Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Does Smart Remote work with Hero 9 Black

[ New ]

cant get it to work with the smart remote, i think there will come a new remote in 2021. 

anyone can get it to work?

I was so happy that the remote release came, not dit not work :-( 

Nomad

[ New ]

The smart remote does not work with the GoPro Hero 9, it never has and never will.  The GoPro Hero 9 will use a new remote:

https://gopro.com/en/us/news/gopro-launches-new-the-remote-

Tourist

[ New ]

I read multiply posts saying the Smart Remote worked with the 9 until the first firmware update. Is that not true?

Nomad

[ New ]

It depends on who you ask.  I can tell you my experience and the experience of others who did some testing on this very issue which we communicated closely on (screen shots, video etc).

1:  Out of the box, the GoPro Hero 9 had the option to connect to the smart remote.  This is most likely due to ported firmware.

It did not however manage to connect to the smart remote.  Just wouldn't do it.

2:  Some people managed to come up with a way to "Trick" the smart remote into connecting with the GoPro Hero 9.  However, this proved to be unreliable and the camera would often lock up and not respond.  So would I consider this "working with the smart remote" no, absolutely not.

Don't forget, the smart remote is over 8 years old at this point, I never found it to be that reliable and it's long past due an update.

Nomad

[ New ]

OMG, what a big list of complaining.

I'm using my hero 9 withe samsung gear sport watch as a remote. This app works great with the hero 9 and all my other camera's.

So for everybody who needs a remote, just get yourself a watch and buy this app.

Now that gopro just has released their new remote, this problem is also solved.

I live in EU, so I need to wait a while.

So at this moment I'm happy with my watch and as soon as the remote is available in EU, I will go get myself one.

Also the GPS issue is also fixed with the hero 9, tested it out this weekend and worked perfect.

At this moment very happy with the 9, specially with the lens mod.

And about this topic, this should be closed, gopro has released the solution, everybody said he's thoughts :-)

Tourist

[ New ]

That's all fine and dandy if:

1)  You've got a couple/few hundred bucks laying around to buy a Galaxy watch

2)  Already have one (I love my Watch 2 Active)

3)  Only need to control one camera

4)  Don't need to wear any gloves or anything else that'd screw with using the watch's touch screen

5)  Have the time and ability to futz with a watch/touch screen every time you need to trigger your (single) camera

6)  Probably other caveats that I'm not thinking of

For sure that will work just fine for some.  But I can tell you it'd be utterly worthless for my uses.  For one, I use my cameras for mountain biking, and definitely do not take my Galaxy watch on rides.  I've managed to break Casio G-Shocks, the Galaxy watch doesn't stand a chance.  Next up, I'm wearing gloves, and even the best 'touch screen friendly' gloves out there aren't gonna work very well on the small screen of the watch.  Lastly, I run two cameras... one chest mount and one attached to the seat facing rearward.  Having them both start/stop at the same time simplifies things dramatically when riding, and also makes pairing up clips in editing a lot easier so I can flip back and forth between views. 

It's actually difficult enough to reach over and start/stop the camears when the remote is mounted to my handlebars, which may happen multiple times during a long technical descent.  (Start when cresting a climb, record, stop for boring footage of climbing an intermediate hill, rinse and repeat.)

Obviously everyone doesn't have the same use case I do, but any one of the above reasons would be enough to make the watch option a no go for many.  (Although I'm glad you posted it since I like having options, and for non-riding filming, I may just put it to use some day.)

Kinda moot either way since the new remote just landed on my doorstep today and will be getting some testing done asap.  It'd be hard to make a remote crappier than the outgoing model, so I have high hopes =)

Tourist

[ New ]
I'm glad you voiced my thoughts. I couldn't be bothered! I have a Galaxy watch which I use to control my camera whilst kitesurfing, but it'd be easier if my remote still worked
Hiker

[ New ]
Mine just showed up, tried all functions, actually works Great... can’t wait to start using my new Hero 9 now😎👍