Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Don't update GoPro 9...Weird issues...Vertical line

[ New ]

Video has a vertical line in all my footage i took today.

Tourist

Re: Don't update GoPro 9...Weird issues...Vertical line

[ New ]

Me too, i found some vertical line in the middle of my video,

3_verticle_line_showup.jpg

1_start.jpg
Explorer

[ New ]
Known issue. GoPro is working on a fix. Update should come soon.
Nomad

[ New ]

they need to stop fixing sh1t whilst working on the next failure

actually give a product a decent lifespan to refine it or even perfect it.........?

look at any other camera manufacturers none have a best before date within 12 months of launch - in gopro land its actual a best after date..... 12 months after launch once it fixed to a point thats "meh thats good enough time to move on"

GoPro

[ New ]

@reken808, @pwijaya, we'd like to gather a few more details as we look further into this issue. Do you get the same results through the in-camera playback? Or what about when you transfer the media file directly to your computer for playback?

Have you also already tried to manually reinstall the camera's firmware update? Using an SD card adapter, connect your microSD card to your computer and follow the Manual Update instructions specified in this article

Tourist

[ New ]

That is the line that I got in all my footage that I shot 1080p 240 FPS, not sure if it happens on other settings.

Tourist

[ New ]

I am having the same issue at 1080p. For me the issue comes and goes as you can see in my video below:

https://youtu.be/RXtWtLUuRLM

I posted another thread and GoPro have said they are looking into it:

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Vertical-Line-Exposure-issue-since-1-5-update/m-p/896186/high...

I hope this helps anyone else having the issue.

Buddhism is not something most people associate with when they think of living in Australia. However Australia has many Buddhist Temples and Retreats. In thi...
Nomad

[ New ]

Exactly the same problem, only in linear mode with 200 fps a very visible vertical line. Gopro fix it please! (or I'll take my money back)

GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks for the details and apologies for the inconvenience this may be causing you. We'll have this forwarded to the team in charge. We'll keep everyone posted as soon as new information is available.

Sightseer

[ New ]
I have the exact same problem in my brand new GoPro 9. When will we be able to use our camera again? Or should it be returned?
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @christinal47684. Our team is looking into the issue. We will definitely post back once we have new information or instructions from the team. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

The problem is also present for me in 1080p 50fps in superview. The same line is present on all of my videos with these settings and without protune.

Hiker

[ New ]

Habe ebenfalls vertikale Linien im Video seit dem Update auf Firmware 1.5. Filme für gewöhnlich mit 1080p 50p in Linear. Das ist ein absoluter Killer!! Eine Filmaufnahme deren Qualität völlig versaut ist durch vertikale Linien? Abolutes NoGo! Sind schon ein paar nicht wiederholbare Aufnahmen damit unbrauchbar geworden, das ärgert total. Habe mich ja eigentlich auf das Update gefreut, da nun endlich die geplante Aufnahme geht, aber das ist ja jetzt viel schlimmer! So kann die Kamera nicht mehr verwendet werden! Wann wird es hierfür ein Update geben?? Alternativ bitte die 1.22 Firmware zum Download bereitstellen, so dass wenigstens das Filmen passt.

Bzw. wo kann man die Firmware 1.22 runterladen und ist ein Downgrade möglich?

Tourist

[ New ]

La linea appare anche in riproduzione sullo schermo del dispositivo! 

Proverò la reinstallazione tramite SD.

Per favore teneteci aggiornati, l'ho avuta da nemmeno 5 giorni!

Tourist

[ New ]

Grazie, perchè è un problema comunque gravissimo di cui gli utenti non sono di certo responsabili

Hiker

[ New ]

Echt enttäuschend, dass GoPro bei so einem Problem es nicht mal schafft die vorherige Firmware Version zur Installation bereit zu stellen. Die Bildqualität muss passen und das tut sie im Moment leider nicht! Die Kamera kann so nicht eingesetzt werden und ist wertlos! GoPro, so schafft man es Kunden zu vergraulen.

Tourist

[ New ]

Same problem here, with the SanDisk extrem SD card provided by GoPro in the package. Let's wait for a fix. 

Screenshot 2020-12-30 at 13.25.26.png
Tourist

[ New ]

Looks like we found a workaround. Change your Frequency from 50hz to 60hz, or 60to50. And the issue disappears. It is weird, because it does not matter if you are in 50 or 60hz, it matters if you change it.

