Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

Does this image show dust on the lens glass? (how do I get rid of it?)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

A couple of days ago I noticed a "fingerprint" appear on my Hero 8 Black footage whenever the camera catches direct sunlight.

It "dances around" in playback so I took my lens protector off, cleaned the lens glass, and then put a new lens protector on.

Today, the "fingerprint" is still there. as big as ever in terms of area.

However, it is much more uniform than before in that there are no longer any darker areas within the fingerprint (it had previously looked like a cell with a nucleus ).

When I cleaned the lens glass I used a wet wipe that came with the lens protector.

Do I need to clean it several times or is there something that is better than a wet wipe?

I would very much appreciate any help or advice that you can give - I'm just hoping that there isn't anything seriously wrong with the camera.

John Latter

Gopro Hero 8 Black ArtifactClose-up of Artifact

goprofingerprint2.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Does this image show dust on the lens glass? (how do I get rid of it?)

This is lens flare, it's caused by the light hitting the lens of the camera, defracting somewhat and relecting against the lens protector.

The reason it appears to be moving is due to the EIS cropping and repositining your picture to make the horizon look level and more smooth.

The simple way to get rid of this would be to change the way you shoot (don't film pointing the direction of the sun, keep the sun to your back etc) or use a camera hood to cast a shadow over the lens (the shadow or hood wouldn't be visible in frame but it would get rid of lense flare).

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Adventurer

Yep confirmed.   LENS FLARE DEFINITION What is lens flare?

Lens flare is caused by a bright light source shining into the lens. Lens flare is a non-image forming light that is scattered in the lens system after it hits the front element of a lens. It reflects off the surfaces of glass in the lens. Depending on the shape of the glass inside, will yield that shape on the photo. Lenses with a large number of elements like zoom lenses are often most susceptible to lens flare. Flare is usually thought to be damaging to an image but there are times when it can be used to enhance the quality of the picture.

How to eliminate lens flare:
  • Try using a lens hood to avoid extra scattering light
  • Use lenses less susceptible to flare, like prime lenses
  • Block light and adjust angle of camera to light source

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Nomad

This is lens flare, it's caused by the light hitting the lens of the camera, defracting somewhat and relecting against the lens protector.

The reason it appears to be moving is due to the EIS cropping and repositining your picture to make the horizon look level and more smooth.

The simple way to get rid of this would be to change the way you shoot (don't film pointing the direction of the sun, keep the sun to your back etc) or use a camera hood to cast a shadow over the lens (the shadow or hood wouldn't be visible in frame but it would get rid of lense flare).

Highlighted
Adventurer

Yep confirmed.   LENS FLARE DEFINITION What is lens flare?

Lens flare is caused by a bright light source shining into the lens. Lens flare is a non-image forming light that is scattered in the lens system after it hits the front element of a lens. It reflects off the surfaces of glass in the lens. Depending on the shape of the glass inside, will yield that shape on the photo. Lenses with a large number of elements like zoom lenses are often most susceptible to lens flare. Flare is usually thought to be damaging to an image but there are times when it can be used to enhance the quality of the picture.

How to eliminate lens flare:
  • Try using a lens hood to avoid extra scattering light
  • Use lenses less susceptible to flare, like prime lenses
  • Block light and adjust angle of camera to light source
Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Thanks, irishmanpdx- if it goes with the territory then I'm happy with that!

Highlighted
Hiker

Thank you, fishycomics :)

Highlighted
Nomad

All above is a good advice. One more think you can try is to degrease the lens. I would use lens cleaning fluid, isopropyl alcohol, or since gopro is waterproof maube soap and water (I did not try that). It will not eliminate flare but will help

Highlighted
Hiker

@bovk wrote:

All above is a good advice. One more think you can try is to degrease the lens. I would use lens cleaning fluid, isopropyl alcohol, or since gopro is waterproof maube soap and water (I did not try that). It will not eliminate flare but will help

I will try lens cleaning fluid once my lens protectors arrives.

Also, I have a silicon casing and a foam anti-wind noise casing that might help a bit, too.

I'm just relieved that nothing is broken or needs fixing!