Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Editing GoPro Max footage

[ New ]

Hello. What is the ideal PC spec for editing GoPro Max footage

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: Editing GoPro Max footage

[ New ]

Supposedly there is going to be a new desktop app for editing GoPro Max footage, so the exact min specs are not known at this time.

The GoPro Max records in both 360 and "Hero" mode (one lens at 1440p or 1080p). For the Hero mode, you don't really need a very powerful computer. However, for editing 5.6K/30fps spherical media, you most certainly need to have a high performing computer (this also applies to editing 4K footage from the HERO cameras).

You wrote "ideal" so the specs I'm going to give you are what I consider the minimum for comfortably editing 5.6K video. You can certainly beef it up more for better performance, and probably go lower for slower/jerky editing, but still workable.

Processor: you should get an i7-8700 but ideally an i7-9700 (don't skimp on this). i5 is not recommended ad definetely not an i3. i9 will obviously give you great results.

RAM: 8GB DDR4 is usually the min, but I wouldn't go lower than 16GB and ideally you should have 32GB DDR4

GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1070 is just about the lowest you can comfortably use, but the RTX 2060 and 2070 will be much smoother and faster. For the best experience, GTX 1080 ti or even better, RTX 2080 Super. Be sure to download the Creator drivers from NVIDIA (instead of the gamer drivers).

Storage: ONLY use SSD. This has a huge impact on editing video of this size. If you can do RAID 0, go for it. If you absolutely have to go with a Hard Drive, don't go with anything less than 7,200 rpm

View solution in original post

All Replies
Explorer

[ New ]

Supposedly there is going to be a new desktop app for editing GoPro Max footage, so the exact min specs are not known at this time.

The GoPro Max records in both 360 and "Hero" mode (one lens at 1440p or 1080p). For the Hero mode, you don't really need a very powerful computer. However, for editing 5.6K/30fps spherical media, you most certainly need to have a high performing computer (this also applies to editing 4K footage from the HERO cameras).

You wrote "ideal" so the specs I'm going to give you are what I consider the minimum for comfortably editing 5.6K video. You can certainly beef it up more for better performance, and probably go lower for slower/jerky editing, but still workable.

Processor: you should get an i7-8700 but ideally an i7-9700 (don't skimp on this). i5 is not recommended ad definetely not an i3. i9 will obviously give you great results.

RAM: 8GB DDR4 is usually the min, but I wouldn't go lower than 16GB and ideally you should have 32GB DDR4

GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1070 is just about the lowest you can comfortably use, but the RTX 2060 and 2070 will be much smoother and faster. For the best experience, GTX 1080 ti or even better, RTX 2080 Super. Be sure to download the Creator drivers from NVIDIA (instead of the gamer drivers).

Storage: ONLY use SSD. This has a huge impact on editing video of this size. If you can do RAID 0, go for it. If you absolutely have to go with a Hard Drive, don't go with anything less than 7,200 rpm

Tourist

[ New ]

That's really helpful.  Many thanks,