Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: Does the Hero 5 Sessions actually have HDMI output?

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay, just got off the phone with Samy's Camera in Los Angeles.  They opened up a Session 5 for me and YES, it DOES have an HDMI mini on it.  I'm purchasing one now.

a picture will win me, I believe he is callign that USB type C a HDMI.I am an owner of a Hero 5 Session and Hero 5 Black. the Hero 5 black has both the Hero 5 Session only a USB type C but maybe it is a Brand new camera o nthe market  released. 

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

The HERO5 Session has a USB-C output.

Highlighted
Adventurer

Output doing ewhat?

Highlighted
Anonymous

Okay.  Just received the Session 5 through the mail and apparently they either showed me a prototype, or lied to me, or both.  No HDMI.  Now I have to go through the hassel of returning it.  Again:  NO HDMI.  Sorry for the confusion, but this came from 2 GoPro reps at the recent NAB Convention.

Highlighted
Adventurer

@Anonymous

Not good business to lie to one    I bet their return answe was oh I thought you ment the H5 black

Highlighted
Backpacker

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay.  Just received the Session 5 through the mail and apparently they either showed me a prototype, or lied to me, or both.  No HDMI.  Now I have to go through the hassel of returning it.  Again:  NO HDMI.  Sorry for the confusion, but this came from 2 GoPro reps at the recent NAB Convention.

@Anonymous

H5S never had a mini HDMI... although there are USB c to HDMI converters out there.  Like this one from monoprice: https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=15244&gclid=CjwKEAjwutXIBRDV7-SDvdiNsUoSJACIlTql6EBIUY07e0_aSFzW0TzxFzyEVZlLwQgQ8XDCzLF6lRoCfmLw_wcB

Now whether it will work with a GP H5S is another Q. 

Why do you desire an action cam with HDMI out?

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Just to let you all know, I had the same issue with the hdmi through usb c. After calling and mailing several times to the support they said that it is because of third party adapters (usb-c to hdmi) which are not working.

I have made videos to show my setup, firmware updates, ..., everything on their request.

Here is my final correspondance with them:

Support:

Another thing to try is changing your camera's settings from NTSC to PAL TV mode since it sound like you are not in North America. You may do this by accessing the full settings using a mobile device under the tool wrench icon once you have a live preview on your phone/tablet. Select the video format option PAL and try your HDMI connections again with Wi-Fi OFF.

Me:

I have tried all combinations already as mentioned on the phone several times. The videos were to show the fact that I'm able to get it working on an other GoPro but not on the Hero 5 Session. Is it possible to send me a video that demonstrates the working Hero 5 Session connected to a HDMI display via an USB-C to HDMI adapter? In that case I can just make sure I have the same setup. 

Support:

Thanks for your patience. After consulting with my colleagues, It looks like 3rd party HDMI adapters may be source of the problem. Since the HERO5 Session is a new product launched barely 2 months ago, we are still in the process of providing an official adapter for this product since we see 3rd party products are causing issues. We currently do not have a time frame for when this will be available. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Stay tuned via gopro.com for more information.

Me:

So any adapter that I would have bought would not support the hdmi out? This is a standard defined by a consortium. How is this possible? How come this is not mentioned on any product page of the session? How come this was not mentioned the first time I called for support. In my opinion, when a product comes out it should mention what it can do at that time. Which adapters were used during development to evaluate its working?

Support:

We are truly sorry for the inconvenience. You may also try testing another HERO5 Session from a friend or local retailer to see if the issues persist. If the 2nd test camera works fine, we can replace your camera since this may confirm there is an issue with yours. Unfortunately we do not have an official adapter since the camera launched barely 2 months ago and USB-C is a relatively new connection application worldwide. Please let us know your results. Thank you.

After this I stopped waisting time on it because it was clear that they have no proof of an actual setup that is working. Although support is very friendly I asked on severeal occasions to receive a video with a demonstration. It comes down to the fact that they have put this feature on the advertising and manuals because USB-C in general supports it, but they have not implemented it. Deceiving customers who bought it with this feature in mind.

Highlighted
Backpacker

@bravebeach2166

Why dont you just use a PC to watch?  Why the absolute need for cam to HDMI?  SO many ways around that these days with screencast etc...?  What is your endgame here?