Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Does the GPS not set the internal clock on the Hero 5?

[ New ]

Seems inconceivable to me (yes, I do know what that word means :) ) that the Hero 5 has a GPS in it, but doesn't use GPS time to generate the timecode in the MP4 files and doesn't even update its own internal clock when it has a GPS lock.

Did I miss something, or did they really not figure this out until the 7?  I suppose if this basic function is actually missing I'm screwed.  No way we're getting any new firmware for the 5 at this point.

GoPro Community Manager

Re: Does the GPS not set the internal clock on the Hero 5?

[ New ]

The best way to get the clock synced by the camera pairing to Quik for Desktop. The GPS alone won't reset the internal clock.

Hiker

[ New ]

Well first It's a giant pain when you start talking about multiple cameras to have to connect them all to the phone regularly just to resync the clock.

Then the big problem is that getting the time via Quik isn't acurate enough to use timecode to sync footage across cameras reliably.  It's often off by several frames.  GPS time is accurate to <50 nano-seconds.  It's also continuous.  Even if you sync with Quik, the cameras will drift differently.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hey redjump28722, in your first post you imply that they fixed this in the Hero 7, but my Hero 8 and 9 both regularly lose the time and I get a jumble of videos tagged as 2015-12-31 and 2016-01-01.

I didn't realize syncing from GPS was possible, but now it seems wild that it is not done (including for more mundane clock-drift reasons, let alone total clock resets when battery is dead or removed for more than a few hours).

I'm currently wasting a bunch of time, for the Nth time, trying to figure out what time a bunch of my videos were shot so that I can at least change the UNIX timestamps… no idea how to easily fix the various timestamps embedded in the MP4's. I guess I might try to open up the MP4's and join them against GPX's exported from Strava…? Pretty annoying!

Backpacker

[ New ]

Wow, if only there was some sort of firmware that enabled you to use GPS sync for your video's.  Some sort of Firmware from GoPro that enables expirimental features.  Almost if people in a Lab were trying out new things for GoPro, advanced features that people could use on their camera's.  Of course such a thing in totally ficticious and would never happen.  I mean, they'd even have to give it a name like ....i dunno... GoPro Labs...   

Classic QR Commands for Labs Enabled Cameras

Latest Labs QR Commands (requires 2021 firmware)

How it works

This improves the timecode track precision. While this works best outdoors with a clear GPS signal, it is harmless to have active in all shooting locations and modes. If there is a good GPS signal, the camera’s internal clock will be precisely updated, but only minute and second fields. It will not update the hour or day, as it preserves your current timezone offset, so this doesn’t remove the need for initial setup for time and date. This feature updates the MP4s timecode track at the end of capture, so it a good GPS time occurs after the capture begins, the timecode will be accurate. In tools like Adobe Premiere Pro, multiple camera angles can be synchronized using timecode. In limited testing, sync is typically within a frame or two, but your precision my vary.

Tourist

[ New ]

OK, I guess I am learning that you can set up GoPro Labs on your cameras, then you can point them at QR codes that give them various extra/experimental capabilities or cause them to perform actions.

Several of these capabilities have to do with setting the camera's date+time without the hassle of connecting via the Quik app: local time, UTC time, GPS time-sync.

The GPS version sounds most promising, but the labs page says:

> It will not update the hour or day, as it preserves your current timezone offset, so this doesn’t remove the need for initial setup for time and date.

I assume that also applies when the camera's time+date have been reset due to the battery being out for N hours. It's also only available on the HERO 9, and seems targeted at fine-grained syncing of multiple cameras. I just want my 8 and 9 to notice that it is never 2015-12-31 or 2016-01-01.

The local/UTC ones seem better than doing it through the app, so I guess the protocol is:

1. leave batteries in camera while stored
  2. check/rotate them periodically bc they still run out
  3. before going out to film, check date+time 
  4. if it's reset, load the labs page (home-screen widget on phone seems good; desktop web easy if haven't left house yet), point cameras at it to fix them

It seems that this could all be obviated if the cameras just synced from GPS automatically, but this is at least better; I didn't even realize what was causing the occasional resets for over a year, until this last time which was frustrating enough that I started googling around.

Backpacker

[ New ]

Your batteries shouldn't run down (that) quick if left in the camera.  I usually leave mine in for 2 or 3 weeks with only a max of 7% loss of power.  Things that can run down your battery are leaving hindsight turned on and wake on voice turned on.  That way your camera is always powered on and waiting for input and that of course runs down your batteries.

The GoPro Labs firmware can set the clock on your camera's with the QR code, then you can let the GPS time feature look after the rest.  It's handier than going into the settings individually on each camera or connecting to each camera with the app and hitting the "Set time and date".  Might as well give it a try!