Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Easiest way to transfer files to android or iPhone?

[ New ]
Seems like the only way you can transfer files is by using incredibly slow Bluetooth transfer. I've heard of the quick key but apparently they don't even make those anymore. Trying to load a 20+ minute video calculates at taking well over an hour to transfer. It failed twice about halfway through already.

Seems absurd that you can't just hook your gopro up and transfer since android supports usb transfers.

Doesn't make sense how difficult it is to transfer files off the camera to a different device. What's the point of the camera if it's so difficult to actually get the files off of it?

You can pop the SD card out and put it in your Android phone...but then you can't see the files in the GoPro app.

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: Easiest way to transfer files to android or iPhone?

[ New ]
Via USB C adapter:
Open app
Insert SD into Adapter
Plug adapter into phone
Wait for USB drive to get recognized on phone
Once it does, an icon appears on bottom shelf of app
Select this. If you get a message asking where media is located, navigate to root of new external USB drive (Do Not navigate to any folders).
Once you select drive app will show media
Press the three dots in upper right and choose select
Select your media (you can just select the circle next to date to grab all media from that day). Choose, "Save to app" and media will be transferred to the app on your phone.

Be sure to go into your phone notifications to eject the USB adapter when you are done.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Explorer

[ New ]
The transfer is over WiFi, not Bluetooth. Bluetooth is only used to perform the handshake connection between the two devices. Transfer speed will depend on your device and if you are using 5ghz or 2.4ghz.

You do not specifically need the Quick Key. Any SD adapter with a USB C connector will work. I use this UGREEN SD Card Reader all the time with my Android LG v30 and the GoPro mobile app. Works great.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07D1J88CF/ref=sspa_mw_detail_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Tourist

[ New ]
How do you get the videos to show up in the GoPro app though? It's easy enough to transfer them to my Android phone but it seems like if it doesn't go through the GoPro app you won't be able to view or edit them that way.

Thanks for the response.
Explorer

[ New ]
Via USB C adapter:
Open app
Insert SD into Adapter
Plug adapter into phone
Wait for USB drive to get recognized on phone
Once it does, an icon appears on bottom shelf of app
Select this. If you get a message asking where media is located, navigate to root of new external USB drive (Do Not navigate to any folders).
Once you select drive app will show media
Press the three dots in upper right and choose select
Select your media (you can just select the circle next to date to grab all media from that day). Choose, "Save to app" and media will be transferred to the app on your phone.

Be sure to go into your phone notifications to eject the USB adapter when you are done.
Tourist

[ New ]
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I have an adapter coming in the mail soon so I'll give that a try.

I actually got the wireless transfer to work correctly as well. Not sure what the issue was but I tried again and a 20 minute video took about 4 minutes.
Explorer

[ New ]
Glad to hear the wireless transfer is working out, and I hope the adapter works out for you as well.