Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Don't own a GoPro...how good is wifi range?

Hi All - I'm interested in getting a GoPro for family videos surfing/wakeboarding behind our boat.

Another usage that would be very helpful is if I could use the GoPro as a live view back-up cam to help see what's behind the boat as our boat launch is almost a 90deg turn and difficult to see around the boat.  How good is the wifi range and connectivity?  I imagine I could attach the GoPro to the tower in the middle of the boat and use my cell phone inside the truck to see what's going on behind the boat live.  The distance would be ~30ft.

Do certain model GoPro suit themselves better for this application?

Thanks in advance!

PS - I tried using a cheap costco adventure cam w/ WiFi and this feature worked fine if you were within 10ft of the device, but basically lost signal beyond this distance.

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Don't own a GoPro...how good is wifi range?

@jacobk3847, the GoPro App's range is between 35-50 feet depending on the wireless interference in your area.

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Don't own a GoPro...how good is wifi range?

Thank you @aenriquez 

Do you know if the live preview is close to an instant view of what the camera is seeing?  Or is there a lag of a couple seconds?