Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Dusting off Hero 3+ Black issues

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Dusting off my Hero 3+ black with a new Iphone 11 and I'm not able to connect to this camera through the gopro app via wireless, it repeatedly says it can't connect, asks me to enable wifi (which it's on) and the process repeats. The phone is connected to the broadcasted ssid but it refuses to connect.

I have removed the camera from the app, selected the appropraite camera, ran through the steps of powering on the camera, turning the wifi on, naming the camera, adding the password, connecting to the camera via wifi and I get the same "oops, that didn't work" message and get support is no help and got it does nothing.

(side note, the gopro forum asks that I registered my serial number for my hero 3+ black, but when I add the serial it says it's invalid.. ) Bought new from a local Best Buy so not counterfit)

Anyone ever been able to get this camera to work with an iphone 11, cause it worked just fine with my iphone 7 previously.

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Dusting off Hero 3+ Black issues

Please disregard, I needed to update the application and now it was recognizing my gopro. ( dev's.. perhaps adding a message to prompt users to update or check their latest version would help )
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @boldcreek08452,

Please reset your camera's name and password first. 

Make sure to download the Wi-Fi and Firmware update.

Here's the manual software update instruction: https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/How-to-Reset-the-Camera-s-Wi-Fi-Name-and-Password

After that delete any GoPro device on your phone's bluetooth settings and delete your HERO3 on the GoPro App (If it is listed as paired device)

You should be able to pair it after that. 

-Jay

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately now after doing the above, and purchasing a new battery, my gopro hero3+ is no longer acting like it used to when it did a firmware update.

I have intermittent wifi connectivity, it corrupted two of my 64gb sd cards and last night with a large battery and previously being connected to wifi via my iphone 11 through the gopro app, it refused the entire night to connect at all or even work.

When the unit is off on a fresh battery, I press and hold the wifi button, the lcd screen shows wifi on gopro app enabled for just a second then goes blank; The blue light on the front of the unit flashes twice then off, twice then off repeating. I open my phone, check for a broadcasted ssid, and get nothing.

Now at home on a fresh battery the wifi is intermittent again, and when trying to preview videos, the gopro beeps several times in rapid succession then acts normal again.

The unit was never dropped, in fact it was only used twice when purchased and not subjected to any abuse so I'm leaning towards something being corrupted via this firmware update that was pushed to it via the gopro app.

Has anyone else had this happen, it's somewhat put me off to GoPro now or even looking at a newer model given the connectivity, battery life, software issues. Yet I still persist :) It's just frustrating to have this mounted on your helmet and spending all sorts of time fiddling with wifi/settings, start/stop/restart.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @boldcreek08452,

Please try to update your camera again and make sure to update the firmware and Wi-Fi. 

https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/How-to-Update-GoPro-Cameras

After that make sure that your phone doesn't connect to a wireless network with internet connection. 

Most of the time our phone is looking for Wi-Fi with internet access and that is the reason why GoPro is being disconnected.

Check your phone's settings if you have "Smart Network Switch" turned on, you can turn it off for now just to check if that will solve the problem. 

-Jay

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did download the firmware and wifi update for my particular modal from gopro's website and followed their instructions and re-flashed my unit which went successfully. 

I shut the unit off, re-insterted a new sd card, pressed the wifi button, opened up my phone and again the device is not able to be detected or is not broadcasting a ssid that was specified at the time of the firmware configuration and download from gopro's website.

I tried to manually add the ssid in my iphone 11 but each time and for each security protocol chose, wep, etc, nothing would come up.

The unit powers up, records manually, but will not record or be controlled via wifi now. 

Highlighted
GoPro

Got it @boldcreek08452,

Have you tried turning it on manually.

When I say manually, I mean going to the camera settings and then turn it on from there instead of pressing the Wi-Fi button. 

If that won't work please contact GoPro customer support via chat: https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

You can also request a call back using that link.

-Jay

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks again for the suggestions!

I switched out the wifi manually on the gopro, and it now broadcasted a ssid, however the iphone gopro app said "oops, that didn't work there was a problem try reconnecting to your careas wifi in your iphones settings" with a choice of get support or got it.

Something's definately up with this unit since the latest firmware, gonna have to contact support at this point. Shame I only got to use it for an event years back and now it's acting up. Go figure.