full time winter and maybe that is why to me it seems better.

- After listening to advice from danielr (full format my card->manually update camera->format card in camera->full reset) the problem of device not turning on never appeared again so this advice should be sticked somewhere around here to be available always. Also I have not experienced freezing in menus again.

- live streaming is ok but, there is a "problem" wich I don't remenber the previous firmware had because I never used it that much: at the 2 or 3 second mark, there is always a 1 or 2 second stutter (no matter if I use phone hotspot or wireless router connection). After this initial stutter everything works fine and the quality is as I expect it to be.

- There seems to be some battery drain even with connections, gps, voice control, quick record off. I would say an average of 5% overnight. But it doesn't alwas manifest. I must note that I have 3 original batteries wich I constantly rotate so can't say if one is faulty, but I don't remember having observed this with the previous firmware. Sometimes it doesn't drain at all, sometimes overnight it drains 5%-10% and if I check again later in the day it seems to not drain further or it drains like 1%. I will do more testing without the card, the same battery and with no battery in over night over a longer period of time. I also have the dual charger and I am in the habbit of charging them this way instead of the camera. I will only charge the batteries using the camera over a period of time since I suspect the firmware needs to calibrate itself.

 

So I am partially happy of this update, I'm definitely glad that they somehow made panning better and hypersmooth in low light better too, but my biggest gripe with this camera was the 1080p quality which is not fixed. Hope the battery drain is someting that will resolve itself.


Done testing the battery drain issue and I can confirm a slow, abnormal battery drain with the new firmware. Switched back to 1.51 firmware and the battery drain dissapeared.

Nomad
Posts: 648

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

It's sad to see that Gopro can still not make a fully functional firmware.

 

Hiker
Posts: 32

Betreff: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]
Right ... my cam often stucks and freeze and i had to put the battery off.. this sucks really
Hiker
Posts: 13

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]
I had the same problems yesterday twice with my Hero7!
The camera won't start when pressing the on button, and I was forced to pull off the battery to make it work again!
I have encountered a freeze in scrolling. This happend twice!
GoPro
Posts: 20,465

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

Appreciate you sharing details of the results of your test, @andreis40011. Great to know that you observed better HyperSmooth performance in low light situations and in panning . There is good information here on getting the best shot with your HERO7 Black when in low light situations. I see that you reverted to firmware 1.51 . By any chance, would you have results to show that there is a significant difference in battery drain percentage with it as compared to the latest firmware?

 

@dennobundy and @konstantin30287, considering that you are already using one of the recommended cards on this list, please see if performing a full format on it like how @danielr15 suggested above would help with the freezing issue. Let us know how it works out. 

 

@bansheerider1, is your camera already updated to the latest firmware? Are you using a recommended SD card? Does the camera itself play the videos fine? 

 

We'd love to hear back from you. Thanks!

Hiker
Posts: 32

Betreff: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]
Sure sd Card comes from GoPro bundle ... all formated and cam reset... no help .. its a joke a cam that costs 400€ with so buggy firmware
Tourist
Posts: 5

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]
I had issues with freezing and bought a SanDisk extreme pro 64 gb card instead. The old one was supported but perhaps it's just old and torn now.

The most annoying thing now is whenever I stop my recording the screen just slides to another video mode..annoying but not a huge issue.

Also when I press record I see on the lcd that the camera puts hilight automatically every second...

I have owned this camera one day and pretty much it's unusable...wtf gopro?
Hiker
Posts: 90

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

@mariustanya wrote:

Appreciate you sharing details of the results of your test, @andreis40011. Great to know that you observed better HyperSmooth performance in low light situations and in panning . There is good information here on getting the best shot with your HERO7 Black when in low light situations. I see that you reverted to firmware 1.51 . By any chance, would you have results to show that there is a significant difference in battery drain percentage with it as compared to the latest firmware?

 

@dennobundyand @konstantin30287, considering that you are already using one of the recommended cards on this list, please see if performing a full format on it like how @danielr15 suggested above would help with the freezing issue. Let us know how it works out. 

 

@bansheerider1, is your camera already updated to the latest firmware? Are you using a recommended SD card? Does the camera itself play the videos fine? 

 

We'd love to hear back from you. Thanks!


Hi @mariustanya

So as I said, there is an average of at least 5% battery drain over a period of about 8 hours. I tested this leaving it overnight and when I got back from work, always checking and taking notes, alternating between different batteries, charged batteries in camera, approved sd cards and corectly formated, and all thing that could potentially drain the battery shut off. At one time, it discharged to 0% from about 60% or so overnight. When I switched back to 1.51 I did the same things and there is no battery drain - the battery is at the same level as I left it, maybe sometimes imediatly after oppening the camera it will drop 1% but neverthless, it can hold the charge. I assume something doesn't shut off properly when closed. Altough pannig and low light image quality are very good and necessary fixes, one thing that did not get fixed was 1080p quality wich is really important to me and I asume for many other people. I tend to believe that it's more a matter of compression because of hypersmooth than noise reduction because I have recently discovered that if I turn hypersmooth off in 1080p, the image is better in terms of detail retention and compression artifacts and comparable in quality to Hero 6 with stabilization and even liniar on.

 

For the other people which have problems with GoPro not turning on and freezing menu, follow the steps danielr15 gave to me at the beginning of this topic (page 2 I guess). For me it fixed it.

GoPro
Posts: 20,465

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

Thank you, @andreis40011. We will keep you posted (or this post updated) once we hear back from the team. 

Tourist
Posts: 5

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]
And also i ordered the gopro supercharger... When camera is off i plugin the cable and it starts up instead of charging... If I shut it down it will shutdown and then start up again... I must have had the bad luck with a dodgy unit?
GoPro
Posts: 20,465

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

That is odd, @rikardjerner. If the behavior is still the same even after manually updating the camera, let our Support team know. You may reach them by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Tourist
Posts: 14

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

Is GoPro gonna push out another firmware update? It's starting to feel like the end users are the beta testers here. I'm still experiencing the freezing of the camera, along with the Quick Capture button and the Power/Mode Button not working at times. I have to pull the battery out to resolve that issue when it does happen. 

GoPro
Posts: 20,465

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

There is no information on another firmware at this time, @sinbad683. We are reporting these observations to the team so they can replicate and look into the possible cause. We appreciate you all providing us feedback. Best regards!

Tourist
Posts: 5

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]
Yes the behavior is the same after update. I have manually updated 2 times and sdcard format and system reset 7 times...
Tourist
Posts: 14

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

@mariustanya Cool! Yea I already got in touch with GoPro Support via the Chat. Very helpful chat. Their recommendation for me is that if the problems persist, I should send back the camera for a replacement. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that. I just did another Factory Reset, first time ever since updating to 1.61. I don't wanna be without a camera for a long time. LOL. 

Tourist
Posts: 5

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]
I was just wondering about another thing..if i connect my gopro supercharger...a mobile charger..or directly to the laptop the camera always power on ie I can't charge it shutdown..is it supposed to be like that?
GoPro
Posts: 20,465

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

[ New ]

Good to know, @sinbad683

 

@rikardjerner As long as you do not turn the camera on manually, the camera should stay off with only the red LEDs on to indicate charging.