Hope this help.

Nomad

[ New ]

Thanks @matt-d , I did change the Antiflicker Hz and it made a difference but after a while, from seconds to 1 minute, comes again (in Linear and Narrow). Noticed that lasts longer when EV. compensation is set to 0, ISO max. to 6400; anything I do to darken the automatic exposure makes the problem appear earlier. Even tried in manual mode and nothing, yes, it lasts seconds longer to appear.

For a brand new camera its totally unacceptable, when people reach for help here because we all want to keep the product, you find GoPro is still hiding to give answers. I looked the forum and is full of this in different problems! WTF

Everyone knows what is selling a faulty product and its consequences! 

Nomad

[ New ]

SOLVED! @reken808 @pwijaya @christinal47684 @mamax57 @maximilian178 

Good news: a person shared me the firmware version 1.22 and I tried it to ensure it's not my camera that's faulty, and it worked, it's a firmware update issue. The lesson of the story is to do manual updates installation in the microSD card and store each update like the generous person that gave me the 1.22

Link to the webpage where he posted the update file: https://www.goproforums.com/threads/lets-note-all-the-gopro-hero-9-black-bugs-and-issues-here.85058/...

If any problem I can always share the file myself.

Obvious bad news: GoPro have still to fix this firmware problem! 

Take care!

Nomad

[ New ]

Another community user just posted the 1.22 update version: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqFX9WjXhYYRmPRob92okPLnKqA1JQ?e=fnWFW2

Have tested it and works fine.

Nomad

[ New ]

Tourist

[ New ]

thanks @isaakonfire i will try these new update

Tourist

[ New ]

hello.

i've phoned GOPRO today for this probleme.

a new firmware will appear on the end of january.

i hope it will be ok.

so they give me the choice, i can returne my gopro to have a new one or wait the new firmware to see if it's good.

i say i've "downdate" it, and this is not a problem for them! the warranty is still ok.

i'll we stay in firmware 1.22 for the moment, try the new 1.55 (when it'll be here) and if it's still not good return my cam to see what they'll do with it.

wait and see....

Nomad

[ New ]

Great news! Thanks for sharing!

I phoned today too, didn't answer the phone. I will continue trying to contact them.

About returning the GoPro, I'm asking directly to other 9 users if they can confirm they got also this issue, one Youtuber said he didn't with 1.5, maybe it's not 100% assured that the problem is the firmware only.

I want to know if some Gopros have this problems and others doesn't, and if that's the case, I want to know if my Gopro is a faulty product that has skipped the manufacture quality controls and as a customer the right to receive a Gopro without malfunctions.

By now I've seen so much customers around here with the same exact problems about new products that I wouldn't trust 100% anything.

Tourist

[ New ]

WIth firmware 1.5, 4k60 mine shoots perfect! No lines etc... 
Of course after 10 minutes of recording i use it to boil water, but that seems to be an extra feature of GoPro 9 Black!

Hiker

[ New ]

agreed we use ours over winter to keep the tent warm, but hung off the ceiling recording 2.7k as not to burn it down

Nomad

[ New ]

@laureh0 wha..don't post this private information here! It's been removed from the forum by GoPro in fact, is very important that no one can claim to be the owner of your product! 

XD

Nomad

[ New ]

@dpyxaras @rapidalp1534 Your Gopro makes vertical lines in 1080 x8 slowmotion in linear, linear HL and Narrow ? Sometimes takes from seconds to a minute to appear. Please any info in that aspect would be deeply appreciated.

Nomad

[ New ]

GX010067_175408195.JPG
Hiker

[ New ]

Same issue here.

Not much to add to what others said and what I said in other similar posts, except that I believe gopro owes us a functonnal firmware, and also a tool to fix our messed up footage.

I'll contact the support and can only invite you all to do the same to give more weight to this request

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi all.

So after installing fw 1.22 (as suggested in various related threads), I gave it anoter try today with various settings (1080p50 Superview, 4K25 Linear+, 1080p200 Linear+) : no issues anymore, so it really looks like it's directly related to fw 1.50.

However, when I reached out to customer service to report the issue on my camera (along with other issues such as "freezes", or "camera powering off automatically with 20% battery left and a "low battery" message") I was told that this issue is not related to fw 1.50, but with an 'internal' problem, unrelated to firmware.

