Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Experience so far with the 1.61 firmware

@andreis40011
Probably safe to assume you are using a recommended SD card, right?
https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

Have you tested the battery with a different card on the list?

Also, perform a FULL format of your card in your computer before installing the 1.61 firmware a second time. Once done, format the SD card in the camera and do a factory reset.
Highlighted
Hiker

@danielr15 wrote:
@andreis40011
Probably safe to assume you are using a recommended SD card, right?
https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

Have you tested the battery with a different card on the list?

Also, perform a FULL format of your card in your computer before installing the 1.61 firmware a second time. Once done, format the SD card in the camera and do a factory reset.

Yes, I am using a 64 gb sandisk extreme. I will try a full format as you said before installing.

Highlighted
Tourist

My experience is the same as the OP. + I see no difference with conectivity, therefore my opinion on both the mobile and pc apps remain the same, which is junk status. There is room for much more improvement with the firmware AND the accompanying apps.

Happy filming ;-)

Highlighted
Explorer

@agilepike07081

What connectivity issues are you having?  Both my son and I use our HERO7 Black with the GoPro Mobile App and Quik for mobile without issues.  IMO, QuikStory is fantastic.  I'm able to go out shooting vids and photos and by the time I'm home a video has been automatically created for me.  I use a LG v30 and my son has an iPhone 6s Plus.  No issues for either of us.  Samsung phones have issues related to the poor video decoder Samsung uses, and unfortunately Android phones are not universal with video decoders so there are undoubtedly other phones that have issues as well, so perhaps this is where you are having issues? As I understand it, GoPro is trying to rebuild the mobile app to be less dependent on these decoders, but obviously that is considerable work as Quik was created and developed by a seperate company that GoPro purchased.  Since the app was originally designed for iOS only, there is considerable work to be done for Android, especially with Androids fragmented system and custom skins companies put on it.

For the Quik Desktop app, I hardly if ever use it.  I do for importing and uploading to the GoPro Plus Cloud, but the video creation is too limited and laggy for me.  With the Quik Mobile app being so much more flexible and feature rich, I really don't see a reason to use the Desktop app.  Of course, for more advanced video editing on the computer I use a proper video editor.  With so many free options, I think GoPro should just stop trying to create a desktop editor.  It's a waste of resources and most people have no need for it.  Let them focus on what they do, build cameras, and let the software companies handle software. Perhaps GoPro could incorporate a linear video editor into GoPro Plus for online editing. Other than that, it's pretty much covered with the Quik Mobile app and other free (and paid) 3rd party editors.

Highlighted
Nomad

[ Edited ]

In general:

* Use gimbal for low light shoots.

* Turn off hypersmooth for panning shoots (use gimbal, tripod with appropriate video head or hold a very steady hand).

* For high ISO low light shooting with GoPro in general use a Hero4 (Black/silver). Noise reduction on the newer units really destroys the shoots if use with ISO 1600 , ISO 3200, etc. Hero4 is actually much cleaner looking in low light. Combine it with a gimbal for shake free footage.

Espen

Highlighted
Tourist

Just tested solely on length of video/battery usage, and over heating.

Freshly formatted 128GB Samsung EVO Select, camera updated to 1.61 via phone app.

Brand new battery, never used, fully charged to 100% via GoPro dual charger.

Recording 4K/60ps, Used HEVC encoding. LED's on bright. Nothing else on. Recorded 1hr 6m before battery died. Used 28.8GB of space for the video/th files.

Didn't shut down to over heating, but it was pretty hot to be honest. I could hold it in my hand just fine, but touching an class more than 10 seconds would burn you. The camera housing was close to that level.

This is a brand new camera, only about 20 mins of use before this test.
Highlighted
Hiker

They made higher RTMP livestream bitrate when you go live in 480p. So now it requires minimum 4 Mbit/s internet connection hotspot. Audio bitrate still too high. We need more flexible livestream settings! Let us choose bitrate of the video, audio instead of choosing only resolution setting.

Highlighted
Explorer

@f34r
Glad to hear your camera is working correctly. Heat, especially at 4K/60fps is normal. There are cameras that cost three times as much and aren't waterproof that can only film for 10-15 minutes before stopping the recording or shutting down at that resolution/frame rate. 1 hour 6 minutes without overheating is pretty impressive. If the camera does get too hot though, don't worry, it will shut itself off as intended.