Obviously I find it very hard to believe given the tests results I and others got + updates given by some people coming from gopro teams, so I argued with the guy on the phone about it, but after some wait, discussing with his team, he insisted that it's the motherboard, and that the issue must have been there the whole time, just not triggered until after using the camera for some time (which is also unlikely since I wasn't able to reproduce anymore after downgrading to 1.22)

Anyway, he told me to return my gopro for an exchange, so I'm sending it tomorrow, and I'll run some tests when the new one comes in.

By this time, maybe a new firmware fixing the issue will also be available if as I expect, the new gopro has similar issues... Or maybe only some gopros have a faulty motherboard causing the 1.50 fw to act up like this.

Last but not least I asked him about a tool to fix our messed up footage, and he said nothing is ready but did not rule it out completely, so I'm not sure if they are actually working on such a tool. I'll definitely bring it up again whenever the firmware is fixed.

I don't know if other people have been asked to return their gopro for an exchange, and I surely don't count on this too much to fix the issue, but anyway, that's where I'm at, and felt this needed to be shared. To be continued...

Nomad

[ New ]

Guys watch out I just replaced my GoPro 9 because I had the audio popping problem and the 1.5 vertical lines in slowmotion it's gone, also sound popping now is good (how it should be), 
The first thing I did was charge the battery then a manual 1.5 Update install and everything good.

Hiker

[ New ]

@isaakonfire interesting ! So you reached out to customer service and they asked you to return the gopro to have it replaced ? Did they explain more ?

I realize I forgot to update this thread (I added comments to all other threads that I knew of related to this issue) : so in short, I had a talk to customer service yesterday for this issue (and others) and I was told to return my camera because it's a motherboard issue, not a firmware issue. TBH, I was very skeptical, because I had installed 1.22 before calling them, and could not reproduce the issue after downgrading, but I figured maybe 1.50 triggers the issue only if the motherboard is faulty. Plus I would be very surprised that gopro chooses to replace cameras if they weren't sure there's some hardware issue involved. So maybe a combination of both is the root cause.

Anyway, I shipped it today, so in 1 or 2 weeks I should have a brand new gopro.

I was planning on keeping it with the installed firmware (hoping it's not 1.50) until a new firmware comes out has good feedback, but if you can confirm after a few days / weeks that evrything is still fine, and other people have the same experience with replaced gopros, I might give it a try.

Nomad

[ New ]

I had this sound popping issue that looking around here it's old at least from several months and have people very affected: https://youtu.be/i2kPGWdGhtU

That for me was the final decision to ask for a devolution in my shop because faulty defects on product, but surprise when I see not only the popping audio was no more with the new one but also the vertical line!

Worth mentioning is that with the older one I did several things not very good:

1.I didn't have a legit sd card at the beginning and putted the one of my cell phone, no apparent problems just short storage memory.

2.The first update went error when I tried it through my tablet, had to do it twice.

Now after battery charging I manually installed the 1.5 update with a legit sdCard, with the old Gopro didn't make any difference apart from storage.

Nomad

[ New ]

Sorry guys, I was just reviewing slowmo samples and the vertical line just came back, my audio popping is fixed but vertical lines persist. I don't think it's a hardware problem, it should be fixed by the next update.

Tourist

[ New ]

GoPro reached the bottom and is now digging it.

Just talked with their support. It is a firmware issue, they know about it but wait for it... they DON'T know when it will be fixed. Meanwhile, they advise me to wait or use different settings. I asked them if they will give me the money back until they fix it, the answer was "NO".

So pity to see how once a great company reached such a lows.

Hiker

[ New ]

i think i have found a temporary FIX

i have tested this on two different modes and i am pretty sure that if you make sure that in protune, EV comp is on 0, it should stop the line in the middle, this is a good fix whilst they are trying to figure it out

Hiker

[ New ]

change ev comp to 0

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi Lukehn, my EV comp was already on 0. However, what I found out is that by simply changing it, it fixes the Issue. Not sure for how long however... What I did is decreasing it to 0.5, taking a short clip (No issue present) and then moving it back to 0. Now the issue is not present, at least at 120 FPS.

How pity is that user should try to find and propose fixes rather than GoPro support. 

What annoys me is not so much the issues and the bugs, but the way GoPro is never honest and up-front with their customers about the problems. If they had sent an email about the issue, informing, apologizing and possibly providing a workaround while they are fixing the issue, thousands of people wouldn't have their footage of possibly precious memories ruined.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi all, I have read a few of the replies to this and thought I would chime in.

I just got my GoPro the other day, and yesterday I did a test with it. I mounted it to the dash of my car and used 1080p @ 60 fps in Super Wide. ALL the footage I shot with it in this mode has the vertical line issue. My EV was already at 0 as well. I didn't try to change the EV and then change it back, as I just discovered this thread this morning and saw that as a possible temporary fix.

I bought a ton of accessories for this thing because I was unaware of any issues going on, but combing through this forum for help on a  couple of things, I am starting to regret my purchases. I really hope this firmware issue is resolved soon. I see it's already been over a month since they knew about it....

Hiker

[ New ]

UPDATE: After looking threw the forums this morning on this virtical line issue, I read a couple replies and thought I would give them a try.

I decided to re-install the latest firmware version manually via my PC, and my initial testing appears to show the issue is now gone.

Here are the steps I took to do that in case anyone else wants to give it a try.

1. BEFORE doing anything, just to be sure I covered all the possible scenerios, I factory reset the gopro, and re-formated the SD card IN the camera thorugh the preferences menu.

2. I then went to this link on the GoPro site:
https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero9-black

I clicked on "Update your camera manually" under the "Other Wayst To Update" section.

3. I entered my serial number and e-mail address as prompted, agreed to the terms of use, and clicked "Net Step".

4. At the top of the next page, I clicked on "Download update" and followed the instructions the rest of the page listed, which included removing the SD card from the camera and inserting it into my PC.

5. With the update files extraed in the main directory of my SD card, and with the camera shut off,  I re-inserted the SD card into the camera and powered it on.

6. The update started automatically. After the update, the camera rebooted.

7.I went through the intial setup settings, and once I got back to the main screen where I could start shooting video, I then went back into the preferences section and again factory reset the camera under the prefences menu again. This extra step may or may not have been needed, but knowing tech like I do, this was an extra step that could have saved headaches down the road.

8. The camera rebooted, and I went into shooting mode, and set everything up the way I set it up yesterday when I had the vertticle line issue. This was 1080p @ 60fps with super wide on and most the other options at their default. I shot a good 15 minuest of footage in random lighting conditions, and the issue was gone.

Tourist

[ New ]

у меня точно такие же проблемы и конкретно с режимом 1080/240 кадров в секунду. вначале видео всё нормально, буквально через несколько секунд появляется вертикальяна линия, которая сама ещё двигается по экрану. это видно и на самой камере, и на компьютере. мне не помогло ни автоматическое обновление, ни ручное, где нужно закачивать Update файл на карту памяти. у меня умерло пару нужных мне видео из-за этой вертикальной линии... я не знаю что делать дальше

3.jpg
Hiker

[ New ]
Had the same exact issue. I thought manually updating the firmware with my PC fixed the issue, as I did not see the verticle line down the video on my initial test footage.

However, later on in the day, I attached the camera to my windshield, and a couple of minutes into the video the verticle line popped right back into view.

I just found a Microsoft OneDrive user who has the 1.22 firmware available for public downloading. I just manually installed that older firmware on my camera. It installed successfully from what I can tell, and I will be doing some more test shots today with it.

If you would like to try and roll back to the last firmware version, you can download it here:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=118685d768f557a1&id=118685D768F557A1%21408168&authkey=!AG_dqJDy5yqgNS...
Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks, for some reason when I tried to download the file from the link it moved it instead of coping it.

I'm sharing a new link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArB4HeYaM1MGqqBaR6R-sXB_GHnk_w?e=lxPamt 

Tourist

[ New ]

私も同じ現象に悩まされています。画面の中央から左右に分かれて色が違います。

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello everyone. The firmware version 1.52 for the HERO9 Black was just released today. One of the performance improvements included in this new version fixes the vertical line or divided image exposure issue in the camera.

We appreciate your patience. Let us know if anything else comes up

Tourist

[ New ]

Finally, Thanks GoPro !

@aenriquez wrote:

Hello everyone. The firmware version 1.52 for the HERO9 Black was just released today. One of the performance improvements included in this new version fixes the vertical line or divided image exposure issue in the camera.

We appreciate your patience. Let us know if anything else comes up

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm sure you know that it is not fixed, but it is now much, less visible.

Tourist

[ New ]
I'm sure you know that it is not fixed, but it is now much, less visible.